Wasatch Moose!

thecheese

Whelp, I never thought I would say this but I actually pulled a Wasatch Moose tag. Needless to say I'm pretty excited. I'm going to try to get it done with my bow. I plan on scouting and researching as much as I can. I'm not super familiar with the unit so any tips or advice would be appreciated. I have a few friends that are familiar with the area and I'm going to put in as much time as possible but would welcome any help I could get.

Thanks

If I had that moose tag I would identify drainages with water and willows and start looking there. I would also become very friendly. You can burn plenty days and petrol without a sighting, but campers/hikers/archery hunters, etc. often spot them in their coming and going. A little curious chit-chat can sometimes lead you to a pot of gold.

Best of luck

Hi thecheese

Congrats on the tag! That will be an awesome hunt. I hunt the Wasatch for deer with my bow, and we usually turn up a couple of decent bulls each year. I will be hunting it again this year, and will keep an eye out for a decent bull. PM me your contact information if you like, and I will let you know when we see a decent bull. Very doable with your bow in my opinion. Good luck, and congrats on the tag

I had the Kamas tag in 2009, got a 45" wide bull. First thing I would do is buy an any bull elk tag! I didn't and could have killed three different raghorns. Best thing to do is ask every person you see if they have seen any moose. Everybody wants to talk about seeing a moose, even treehuggers! I killed mine on the top of the mountain in sagebrush and quakies. Look everywhere, not just by water and willows.

Looking for any info on the Kamas unit for moose. We are learning the area but wondering where the moose like to hang out? any help would be great? thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-16 AT 06:39PM (MST)[p]deerelkalope, can you tell me some areas that are better than others? thanks

I hunted the drainages off both sides of the Mirror Lake highway. Saw a couple bulls by Smith-Morehouse reservoir. Saw my bull in Shingle Mill drainage first time, then he crossed the highway and went up high. There was a bull in the campground off Mirror lake highway, about 40" but no palms at all.I may be able to go out with you when the hunt gets closer.

hi, I'm looking for any info on the kamas moose unit. tying to learn the area wondering if there are areas better than others? thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom