Water purification

Bruinbrewin

What types of water purification tablets or drops do you take with for a backup to your filtration system and why you use that for backup? I read good things about Aquamira, is that the best there is for purification? Are drops better than tablets? It was suggested that i take some means of a backup plan since filters do freeze up and I will most likely be camping with temps in the teens. I think this is a great suggestion and very little weight for the 24 tablet packet. Appreciate your thoughts.
BB

Aqua Mira drops and tablets are the same. Most will agree that the tablets are easier to use. Micro Pur by katadyn is also the same chemical as Aqua Mira...Chlorine dioxide I believe. Not to many use iodine any more.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Another nod for the Katadyn MicroPur tablets. Great for a backup, each tablet will treat a nalgene bottle of water.
Tip: Leave the tablets in their wrap otherwise they will turn to dust.

>Tip: Leave the tablets in their
>wrap otherwise they will turn
>to dust.

Can you expand on that a little???? What was the actual shelf life in your experience?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I have a 2 liter bladder currently and I will buy a 2nd bladder so I can have a 2 day supply of water on hand. My plans are to fill both with the Hiker pro every 2 days and have the tablets as back up in case the Hiker pro freezes up on me. Would I be better off buying the Katadyn base camp? Those look pretty interesting, just hang it and I would have fresh water ready for me the next day. The only downfall is temps at night will most likely be in the low 30's and last week scouting they were in the teens. Looks like I will be using tablets the whole trip and going to water each day.
BB

You could by a sawyer inline filter that only weighs about 2ozs and only costs about $25. It has a .01 micron filter and does the same job as a pump. I have'nt measured the flow rate, but the water trickles through pretty fast. I would say it does 2 liters in less than 10 minutes.....even faster if you squeeze the bag. I usually only carry 2 16oz plastic bottles (throw away) type and (1) 2 liter platypus. I fill the bag, attach filter with 4-6" of tubing, when I want to fill up my bottles I turn it upright and squeeze. It only takes a minute or so to fill the 2 bottles....same thing when I need water to cook with.

>I strongly suggest using Nalgene bottles
>over the throw aways.

Too heavy.

They are heavier but they hold up to abuse and they have never leaked on me. The throw away bottles don't seem to hold up to boiling and freezing. I also prefer the wide mouth of the Nalgenes.

Nalgenes are one of my staples.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Between the 2 bottles, the resevoir, and a 600ml snow peak ti mug I think I'll survive. I understand where your coming from with the whole ragged edge deal, but sometimes I think you have no perception of weight at all. If I planned for every little thing that might happen I'd need 2 pack horses.

I carry what I reccommend, I think I have a pretty good feel for what the load is but I am always looking for ways to shave weight. What do you think I should cut?

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

5 drops of bleach per liter of water and wait 30 minutes to purify. You can make a light and cheap filter if there are a lot of solids in the water.

>I carry what I reccommend, I
>think I have a pretty
>good feel for what the
>load is but I am
>always looking for ways to
>shave weight. What do
>you think I should cut?
>
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

The only way I see that naglene bottle being an option is if you were cold camping without a stove or pot. Or if its your ONLY water storage device which is stupid in my opinion anyways. Most people carry a bladder of some sort and pot or mug for cooking which is usually exeptable.....I just add 2 throw away bottles.
How many water storage devices do you carry?

I have another question I could use some help on, if the temps where I will be camping are probably going to drop into the twenties or possibly the teens at night but warm up to high thirties or forties during the day would you leave the filter at home and just take the tablets?
BB

Depends on the quality of the water. If it's clean (clear and free of a lot of solids) then I wouldn't take the filter, but you will still need to purify.

Tablets will take a lot longer with cold water, make sure you read the directions. Is there fresh snow on the ground? You could just make water by boiling snow and kill two birds with one stone. If there is no snow and you don't like the ultraviolet Steripen then I would go filter.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Hardway

My point is that while the Nalgene bottles my be a little heavier than the throw away plastic water/sports drink bottles they take incredible abuse without leaking or failing. You can pour boiling water in them crank the lids down and toss them in your sleeping bag to warm things up before you crawl in and they will not leak a drop. Drop them, run over them, freeze them whatever. They hold up extremely well. I also like the wide mouth because it allows me to easily mix in powders or use them as dry vaults to store small sensitive items. They are also relatively crushproof, quiet and I don't loose the top.

A 32 oz wide mouth loop top round Nalgene bottle weighs 3.7 oz empty. A comparable disposable water bottle or sports drink bottle of the same size weighs 2 oz or give or take. Given the security/peace of mind of the Nalgene I am willing to pay that 1.7 oz weight penalty.

I still use a Camelbak Water beast bladder sometimes when I am carrying a lot of water but they require more care/protection than the Nalgene bottles.

Back to your comment about my lack of perception of gear weight. That is particularly interesting to me because I am usually criticized for being to too much of an ounce counter.

In the last issue of Western Hunter Magazine my Gear Talk article described my late season Arizona Coues deer pack which weighs in complete with water, optics, extra ammo and game cleaning gear at 36 lbs (including the Outdoorsmans frame pack). I believe that the contents and what I carry on my person would allow me to deal with anything I might encounter in that environment and it does not require even one pack horse to carry so I don't understand your comment.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-10 AT 10:29AM (MST)[p]Just a little clarification so people arent mis-informed. You cannot add bleach, chlorine, iodine, or any other chemical to cold mountain water and expect to drink it 30 minutes later. Manufacturers recommend a 4 hour wait time. Now with that being said thats a worse case scenario, but 30 minutes will not clear out all the protozoas in the water. It will get all the viruses (which are not a major concern in mountain water) but bacteria and protozoa are a bigger thicker skinned critter and the cooler the water temp the longer the reaction time needed by the chemicals being added. Filters are the fastest, easiest way to get water quickly.

Jetsled,
Thanks for the order of importance, I was planning on taking my filter and just take precautions to keep it from freezing up on me. I have some Aqua Mira tablets for backup. I will have a days worth of water with me on day one when I set up camp so I will filter out a couple of 4 liter bags and drop some tablets in for drinking and cooking for the next few days. They will also be good ballast for making sure my tent is where I left it when I go to sack out after a full day of hunting.
THX
BB

if you are going to use regular disposable water bottles, dont use the new ones that have 33% less plastic. then they have problems. but i use disposable bottles alot, very light[ wont even measure on most backpacking scales] and will with stand a ton of abuse. i boil water and pour it in them all the time, works great, never, EVER, had a single issue with them not lasting.

BUT the one thing very nice about the nalgene bottle[ which is really the only reason i carry one[ but i dont use a camel back system either] is the measureing on the side. very useful! the mountain house foods are pretty important to use the correct amount of water.[ and i really do enjoy drinking out of a wide mouth bottle better than the others..]

it goes to show that every backpacker uses something a little different?

wade: as far as 36 lbs, how many days would that be for? my 7-8 day pack will always be between 36-38 lbs. is that similer or should i still be cutting weight? when i finally find a lighter pack that i like, and i'm pretty picky, i do believe i can shed a couple pounds in the pack alone. but, although a little heavy, i do love my backpack

Bruinbrewin, if you are concerned that the filter will freeze then you should be just as concerned about the bladder or whatever you are using to store the water. They make a neoprene cover for the hose and bladder that protects them from freezing. I would suggest storing the filter closer to your back in your packpack to keep it somewhat warmer. At night put the bladder and filter in your sleeping bag with you or wrap it in your clothes and keep it close to the bag in your tent. There are a few ways to keep it from freezing. I think you are doing the right thing by have two bladders. I do the same thing. When I am packing in I only keep one filled and then fill the second one once I establish camp. Good luck.

JR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom