WBeulah or SE Metolius Archery

Aaron

My buddy and i have alot of points built up for Oregon and want to blow them. If you had to pick one wich one would U chose. Maybye U might even go with Hart Mt late archery.

The Beulah late archery is a pretty new hunt and i have not met anybody who has drawn it. I know Metolius is good but is the other ones just as good for big bucks and numbers?

Thanks for any info. Dont want to waste this many years! Aaron

HOW MANY POINTS DO YOU HAVE? SE.METOLIUS TAKES 13 POINTY, AND WEST BEULAH TAKES 9.[ oohps, caps were on]. so if you have enough to draw metolius, i dont think you' want to drop down to beulah. but then again, if you just have 9 or 10 points , you are yrs away from the metolius tag- so if you want to cash out, your choice would have to be beulah- does that make sence?

i have a 2 good buddies who have had the beulah tag the last 2 yrs , and there are good bucks there. and i drew the s.e. metolius tag a few yrs ago and there are good bucks there.
IMO between the 2 s.e. metolius tag is alot better, but it's also one of the hardest tags to draw in the state, and not to many people have the points to draw it. just something to think about.

I believe this hunt use to be the SE metolius but now it is the entire unit of the Metolius. I had this hunt and it can be very good but you really need the weather and by all means hike your butt off.

I hunt WBeulah during general archery when I don't draw my general rifle. I have seen allot of bug bucks in the unit, but is tough to hunt them in the high country. I have heard that the late season archery can be a great hunt with early weather to push the big boy's down to the low country where you can glass em' up. I have also heard it is one of those hunts that might take allot of scouting to find the honey hole. Overall I would say that WBeulah would be a tough hunt unless you have lots of time to scout and the Bucks are going to be in different place's that time of year rather than earlier.

I have experience with SE Metolius...it could be a better bet??
hawk

My wife drew W. Beulah last year. She killed a 20" wide 3 point on the 5th day of her hunt. It was only the third buck we found. We saw large groups of does (10+) that had no buck. I packed my camera hoping to get some pictures of big bucks and was disappointed. We hunted the sage brush country at the south end of the unit so I couldn't say what it was like up near Prarie City. SE Met. sounds better.

If you have the points and can draw I would go SE met all the way. Go to odfw web site and compare numbers. Met deer numbers are up and there are a lot of big bucks in the area. Make sure you look inot which unit is closer for you though. You need to put in the scout time if one unit was closer then the other I would go to the closer unit. Mkae sure you scout I hate everyone saying there are no deer when there is you just gotta get out there. shoot me a PM if needed I could give more advice.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-10 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]My buddy has 13 for elk and deer and i have 12 for both elk and deer. Thanks for all the input. Sorry it took so long to get back i have been gone.

No i am not set on archery just thought i would get a better hunt with the bow.

The W. Beulah is not a gimmie. You will look at a ton of Deer, but nothing over 175". There can be a rare giant that shows up, but getting an arrow in him is a whole other ballgame. The problem is that those dates are post-rut, & sneaking in on 20+ head of does without a rutty buck is not going to work in the open sage. It is still a fun hunt though, just don't go into it with high expectations!

Back
Top Bottom