Weapon and Hunting Rights.

gitrdun

I hope this is the proper place for this question, and no I am not "asking for a friend" haha :)

Yesterday I overheard a convicted felon state he was going to possess a muzzleloader deer tag and go hunting. As far as I know, you can't do so if you are a convicted felon. I confronted him and told him it is unlawful but he insists he can with a muzzleloader. I have looked in the 2019 guide book and can't see any info on this matter. Hell I didn't think you could even possess a bow? Any of you MM members know for certain?

It may depend on the laws in the state that the convicted felon resides in.

RELH

Sorry for the long read, but it does answer your question. I know anyone over 18 can legally buy, ship, or receive a black powder "firearm" without a background check!

1. Can a person prohibited by law from possessing a firearm acquire and use a black powder muzzle loading firearm?

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) prohibits felons and certain other persons from possessing or receiving firearms and ammunition (?prohibited persons?). These categories can be found at 18 U.S.C. ? 922(g) and (n) in http://Page on atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf.

However, Federal law does not prohibit these persons from possessing or
receiving an antique firearm. The term ?antique firearm? means any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898. The definition includes any replica of an antique firearm if it is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or uses rimfire or conventional centerfire ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States, and which is not readily available in ordinary channels of commercial trade. Further, any muzzle loading rifle, shotgun, or pistol which is designed to use black powder or black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition, is an ?antique firearm? unless it (1) incorporates a firearm frame or receiver; (2) is a firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon; or (3) is a muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof. See 18 U.S.C. ? 921(a)(3), (a)(16).

Thus, a muzzle loading weapon that meets the definition of an ?antique firearm? is not a firearm and may lawfully be received and possessed by a prohibited person under the GCA. In addition, the GCA defines the term ?ammunition? to mean ?ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm.? Because an ?antique firearm? is not a ?firearm,? it would is lawful for a prohibited person to receive or possess black powder designed for use in an ?antique firearm.? Also, the Federal explosives laws do not make it unlawful for a prohibited person to acquire and possess black powder in quantities not exceeding fifty pounds if it is intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in ?antique firearms.? See 18 U.S.C. ? 845(a)(5)

Source: Page on atf.gov

However, some states do define black powder and/or antique guns as "firearms" for purpose of felon-in-possession. So a felon would need to check their local laws in detail before purchasing.
32.3k Views ? View 23 Upvoters

elkchaserreturns

I found this in an old Upland Game proc. Maybe I am putting to much time and energy into this topic?

ARE YOU ALLOWED TO
POSSESS A WEAPON?

It is Illegal under Utah Code 76-10-503 to
possess or use a firearm, muzzleloader, archery
tackle, or any other dangerous weapon if you:

-Have been convicted of or are under
indictment for any felony offense;
-Are on probation or parole for a
felony offense;
-Are on parole from a secure facility;
-Have been adjudicated delinquent
(juvenile) in the last seven years of an
offense, which if committed by an adult
would have been a felony;
-Are an unlawful user of a controlled
substance;
-Have been found not guilty by reason of
insanity for a felony offense;
-have been found mentally incompetent
to stand trial for a felony offence;

Hello gitrdun,
I think it is a valid question. If I had a felony on my record, I would check the laws of the state I lived in for sure.

Elkchaser

elkchaserreturns,

I appreciate your feedback.

He has but is getting mixed answers. From what the proc states I wouldn't chance it. I am just glad I am not a felon. :)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-19 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]Utah Code
Title 76 Utah Criminal Code
Chapter 10 Offenses Against Public Health, Safety, Welfare, and Morals
Part 5 Weapons
Section 501 Definitions. (Effective 5/12/2015)

Effective 5/12/2015

(10)
(a) "Firearm" means a pistol, revolver, shotgun, short barreled shotgun, rifle or short barreled rifle, or a device that could be used as a dangerous weapon from which is expelled a projectile by action of an explosive.

The key words are:

"or a device that could be used as a dangerous weapon from which is expelled a projectile by action of an explosive."

So if the object in question, propels a projectile down a barrel with an explosive propellant it is a firearm.

I know someone that fought this sort of thing cause he was using an antique muzzleloader based a design prior to 1898, which the Feds don't recognize as a firearm. But, the Supreme Ct of State of Nv sent that boy to prison for 3 years. State law IS the law.

He can hunt archery no problem just about anywhere.

The state can be more restrictive but..,federally, the person can posses a muzzleloader. However, they can not possess any components of ammunition. If they use pistol bullets in a sabot, it's not legal. If they use a 209 shotgun primer, the. It's not legal.

They can posses full size conicals, black powder (black powder substitute), musket cap or cap.

That said, the state can make the possession illegal but under federal law (with the right version/components) they can legally possess a muzzleloader.

I would contact the state Attorneys office and get it in writing. Anything less is inviting trouble.

>I would contact the state Attorneys
>office and get it in
>writing. Anything less is
>inviting trouble.

I agree. I just can't believe it's not clarified in the 2019 Big Game Proclamation. I'm sure this is a very controversial topic amongst others. Like I said, it is in a old upland game proc I found online that says you can't hunt as a felon, even with archery equipment.

>>I would contact the state Attorneys
>>office and get it in
>>writing. Anything less is
>>inviting trouble.
>
>
>I agree. I just can't believe
>it's not clarified in the
>2019 Big Game Proclamation. I'm
>sure this is a very
>controversial topic amongst others. Like
>I said, it is in
>a old upland game proc
>I found online that says
>you can't hunt as a
>felon, even with archery equipment.
>

Its on Page 42

Are you allowed to possess a weapon? Utah Code ?? 76-10-503 and 76-10-512 It is illegal under Utah Code ?? 76-10-503 and 76-10-512 to possess or use a firearm, muzzleloader or any other dangerous weapon if you have been charged or convicted of certain offenses.

The purchase or possession of any hunting license, permit, tag or certificate of registration from the Division does not authorize the holder to legally possess or use a firearm, muzzleloader or any other dangerous weapon while hunting if they are otherwise restricted from possessing these weapons under Utah Code.

To determine whether you are allowed to possess a weapon, please review the Utah Code sections listed above or contact the law enforcement agency that oversees your case.

>>>I would contact the state Attorneys
>>>office and get it in
>>>writing. Anything less is
>>>inviting trouble.
>>
>>
>>I agree. I just can't believe
>>it's not clarified in the
>>2019 Big Game Proclamation. I'm
>>sure this is a very
>>controversial topic amongst others. Like
>>I said, it is in