Weight of Hindqtr?

You know I weighed mine last year, and I downed a decent size bull...one hind end was 68, the other like 66 and the fronts were in their mid 40's... all with the bone...

So the fact that I am training with my 72-pound backpack is a good thing? Wow....I thought I'd be huffing it with a hind-quarter in the pack.

Good to know!

Yea it's a good thing. My horse has been training with a 185lb. rider on him... lol... Last year he hauled both qtrs., back straps and cape at the same time but needed his buddy to haul the rest of it.

I killed a big bull in Idaho several years ago that went 90 pounds a quarter...I scrounged everything off the top of hip and back end of the spine. Broke bone at ball joint and knee.. hide off. Verified by butchers scale.

Not sure why you'd want to pack out an elk with the bones in it? Much easier without the bones, even when using a horse.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

>Not sure why you'd want to
>pack out an elk with
>the bones in it? Much
>easier without the bones, even
>when using a horse.
>
>Mntman
>
>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>
>
>
>Let me guess, you drive a
>1 ton with oak trees
>for smoke stacks, 12" lift
>kit and 40" tires to
>pull a single place lawn
>mower trailer?

+100
Meat will cool faster with the bone out as well.

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-13 AT 10:18PM (MST)[p]Boning out is a good way to get the meat cooled and loose unneeded weight. I've gotten an average of 225 lbs. of meat only off of a couple of average bulls and a large cow. A large bull will probably be closer to 250. That is just meat. You want to be prepared so you keep the meat clean. A small tarp in the pack is good. I put the meat into pillow cases to pack. Let it cool a bit before putting in a pack. You can get an elk out in three loads, boned, if in decent shape. At least four, bone in.

Thanks for the replies. That helps. I won't be carrying the hindquarters with the bone. I was just curious how much weight the old man is going to be hefting when (or if) he throws a quarter in a saddle bag.

There are a couple of reasons why someone might leave the bones in before packing out the meat. This doesn't mean these reasons trump other reasons -- lower weight, quicker cooling -- but they are reasons.

One reason is that it is quicker. What if you just don't want to take the time to debone the meat right at that moment. What if it is raining or a heavy snow storm is going on? Maybe your plan is to delegate that task to the meat processor?

Another reason is that theoretically the meat is less exposed to dirt and germs with the bone left in: all that surface area of the meat from the surface inwards is NOT exposed to drying, to buts, to bacteria, to dirt which is potentially exposed when you cut it open.

You might want to have the bones to make meat stock. I make about 18 cups of good elk broth out of each of my elk that I butcher myself. Part of that can come from just the meat trimmings, but it helps to have some bones in that pot, too.

None of this disputes that it is lighter to pack them with the bones out.

Your best friend is those cheap blue tarps for keep it clean and letting it air cool before bagging them up.
I have carried out a few hinds that was right at 70 lbs and they wasn't off a huge bull, just a regular 6x6 6-7 years old.
That a reason to have horses and mules.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom