West Coast Tuna Question

2lumpy

Long Time Member
I curious about the possibilities of doing a Washington/Oregon chartered tuna fishing trip. Haven't the slightest idea where to go, who to contact or the best time of year other than someone told me August might be a good month.

Do any of you folks have any information you'd care to share?

Thanks
DC

I hunted last year in Wuyoming with Chubbytuna that is his screen name on MM he is a photographer in Cal. as evidence by his screen name he's big into tuna fishing. He does most of his tuna fishing off the coast of Cal. but I think he would be a good guy to talk with, he hasn't posted in a while so I'm not sure he'll see your post. I think I have his number somewhere.

4803tuna.jpg

We went out of Newport in August 2011. It was a 33 hour trip and we went out 54 miles.

DZ

Tuna are rocking out of Washington and Oregon ports right now. Ifish is a good website for that area and has a lot of knowledgale guys. Down here in Central Calif the tuna showed up about a week and a half ago. We were going to run this weekend but its looking like we are going to get shut down by the weather.

I fish tuna off the Oregon coast annually, we leave out of the Columbia river which is the border between OR/WA so you could depart from either state. Salmon fishing is great in late August and early September which coincides with the tuna. Distance off shore depends on water temp but anywhere from 20-40 miles out is typical. There are plenty of charters on the OR and WA side of the river who likely offer trips. The river and mouth will be busy with lots of boats targeting Coho and King salmon but the offshore tuna fishing is a BLAST if you can locate the fish. No tags/license required, no rod limits, no tuna limit and they fight like crazy. I'm by no means an expert but fortunate to have some family/friends who are into it and let me tag along on their boats.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

LBR

We get them out of Eureka, CA once in awhile. Right now they are here. The few charter boats we have are booked years in advance. I'm on a waiting list myself but doubt I'll get a call this year. The tuna are about 50 miles out right now.

Not sure what I'll do with 200 lbs of Albacore when I do go.

Eel

I've fished out of Bodega Bay on occasion. They should be getting closer towards the end of Aug. Last year we fished about 25 miles out of the harbor, so not all that far. Most party boats from Bodega will be doing tuna trips soon as the salmon fishing tapers off. Sourkraut

Eel, why don't you take him out on your ocean craft? The guys on NCKA would think your king when you to score some albies. PS you are a seal!

as Calif Mike said above, ifish.net is a great resource for fishing forums in the NW. Just wanted to mentions it's a ".net" site and not .com. Theres even a forum with guys who have open seats on their boat when they're heading out, never know you might get luck on an extra tuna seat between now and mid Sept when it's hot if you're flexible.

Now I'm in big trouble, those pictures and posts shifted me into another gear. In order to simplify the process, are there any charters that anyone can recommend. I'm not particular about which location I go out of, one's as good as another, if the tuna are in town.

How long into August and Sept. do these W. Coast tuna generally stay active?

And thank you all for the rapid and helpful reports. ChubbyT, I'll get you a PM asap!

DC

I fished with these guys in Washington a few years ago for sea bass. It was a hoot. Would love to do a tuna charter. They have canneries on the dock. A bait boy was telling me you can catch tuna to sell to the canneries and pay for your trip. I'll do it one of these days.

http://msmagoocharters.com/

2lumpy,

I have the good fortune to have a friend with a sea boat moored in Charleston, Or. We get out several times for both salmon and tuna every year. The water has been a bit tough this year as the right tuna temp. has been unpredictable in our area. Check Charters out of Charleston, Newport, Gold Beach. If the fish are in, the charters will get after them. Otherwise you may be fishing snapper and lings. You need good ocean and close waters to have a good tuna day.

Pm me if I can answer anymore questions. Good luck it's a blast.

We used Tradewinds and went out on Misty. We had the boat booked with friends so we controlled the atmosphere and how we brought the fish in. Sometimes it can be a bummer of a day if you get out with the wrong people. The trip we went on was the 33 hour trip. it leaves at 10:00 PM and you motor out through the night. When it gets light you are fishing. Fish till dark and then motor in through the night. They have bunks for everyone but the night we went out it was pretty rough and staying in the bunk was too much for me. Make sure you get the patch from your doc. Good luck and have fun. Awesome table fare too.

DZ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom