What Caliber?

FullCurlHunter

I am thinking about having a go at building a semi-custom rifle with the help of a local gunsmith. I want something for Black/Grizzly/Brown Bear, Elk, Moose as well as something for african plains game. Which would you guys build on a remington action...(obviously I have a longer rage caliber in mind).

338 RUM
375 RUM
338-378 Wby Mag
8.59 Titan (lazzeroni's 338)

Appreciate your thoughts!

375RUM

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

I have to agree with D13er due to the brown bear being thrown in the pot. Just make sure you can handle the recoil or you will regret throwing your money away on a caliber that you will not like shooting.
RELH

338 RUM, hits like a freakin train! Plus there Remington is leaving some preformance on the table that can be picked up by a good handloader.

My friend in working on a 416 Taylor built on a mauser action. I asked him what he was going to hunt with it? He said anything he wanted to. Flat shooting for a big-bore.

Phantom Hunter

It think I would go with either one of the RUM's. From a reloading stand point brass is cheap or can be made from 300RUM brass in a pinch. IMO I think I would go with the 375RUM that way when you're plainsgame hunt turns into a Buff/plains game hunt you'll be ready to go and not need to buy another rifle.

Appreciate all of your opinions! I am leaning towards the 338 or 375 RUM. It is interesting, I have heard a lot concerning how a good handloader can get a lot more out of the 338 RUM as far as velocity, long range performance and accuracy than what Remington claims. I was thinking of having a brake put on it, poossible weatherby's accubrake (if the barrel contour matches or possible a slim-line. In addition to the muzzlebrake I am thinking of putting a brown precision thumbhole stock to soak up som recoil as well. That is what I love abuot rifles, so many combinations and so many opinions! Thank you all and much respect!

I like the 338RUM, but if you are planning on Africa...I would go with the 375RUM.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom