What do you do for a living?????

FishlakeElkHunter

Very Active Member
I saw this thread on another site and I thought it would be interesting here. I have found that there are all kinds of people on this site and I have made some good friends.
I am just curious on what we all do to make a living to support this crazy hunting habit we all have??

You dont need exact details if you dont want, just general info if you are scared to let people know you actually make $300,000 a year or only $30,000 a year.

I own a CPA firm.

We finish 65% of our projects by April 15th, so it leaves a lot of time for hunting the rest of the year. Not much going on during the winter anyhow, so may as well be down at the "salt mine."

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Since I started this I better put what I do.

I am a Marketing Manager for a company out of Pennsylvania. I live in Utah and Manage 11 Western States and all of Western Canada. I travel a LOT and get to spend lots of time out exploring. I am pretty much in a different city every week. It is hard being away from the family but it is almost like a paid vacation.

I do lots of entertaining with my clients so I get to Golf, Fish and eat in Great resturants every week.

I love what I do and the places that I get to travel to.

I own a log home company. I mainly mill logs for builders and dealers. 95% of the time I can pick my hours and do about what I want. Makes it easy to get time off come hunting season.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-08 AT 04:01PM (MST)[p]i notice its only the guys with good jobs posting so ill bring the bar down a bit. im a glass and window technician for a locally owned business in montana- and it blows. lots of sitting around right now with no business, of course the only time of year id rather be working than playing. oh well im young, hopefully just a filler job.

I'm a teacher and coach for 9 months of the year and in the summer I've always had a little construction company. Construction days are over with only 1 useable hand after last summer. I like what I do because I can live in a rural area with few people and access to some pretty good private hunting ground not a whole lot of public land in Nebraska. Randy 11 my deffinition of a good job is if you like to go to it when you get up in the morning, most mornings I do. Hope you find one you like to go to every morning as well.

I'm a Journeyman Lineman for the power company here in cental Kali. I get to see lots of private property that makes me drule (sp). I mainly do mantainance on our high voltage transmission system.

i am a framer and have enjoyed it very much the last couple years, its amazing to see a house or commercial building to be built and the hard work it takes gives you a good feeling to know that you can do that. it is scary at times walking on tall walls that are only 3 1/2" wide and sheathing steep roofs when its raining or snowing or frost. also since i started framing i can pack out a deer or elk and be back at the fourwheeler and on my way back down by the time some of my buddies are only half way. it gets you in really good shape in my opinion. i tip my hat to any other framers out there.

At the risk of getting bashed, I will tell you what I did before I began my career. My career required lots of school, so I had many jobs to get me through school, worked in gas stations, convenience stores, dishwaher and during the summers I worked in South East Alaska. One year I was a choker setter for a loggin company, one year I work for a fish cold storage company and 5 years I commercially fished. All of these jobs paid my way through school. I am now a 20+ year attorney, who specializes in representing policyholders who have disputes with their insurance company.

i tip my hat
>to any other framers out
>there.

Been doing it for 10 years now. My old Boss and a few friends that do the same thing post on here too. We all prefer to hike in and pack out......

Medically retired Marine after 16 years.

Now I sometimes do Volunteer work for the Red Cross and sometimes temp agency work in the Medical field.

47929d4d03777fbf.jpg

47929d9704848b1c.jpg

I DO INSPECTIONS AS YOU ALL KNOW!!!

SOMETIMES SCHEDULING MANDATORY MONTHLY INSPECTIONS!!!

AND!!!

SOMETIMES THE FIRST VISIT IS MORE THAN GOOD FOR A LIFETIME!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

>I'm a Journeyman Lineman for the
>power company here in cental
>Kali. I get to see
>lots of private property that
>makes me drule (sp). I
>mainly do mantainance on our
>high voltage transmission system.

PG&E ?

Bessy
I didn't know you were a gynecologist :)
I'm a general contractor, ceramic tile contractor and a guide.

Operating Engineer, I'm a Gradesetter/Leadman for the Heavy division of a large general contractor here in central/bay area. Mostly a heavy dirt grading and paving Co.

DAMN IT Wes!!!

YOU WASN'T SUPPOSED TO SPELL IT OUT!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Wes,

Bess checks cornholes, not honey holes, I think they call it a proctologist.
He's identified several ass-holes right here on MM.

Been in Southern Nevada for 13 years. Own a Marble, Tile & Granite Company. Moved here from Stockton / Lodi Calf. area, best move I ever made, been very blessed here with the building boom.

Me & PRO & a few other mmer's work for a big - axx telecom company. We ain't never going to get rich but we get a paycheck every two weeks and that ain't all bad. Fun to hear what you all do for a living.

Now if we could all figure out how to make a living hunting & fishing like mossback - muleycrazy & some of these other guy's ... wohooo!

RUS

I'm a locomotive engineer. Can't think of doing anything else. I like my job alot. Pay is pretty good also.

Manage sporting goods store for half a sack of peanuts a month; disabled Viet Vet for the other half sack. I fish or hunt at least 3 days a week all year......usually on someone elses dime. I'm the poorest bastard on this site.....with as much freedom as any.

>>I'm a Journeyman Lineman for the
>>power company here in cental
>>Kali. I get to see
>>lots of private property that
>>makes me drule (sp). I
>>mainly do mantainance on our
>>high voltage transmission system.
>
>
>PG&E ?

Yeah Hardway...PG&E

Real-Estate Appraiser.

Realtor, in Utah, Been doing it for a while now, great hours and I get to help people accomplish their dreams. And of course, lots of freedom to get me out into the field. I'd love to give you a hand if you have any real estate needs...

Jeff Hansen
It's all about the good times...

I manage the Foundation Bean Seed Program for Colorado State University on the western Slope and am the site manager for the Western Colorado Research Center at Fruita. We are a row crop research farm.

Beanman

Ex Coal miner, and now Operations Manager for a trucking company in Southern Utah for 17 years. Also own a couple of my own trucks.. And with the price of fuel, it can make for a tough way to make a living..

Interesting post, Jason!!!
Neat to hear what everyone does to make a buck!

My first steady job was working in the woods for 5 years as a choker setter, landing man and cat skinner. All of it in old growth Redwood. The largest tree we fell was 14' dia. From there I sold real estate for 3 years. From there I worked in a plywood plant for 5 years. Then I was a licensed contractor doing cabinets and mill work. Currently working in a sawmill as a saw filer. Been doing that for 25 years.

Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Eel

Well for the last 18 years I was a maintenance technician for Motorola, and GE until they closed our site this last year. So I decided that I had enough of working for the other guy and I got my home inspection license and started my own company. So if anyone needs a home inspected here in the Phoenix area don't hesitate to give me a call.

Geophysical surveyor
Work for a small company that maps under ground water up to 5000 feet deep so far from the earths surface. We have mapped steam injection in oil fields, leaks through dams, and leaks in pollution ponds on large mine sites. This is all new technology that takes me all over the world.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Been retired for 6 years and 2 months and 18 days, not that I am counting. Just rubbing it in on Eelgrass, he is still working.
Was a Substation Maintenance Electrican for the same company that Outlawlineman works for now, good old Pacific Graft & Extorsion. LOL

Brian

I WAS A FULL TIME INTER-CITY FIREMAN FOR 30 YEARS, & DABBLED IN SEVERAL MONEY MARKET ACCOUNTS....RETIRED AT 49...4 YEARS AGO. I HUNT,FISH & TRAVEL....THATS ABOUT IT......YD.

Technical Trades Instructor for the past 7 years. Before that, Lived in Northern Utah (Cache Valley) and worked as a Mechanical Drafter Designer for several years.

I also own a drafting business that specializes in Piping, Mechanical, and Architectural drawing and design.

Really enjoy my work and feel blessed to do what I do. Quiting my last job was one of the hardest and best things I ever did.
Rarely, do I have a hard time getting up and going to work.

UP THERE ON POST # 21!!!

Beefy DON'T TELL ME YOU'VE NEVER INSPECTED A FEW YOURSELF!!!

EVEN THOUGH WE KNOW YOU'RE OBCESSED WITH THE UPPER HALF!!!

SO TELL US Beefy???

HOW MANY TIMES HAS MS. Beefy CAUGHT YOU DOING INSPECTIONS ON THE TOP HALF???

I'LL BET SHE'S WATCHING YOU AS MUCH AS SHE CAN & IT AIN'T ENOUGH!!!

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Retired from the Navy almost a year ago. I am now a semi-content civil servant.....at least the servant part is right.

Project Manager for a Architect here in Utah County. Was just moved into Project management, but have been one of there head drafters for about 4 years.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Thanks everyone for posting up!!!!

I think it is really neat to see what everyone does. There are so many ways to make a buck I find it very cool to see all the ways.

Keep posting.....there are a lot we haven't heard from yet....what is stopping you???

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-08 AT 02:42PM (MST)[p]Three guesses, first two don't count! ;-)

Fulltime outdoor writer/photographer since 1984. -TONY

I make radio commercials and do other voice-work production (on-hold messages....presentation narrations etc.) from home and maintain a website for someone in between throwing batting practice for my son and his friends, coaching whatever sport I can, running kids around, changing dipes, feeding people...you know....MOM duties.

Jenn
ICONATOR_dc703736ad8118fdb02250ee10.gif

Operating engineer for a crane rental company. Pretty good pay, usually have enough in the bank to buy whatever completely unnecessary toy I convince myself I need.

Here's a pic of the job we just finished up. 4 months at a concrete plant in Humboldt, Kansas building a new conveyor bed.
925DSCF0305.JPG

MACHINIST???

I HOPE YOU CAN ADD BETTER THAN YOU CAN SPELL???

I THOUGHT YOU WERE A "HE-WHORE" LOOKING FOR RED-HEADS!!!

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Worked as a Journeyman lineman for contractors-tramping around the USA, I have been working for the same utility Co for the last 8 years. Now at 32 I have been managing the company for all of three months, I'm proud to say that I have 30 of the best line man in the USA working for me! When I'm not at work there, I work on our farm and ranch-we raise several hundred irrigated acres of hay and run around 1200 head of mother cows on the ranch. I spend all of my spare time conducting hunts on the same land.

Son

I teach Spanish! Hoping to graduate with my Ph.D. this year and teach Latin American Literature full time at a university. I have been going to school since I was 4 years old and working and earning money the whole time since I was 11 (full time since I was 21). Here are a list of jobs that have "got me through"

-Lawnmower/landscaper (started at 11)
-Babysitter (11-16)
-Cello Teacher / Group Mentor (13-14)
-US Forest Service Trail Crew (15-19)
-Full Time Missionary (19-21 - though I paid my own way for that!)
-Substitute Teacher (21)
-Heat and Smoke Detector Salesman (21)
-Dishwasher (21-22)
-Telemarketer and Customer Service Associate, held positions including Licensed Insurance Agent, Team Leader, Sales Supervisor, Customer Service Supervisor; Special Projects/Office of the President Rep. Sold everything from LD and Local phone service, credit cards (both ends - business and consumer, Home equity loans, AD&D and Term Life Insurance; satellite service; and cell phone service(yep -Matrixx/Convergys! 21-29)
-Vertical and mini-blind sales and installation (21-22)
-Cook (23-24)
-Construction worker (23)
-Fire Extinguisher Service Tech (23-26)
-Language Lab Tutor (24-25)
-Supermarket Night Stocker (25)
-Spanish Instructor (Teaching Assistant / Assistant Instructor / Adjunct Instructor) (27-Present)
-Private Spanish Tutor and Freelance Translator (27-Present)
-UPS unloader/sorter/Pre-load Supervisor/pre-loader)(30-33)
-Telemarketer again! (30-31)
-Hunting/Camping/Fishing/Outdoors Wharehouse Store Hunting Department Sales Associate (34-35)

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I have been a Realtor for the past 4 years. I love it and would not want to do anything else. I make my own schedule and work with who I want to work with. At 34 I finally found a job that I will do for the rest of my life.

Other jobs... Baskin Robbins 16-17, Security guard 18-20, Costco Wholesale 20-26, Kies Construction (Father-in-laws) 26-29, Union Asphalt 29-33, New Images (My own concrete re-surfacing co.) 33-34.

Steve

Heavy equipment mechanic for the past 18 years. With FedEx for the last 12 of em'. Aircraft GSE out of Reno. Plus I have about 5 years of architecture schooling under my belt that I plan on completing some day.

Big
29.gif
Fly

>Hooker,
>
>Whew. I was wondering if your
>handle here was also your
>vocation as mine is. Glad
>you clarified. :7 -TONY

HAHA Yea I was thinking the same thing!!!!!

>Hooker,
>
>Whew. I was wondering if your
>handle here was also your
>vocation as mine is. Glad
>you clarified. -TONY

Yea, me too... and a He-Hooker at that!!!

I have a food distribution company in California. We not only have our own warehouse, but do logistics and transportation also. Would sure like to see $50 dollar oil again.

Shop manager of a graphic design company. We produce custom decals and graphics. Do work for companies such as Browning, PSE, SFW, Fort Knox, to name a few. Nothin like workin for peanuts, but I have all the days off I want, for the most part.

Blazingsaddle- Work for peanuts? I doubt it. A buddy of mine has a graphic design business and he does quite well. Instead of managing someone elses business, why don't you own your own?

Steve

Fellow Hunters, I am a 60 year old retired vocational agriculture teacher. Taught for 34 years in southern Illinois and have been retired for the past three and a half years. Love hunting Colorado with the muzzle loader.

I'm a mortgage broker based in good old Salt Lake City. I've been doing mortgages for 8 years now. I opened my own shop about 4.5 years ago.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-08 AT 03:49AM (MST)[p]Registered nurse for 14 years working ER, Trauma ICU and I have even flown on a medical helicopter crew a few years back. In the fall I am a full time outfitter/guide right along side my wife.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

HVAC Project Manager in Maryland But hope to be moving to Colorado this Spring. Anybody hiring ?

Have a fabrication business making equipment for the Oil & Gas industry. Thanks to those vets on here and to those who help keep our country safe and free.

I own my own business designing custom homes. It is pretty slow right now with the housing market like it is but it will turn around. I also work for a Civil Eng. Firm in Southern Utah.

Jeff

As RUS mentioned, I work for the phone company out in the west desert. I am working on a few projects that hopefully will get me out of this gig in the next 6 months. I am tired of "working for the man", I figure it is time I became the "man". Oh yeah, in my spare time I guide elk hunters to big stinkys.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Chinook helicopter mechanic/crew chief for the MTARNG. Before that I did the same thing on the active duty side of the house.
479651f9424c7dd2.jpg

ismith

45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

I'm a Realtor and own my own real estate company. I started my business 3 years ago and went full time just over a year ago. Previously I was in produce sale for 7 years on the grower/shipper side.

Scott G.

I own a Drywall company out of Reno but working all over CA and NV. Haveing 21 people on payroll can be hard to slip away from during hunting season but somehow I make it happen.

nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif

School teacher basketball coach Farmer 300 acres corn and beans along with 20 head of cattle I referee basketball football softball and baseball. In the summer I'm a crop insurance adjuster. My significant other thinks I'm lazy.
Driftersifter

Full time husband and parent of two burger eaters, and one dog.

Police patrol sergeant in Oregon.10 years to retire. Amen JB

work in a coal fired power plant.
partly responsible for global warming,8 below this morning at the plant.

I am self employed as an electrician as a day job but my heart belongs to ranching. I have a little bunch of cows and a farm. I spend a lot of days scouting and guiding around Utah. Live to hunt and hunt to live!

I've been a drywall contractor in Idaho for 14 years. I've had to branch out to Wyoming and Utah to stay busy. I am also a rep for a company out of Denver. My dream job is to be a government contractor controlling the out of control populations of wolves and tweekers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom