what do you give.

ELKMASTER101

Very Active Member
Gratuities, I have access to a peace of gods country that an elderly gent owns,
he lets me hunt it every year and asks nothing in return.
I spent a good hour yesterday chitchating with him on the phone.
i would like to give him something for letting me hunt his 1000 acres but what?
Don't think he needs money. or he might consider it an insalt.
he's pushing 85 years young.
any ideas?

MAKE SURE HE EATS RIGHT,TAKES HIS MEDICATION, GETS SOME EXERCISE, & DOESN'T DRINK OR SMOKE TOO MUCH, PROVIDE GOOD COMPANY/CONVERSATION, SLEEPS WELL, THEN FIGURE OUT WHAT CHORES NEED TO BE DONE. OH...WHEN YOU TAKE GAME ON HIS PROPERTY OFFER THE MEAT TO HIM FIRST, THEN LET HIM KNOW THAT YOU LOVE TO BBQ. YD.

If he has a wood burning stove--get him firewood and split it and stack it for him--tradewood always has worked for me!

Depends. Really.... DEPENDS? :)

I'd agree. physical work which he probably can't do any more. I know I cant do near what I use to even a few years ago

Some good ideas already given. What about doing something for the guy's children or grandchildren? If you were a pilot you might take the guy's grandkids out for an airplane ride. If you have a boat, you might take the grandkids out for a boat ride/fishing trip/sailing excursion. He has something you don't have which he offers freely to you. Offer something he/his don't have that you have and can offer freely to them -- manual labor, some access to an activity otherwise unavailable.

I've traded a lot of work for the opportunity to hunt on others land. Sometimes these old guys just need a good friend to talk to. I gave an old boy a horse one time. I knew he was too old to ride but it made him feel good just to go out and stand by the corral. It usually doesn't take much but we always want to give way more then they want to recieve.
Wes

Call him more often, maybe write him. He might just enjoy a visit some way or another. Even if he let me hunt only a few years, and then stopped my access, I would never forget his generosity. I have done that before because I truly appreciated and respected the old guy that let me. We are still friends and he lets me hunt his place every other year.

Magazines, books,and the wood idea is pretty nice.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-06 AT 05:58AM (MST)[p]he is a very delighful person to talk to,
his grampa started the first mill in the area back in the 1890S,
his dad ran it when he was a kid.
they wiped out this little log cabin , which can't be any bigger then 20x20 when dutch we 15 or so and he moved in there.
he ran their cattle opperation,
never maried, took in his crippled sister and tended to life as it came.
still runs cattle, has a little hay opperation going and still lives in his first home.
opperated a little dozing opperation also from what i figured out.
said a guy came around there a few year back and offered him millions for his spread,
he chuckeled and said,
sorry its not for sale.
figured he'll leave it to his nephues.
Ive helped him pull fence, tear out beaver dams,
repair hay shelters, and dig waterways.
usaly will take a day of from my hunting when i'm out there just see what need done.
which i not much, he's still on top of things.
for an old fart, the guy has still got his wits,
desire and drive.
Maybe a good old outside rocking chair might be the ticket.
He could sit in it, out there below the pines in the front yard and dream.
I don't know, it might not fit him, he does't sit much.
Have to think about this one.Going out there in 3 weeks.

rt

SOME STEAKS WOULD PROBABLY BE SWEET IF YA KILL. SHARLIN"THE MEANING OF LIFE IS TO LIVE IT!"

you go girl, giving my meat away,
if i lay one down I'd like to eat it my self.
what do you mean IF I KILL?
girlfriend you got to get a life.
You just one hornytoad.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-06 AT 08:05PM (MST)[p]WHAT THE HECK DO YA MEAN BY HORNY TOAD? YOU WOULD BE SURPRIZED.I AM ASHAMED! BELIVE IT OR NOT I AM VERY WELL RESPECTED MY COMUNITY BY ALOT OF HUNTERS.IM DEFINITLY FAR FROM A TOAD. I DO HAVE A WONDERFUL LIFE AND WORK PRETTY HARD FOR MY AGE. AND GET TO PLAY PRETTY HARD TOO."THE MEANING OF LIFE IS TO LIVE IT!" SHARLIN

COOL IT ELKMASTER101!!!

THERES DAMN SURE ENOUGH MEAT ON A BULL YOU COULD GIVE A STEAK OR TWO!!!

I AIN'T NEVER SEEN ANYBODY THAT STINGY WITH THEIR STINKY BULL MEAT!!!

YA MIGHT TRY HAVING A LITTLE RESPECT ALSO!!!

THE ONLY bobcat HOPEING SEASON GETS HERE SOON FOR SOME OF YA!!!

'girlbow'....i'm in your corner....someone owes you an apology. that was uncalled for..

THANKS BOBCAT AND LITTLEFOOT. HE DOES SEEM A LITTLE ANGRY ON ALL HIS POSTS TONITE."THE MEANING OF LIFE IS TO LIVE IT!"

Yes, I am ashamed of my self.
girlbowhunter, I do apologize with true sincerity,
I may make remarks on this forum that are truly rrediculas or uncalled for, its just me i stupid and unsencitive.
I do live my life to my fullest, be it not always in the right path.
my deepest apology for all i have said over the years that may have hurt feelings.
forever hunting elkmaster101 Jim.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-06 AT 06:00AM (MST)[p]I ACCEPT YOU APOLOGY, HAVE GREAT DAY!BE HAPPY HUNTING SEASON IS APON US.GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT. SHARLIN "THE MEANING OF LIFE IS TO LIVE IT!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom