What does everone use?

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
After posting a question in the optics forum it has got me wondering what optics everyone hunts with? Does everyone own a pair of Swarovski or Leica? Is it possible to be a succesful hunter with anything less?

For me I have been using a pair of Pentax DCF SP for the last few years. I was basically ridiculed by one of the optics guru's on here.

I suppose I could by a pair of Swaro's. Right now I just can't justify spending that much on optics. I can't imagine ever losing a pair or having them stolen.

It's got me wondering if some don't use it more as a status symbol though. You know, like driving a Hummer and never taking it off road. It's been a little slow so around here so I'm just doing my part to livin it up around here.:)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-09 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]i'm hunting Leupold Wind River Pinnacle's. They're not bad glass at all. This will be my 4th season on them and just can't see dropping the serious coin needed to upgrade not all that much. If $$ were not the issue it is, i'd have the best. For these days and this coming season, i'll keep using what's paid for.

Joey

No Swarovski or Leica here!.......Zeiss for me.:)

I had Pentax, but never killed a deer until I got my Zeiss.:)

Pentax is fine for 90% of everything you'll want to do,IMO If you spend a lot of time behind the glass the highest quality you can afford is worth it. It cuts down on eye strain. In low light conditions, there is no substitute for quality glass.

Sometimes the Zeiss allows me to see that 1" fork that I might not have seen with a lesser glass. A big deal if you're in a forked horn only unit.:)

Eel

I bought the 10X Pentax DCF WP in 1998. I sent them to the factory last year and they returned them in almost brand new condition. They were a little out of alignment and an outside ring(?) was replaced free of charge. I will buy another pair when I have to. They are great quality and the only difference between them and the higher end glasses might only be noticable in low light. I spent $450 11 years ago instead of a grand. I'd buy higher end glasses if I could afford it though but very happy with Pentax.

I use Swaro's, but only because they were bought for me. I had some Pentax and they were the worst I've ever used. I have a pair of Vortex Vipers and find myself grabbing for those as much as the Swaro's.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

Used to be a swaro guy but only Vortex for me now and I use my optics A LOT!!! I know there are guys on here that swear by the real expensive optics and I used to be one of them. But I now know that you can have comfortable, high quality optics without having to sell all your hunting equipment to buy them. I highly recommend that you look closely at Vortex before you buy anything.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-09 AT 10:52PM (MST)[p]I'm of the opinion- buy the best you can afford.
Burris,Tasco is better than no glass at all.
When my Brunton's gave up the ghost I was able to buy Swaro's and I don't know if I would want any other for every day carry.
They are 8 power and are so clear they seem like 10 power.
My spotter is an adjustable 15-40 power Leopold compact,
and I keep 12 power Nikon bino's in the truck.

Tom
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

I have noticed lately that people, say they use their optics "a lot". I am just curious as to what people think is a lot of time. How much time do you spend behind glass before it's considered "a lot" of time?? LMAO...sorry AWLB, I read it and just flat out had to lol but I'm just kiddin buddy...don't shoot!!

I'm using Monarchs currently but am seriously thinking about ordering the Zen ED 8x43...

~Z~

I'm hooked on the Leica Geovids. I've owned in order from first to last: Leopold's (nice at first, but went out of alignment, sent in 3 times and they never get them right. Gave up sending them back and gave them to my kids to play with in the toy box)

Nikon's Nice at first, but lasted 2 years. Paid $265 gave to kids.

Pentax Ok, but turns out to be the worst piece of crap I've owned to date. Paid $280 threw in the trash.

Swarovski 10x50 Very clear and nice, but too heavy for my taste at the time. Bought for $1,000 sold for $1,100 two years later.

2 Leica 10x42's Love these, and keep one as a spare for my kids or anyone else I hunt with if they want to use them. I bought these for $900 and sold one pair after 3 years for $1,100

Leica Geovid 10x42 Best of the best in my opinion. The glass is super good and the rangefinder is superior to the others I've used. I own the leica 800 rangefinder and the nikon 800 and they are not in the same class as the geovid rangefinder. I find that I use the rangefinder constantly while glassing. It's especially helpful in Mexico to keep track of deer in the thick stuff. You glass up a buck the he's gone and you can't find him again. I just hit the rangefinder and then I know exactly at what yardage to look for him if I lose him. Bought these the first year they came out for $1,500 think I've had them for 5 or 6 years, and I'm pretty sure I could sell them for that pretty quick.

My wife has the Brunton 11x45's or whatever they are. They're good, but not in the same class as the more expensive stuff.
Paid $490

I killed big bucks back in the day with cheap binos and still do today, but I wouldn't want to go back to less quality and a separate rangefinder unless I was forced to. I'm not a rich guy either. I hunt a lot and guide a lot, and own a taxidermy shop. I just feel like I'd rather spend my money on nice glass and skip the aluminum wheels and lift on my truck, or whatever else I don't need.

Whatever floats your boat though. You can kill the exact same buck using any bino. The better stuff just makes it more pleasant and helps you to be more efficient.

DBD

I primarily use two pair of binoculars. One pair are Zeiss 8x32s, the green rubber armored ones with individual eye focus. I bought them back in 1980, and paid a lot of money for them back then, $400.00. I've used them for 29 years, and still find them to be very good binoculars. My 2nd pair are Swarovski 15x56s, which I absolutely love. I bought them in the summer of 2000, which is when they were first imported into the USA. Yes, I bought them a lot cheaper than you can get them now. My other pair are some old Zeiss 15x60s that I bought for my son. I'm guessing they are at least 30 years old, and I got them used for $500. My points are several. First, if you take good care of them, it doesn't really matter what you get, as they'll be a good value over a long period of time. Second, if you look around, you can find a used pair at very reasonable prices.

We just returned from South Africa, and we also took some Nikon 10x42s, and I liked those every bit as much as my Zeiss or Swarovski binoculars. I thought the Nikons were outstanding, and they're a lot less expensive than either of those other brands. With all that said, my next binocular purchase will almost certainly be Leica Geovids in either 8x or 10x. After all, I'll likely have them as long as I live and then pass them down to my son.

Leopold 10X50s around the neck, 27 ozs.

Swaro 15X56 on an Outdoorsman tripod with pistol grip.

Vortex 20X60X80 spotter.

Leopolds are great for what I do with them. The Swaros are all that and I don't believe I use them as effectively as I could. I'm still learning. The spotter is toooooo big. Wish I'd bought the 65mm instead of the 80mm.

Overall, the price of quality optics is pretty high. I justified it with how important they are in relation to the price of the hunt. With basically a OIL tag this year, in a unit that is very optic friendly, I'm glad I bit the bullet 2 years ago.

As for loosing/having them stolen. The most expensive thing in my gun safe is the Swaros. My most expensive gun/plus scope doesn't even come close. And I'd never hesitate to buy a gun because I might lose it or have it stolen.

Leica binos

Swaro spotter

Many other brands that are comparable for less money, but what I ended up with.

Good glass does not just come from Europe anymore. Japan has stepped up.

Too bad we cannot make anything here that is worth a hoot. Would be great the best country making glass that we all use.

As far as time behind glass. HMMMMM, I used to be one that would see a good glassing point step up and look for 30 minutes and not see anything - decide nothing in here move on.

I have gained knowledge from those days. Good area, with vantage point, I can spend 4 hours picking apart underbrush now and find animals.

Part of it was the glass before and part of it was me.

Good glassing fellow MMers

Binos, swaro 10x42 els
Rifle scope, Leupold
Spotting scope, Vortex Nomad and Skyline.

I used to be leupold bino guy, but you
could not pry my Swaros out of my hands
ever!!!!!

I have a pair of Leupold Pinnacles 10x42 that I have used for the past 4-5 years that I am happy with. I have often thought about going with the more expensive glass but I can't find anything wrong with these so for now I will continue to use them. I also like Leupolds customer service should you have a problem with bino's or scopes, they fix or replace without any hassels.

I use Swaro 10x42's. They're awesome.

If I were buying today, I would seriously consider the Nikon Monarch X.

Grizzly

I'm so fat I need swarovski's all the way around because us fat bastages need to sit where the ice chest is and its in back of the truck! lol...you just have to look around and find what works best and fits your style of hunting..
to me my swarovskis changed hunting for me for the better ...
I can glass all day for miles....no strain at all!

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Swaro 10x42 SLC- Received for my 50th birthday-Incredible glass.

Vortex Diamondbacks 10x42-Pretty decent glass for the price. Back up and spare for kids.

Swaro 80 ATS HD- More Incredible glass, great from the valley floor. I am often amazed with the spots I have made and the detail of the animal at distance. After receiving my SLCs saved for two years to replace my Nikon spotter that fell off my Wrangler roof, ouch! Sometimes I wish I had bought the 65 due to the weight of the 80.

Brunton Eterna 50ED- Really good but limited to 38 power. After trying to pack the Swaro cannon in the McKenzie Mountains on caribou backpack hunt decided to go small/lighter for the tough hunts.

I am over it as far as glass goes. I started with Tascos, the cheap Bushnells, Pentax and Steiners. I think the Vortex glass is very good and the Nikon Monarchs are good as well.

Ed
4a40ff835ce2da6b.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

Swaro 10x42 ELs and Zeiss 65mm spotter (both were smoking deals - paid only about $2000 for both) and I plan on using both until I drop.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-09 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]>After posting a question in the
>optics forum it has got
>me wondering what optics everyone
>hunts with? Does everyone own
>a pair of Swarovski or
>Leica? Is it possible to
>be a succesful hunter with
>anything less?
>
>For me I have been using
>a pair of Pentax DCF
>SP for the last few
>years. I was basically ridiculed
>by one of the optics
>guru's on here.
>
>I suppose I could by a
>pair of Swaro's. Right now
>I just can't justify spending
>that much on optics. I
>can't imagine ever losing a
>pair or having them stolen.
>
>
>It's got me wondering if some
>don't use it more as
>a status symbol though. You
>know, like driving a Hummer
>and never taking it off
>road. It's been a little
>slow so around here so
>I'm just doing my part
>to livin it up around
>here.:)

If you think you were being ridiculed in that thread, you've got serious comprehension issues and extremely thin skin.

Tried about everything, currently use swar 10x50 and swar 8x50 for scopes swar 60hd swar 80hd and a leupold gold ring

Fellas;
I was fortunate to help F.Green at the SCI show for a few years selling binos. I will have to say every one felt and saw thru the binos a different way. It was pretty much personal choice that made them decide between different mfgrs.

I can say I did buy my first zeiss 10x40 classics a long time ago and spent 2 years of working overtime to afford them. I did the same thing with the then top of the line 15x60 zeiss binos.
I can tell you that a whole world opened up to me when I started using 15 power binos.

I can remember talking to a fella who said I must be made of money to afford these binos, I asked him what his big tires and rims cost. That was the end of the discission.

Over many years of glassing , I now have some big eyes
Doctor 20x80s and they are great but very heavy. Those I use near the truck or no more than a mile up an easy glassing hill.

I think, and I think most will agree, that a good solid tri-pod and a comfortable pad to sit on makes all the difference when it comes to long periods of careful glassing.

Just my opinion

Steve Cheuvront

I have wasted my fair share of money on crap optics. Most have either broke or got tossed in the trash. I broke down and bought the Leica Televid 77 spotting scope and it has been the best hunting investment I have made to date. I am saving my money and going without all of the stuff I want but dont need so I can get the 10x42 Leica Geovids with the built in range finder.

I started off early in my hunting career buying only the cheapest of optics and have evolved to the point of Swaro 10x50 binos, swaro 20-60x80 spotter, Leica Range finder, zeiss 10x40 classics for backup, and mainly Zeiss scopes ------Almost all purchased second hand in mint condition for a fraction of the price. Having the best optics available is a giant advantage on long hunts. Just be patient in buying them.

T264

I too have gone through the cheapos when I was young. I agree with previous post about whole new world with 15X on tripod. That is why I now use Leica Duovid 10+15. 10X for quick glassing while on the move. 15X on tripod for serios glassing. 20-60 Swarovski spotting scope. I have had oportunity to use big eyes several times and for many hunts they increase your odds of finding that monster many times. The best IMO are the Doctor 20-50X because you can eliminate the spotting scope and once you focus on something you just dial up the power and have immediate detail. Too big and heavy for many hunts though.

Good eyewear does make a huge difference... And there is no doubt that Swaro's and Leica make em as good as they come, but I don't think that means you wont be successful if you don't have them... I started out with a pair of $35 Perma Focus Bushnells that did me fine in my younger, much poorer days! Now that I have a year or two (or 5 or 6 who really counts) under my belt I have upgraded to a pair of Leupold Windrivers and love em... I seem to be able to find critters and see them just fine with them bad boys, and only spent 1/3 as much as I would have on some Swaro's... Maybe a few years from now I will be able to afford some fancy eyewear, but 'til then I will git-r-dun with what I got.

Does having expensive optics make you a more successful hunter? No... it can definitely help your chances of finding your animal, but the hard part is on you. I would recommend swaros to anyone, but i hear the vortex is not a bad option if money is a big issue...

Nikon Monarch ATB Mossy Oak 12x56 Bino's

Destiny

I'm not very good at quilting or sewing but I can make a nice Grenade Launcher

Cabelas euro 12x50's eoropean components at a reasonable price. Used a friends swaro 15x56 a few years ago and loved them..just cant afford the 2k price.Gettin ready to bite the bullet on vortec razor hd spotter

Ive heard go things about Cabelas euro 12x50's glass. Minox offers great glass for the money HG series. It all depends on what your budget is.

quest

Swaro 10x50 SLC binos, leupold VXIII on the rifles. I also have a pair of Leica 10x50s but I cannot be pried from the SLC's. My wife uses the Leicas now.
I use them everyday or close to it. Not hours behind them every day but I do get to glass elk, deer or Antelope nearly every day while out on my rounds.
I love them however if I didnt have the money to spend on them when I did, i would be buying the Vortex razors or vipers without a second thought.

I use Zeiss binoculars...8X32 cold war binos. Gave $300 bucks for them new...they're lighter than Swarovskis and just as clear. I use a Meopta Artemis 2100 4-12X50 scope w/ a lighted reticle dot on my rifle....best scope I've ever used bar none.

I bought the Cabela's Alaskan Guide binos when the 1st came out about 10 years ago for $450.00 (I think they're around %550.00 now) and have been extremely happy with them.
They were a major step up from the leupolds I had previously and I've compared them with friends Zeiss and Swaros and can't see enough of a difference to spend the extra cash.

I have been using a pair of 10x42 trinovids for 10 years and still love 'em. I also have a pair of Pentax 10x43 SP's that I let my nephew use and they are very good. I like my Leica's better, but wouldn't be afraid to use those SP's either.

I currently use the Minox 12X52's but I am planning on upgrading to probably the Vortex Kaibab's before hunting season.

Leica 10X50's........yeah there big and kinda heavy,..but i like'm alot.HOURS of glass'n with no fatigue...
mike

A couple guys mentioned buying their Swaro's used, can you guys tell me where you found them (e.g. Craigslist / Ebay)? or is there a optics specific resale website or something? Just curious.

Also, I found the following through an online site, is this a good deal?

Swarovski Spotting Scope, Habicht ST 80 HD with 20X-60X eyepiece, complete with heavy duty Swarovski carry case and strap. $1100

Pictures show the equipment is in really good condition, all parts & pieces, covers, etc. included.

Thanks
LBR

Check the classifeds here. Also, the ST/AT are older verison of the Swaro spotters. STS/ATS are the newest versions.

Thanks for the info Foreman, I didn't know about the ST/AT being the older model and competely forgot about the classified ads on MM (although not many listings).

The guys on here probably know how much their Swaro's are worth used, I'm hoping to find a dumb bird watcher who's dumping a nice set for a smokin' price....I'll keep lookin.

LBR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom