what to look for in the high country?

F

fowlguy

I have been spedning some time reading topos to try and find the next honey hole. I am going to hit some of the high country scouting in the next few weeks, anyone have an idea of what I should look for? I am thinking water/spring, food source, grazing area, trails/escape routes...anything else?

I am so much an amateur at this that I should keep my mouth shut but I've spent a little time trying and (mostly areas right at timberline) and here's what I've figured out.
1) If you can find a place a couple of miles from the road your chances improve.
2) You will be amazed how high you will find mature bucks. Keep looking up sometimes even in mtn goat country.
3) If there are things like rock slides and blowdowns that can keep pack stock out you will find more mature deer.
4) There is lots of water in most timberline drainages so it doesn't do a lot of good to look for it.
5) Some areas just don't hold deer for whatever reason.
6) Some times you don't have to go in as far as you'd think. Lots of folks push right through good deer country to get into those "really remote places".
7) Topos are great but nothing beats being there and seeing it first hand. Topo's don't show bare rock vs feed sources so well.
Good luck! Its definitely a worthwhile pursuit.
ds

Here is a great idea. Just ask the BigHungDog where to look and I will tell you. I've got this magical crystal ball that I rub with some "special" lotion (don't ask where I get the lotion) and *poof* the ball tells me where the big bucks are and what they will score. Don't believe me? Just check out some of my other posts. I figure there is at least one guide out there who owes me half of his fee.

BigHungDog

Freedom isn't free. This is the land of the free, because of the brave. Support our troops. It is only because of them that we can enjoy our way of life.

Hey BHD, I have an idea for you!!!

BHD's deer psychic hotline.

1-900-Big-Buck

50 cents the first minute, $1/min thereafter.

You've "proven" you're worthy, now it's time to ca$h in.

MM

P.S. - I hope I get a cut of the pie for my idea.

MM,

I put up a post earlier today that was sort of along those lines. I guess someone didn't like the general gist of my ideas and pulled the post off of MM. I can't say I blame them. My guide service would cause some people to get seriously irritated.

BHD

Freedom isn't free. This is the land of the free, because of the brave. Support our troops. It is only because of them that we can enjoy our way of life.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom