What would you have done??

J

jsturgio

So this is my first post although I have been frequenting this site for a year or so.

So, I was up Elk hunting on a General Any Bull tag in the Ashley National Forest in Northeastern Utah. And, like every year there were hunters everywhere. To make a long story short I had a respectable 4x4 about 50 or 60 yards from me with the wind in my face. He disappeared behind some trees but was heading in my direction. As I was sitting there waiting for him to come out of the trees I heard a sound to the left of me. I looked over and it was another hunter walking down the hill. I held my hand up as to say stop so that he wouldn't spook my elk. He stopped and I set up and looked through my scope waiting for a shot. I saw the elk's head come through the trees and heard a boooom! I looked over at the other hunter who was standing there with his rifle still pointing in the elk's direction. Then I looked back to see the elk hauling butt over the top of the hill. Not only did he shoot at the elk that I believe should have been mine but he missed from no further than 60 yards. I just stood there in awe not knowing what to say.

So my question is, if you were to come up on another hunter who was set up on a bull just waiting for a shot would you at least wait for him to take the first shot or would you try to shoot at it first? Am I wrong in thinking that I had "rights" to this bull?

I think you have a right to be pissed. That is a pretty low class thing to do. Did you talk to this guy afterwards? I am sure this could have been an interesting converstion! Are you sure that saw you? It always sucks when stuff like this happens. Hopefully you will get another opportunity. Good luck!

Sure you let the guy who is set up for the shot take it. Hope there was a good follow up to confirm that he had a clean miss.

you have every right to be upset. especially if he saw you motioning him to stop. some guys are hunters, some guys are shooters... tough call

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-11 AT 04:04PM (MST)[p]I'm starting to think that these types of stories are posted on MM so that NRs will not want to hunt in Utah.

How would you feel if he was your hunting companion and you had to pack half of it out of the bottom on the Sky Line Drive for him. Course, he did gave me a roast.

Life goes on, letting it eat at you only makes your stomach ache, I can assure you, the other guys hasn't given it a second thought.

We all get to see what looks back at us from the mirror every morning.

Go find a better one and have fun doing it.

DC

The joys of hunting public land. I don't agree with what happened but at the same time it is public land and about anything goes on public land.

poop or get off the pot. looks like he had a closer shot then you did. He was also quicker on the trigger.
public land hunting with tards can be tough and only the strong survive.

This is why I choose to not hunt most of the time with the orange army. I just get mad at the stupid things they do.

Is it possible that he had been chasing this elk all morning and was about ready to close the deal when he ran into you?
As I get older I seem to get less upset by the injustices of life.
What would I have done?
If it really bothered me I would have went over and talked to him and got his side of the incident.
More than likely I would have walked away and told myself, "I am sure glad I don't have to haul that stinking elk out of this hole"

Welcome to Utah.......if you would have shot first, then you would have had a foot race with the guy to tag it first.

2lumpy wrote:
"How would you feel if he was your hunting companion and you had to pack half of it out of the bottom on the Sky Line Drive for him. Course, he did gave me a roast.
Life goes on, letting it eat at you only makes your stomach ache, I can assure you, the other guys hasn't given it a second thought.
We all get to see what looks back at us from the mirror every morning. Go find a better one and have fun doing it."

Lumpy, I have never hunted the Skyline Drive with you, so I guess you weren't talking about me. How come you outran me on the Pauns after that big buck. Was that really fair? I'm older than you.

"He did gave me a roast" - MAN check your spelling will you!!

How come I out ran you, you ask!

In 36 years of hunting with you, fishing with you, playing pick up sticks with you, I've never seen you run, so out running you has never happened because that presumes that you run, which you don't and either can't or won't because we both know you'd fall flat on your hugely mug! Therefore, anything more than a slow crawl, next to you, would look like an Olympic sprinter. Besides, I out weigh you by 70 pounds and that more than compensates for your sorry age deferential.

And back off my deslexic thinking, typing, reading editing skills. Uou know what I meane and that's all I kare about. At least I call hold my lunch when I'm gutting buck.

DC

Call me.

Jackwagon, You should of Clock him along side the head.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Tough call my friend... Getting his side would help my opinion as there are a great many scenarios that may have played out... I think I'd be more pissed if he had connected on the bull.

I have had 2 similar experiences with 2 different results. The first was on a rifle elk hunt in about 1995. My dad and I had spotted a large herd of elk on a ridge about 1000 yards away while spotting from an old logging road. The herd bull was a big ol boy so we decided he was worth trudging through the snow to go after. Heading up the mountain we were going to crest out over a ridge that would cut the distance in half. Before we got to the ridgetop, we hear shooting coming from below us, from the logging road. We pulled out the binos and looked, and sure enough, these yahoos were hanging all over their truck, firin shots off practically over our heads towards the elk herd. We were right out in the open, in orange, no chance they couldn't see us heading up the mountainside.

The other incident was while bow hunting my first year. I had spotted a buck and was putting a stalk on it. When I had gotten to about 60 yards and was just taking my time, 2 other archers came along, very close, and saw the buck I was stalking. They began to put a stalk on him, but then one of them saw me. He tapped his friend on the shoulder, and they backed out very quietly, letting me have a crack at the buck, though looking back, they had better wind than me and could have snuck closer. Anyway, the buck got away.

So, this is really a matter of hunting on public land, and not being able to control what type of people may come along. it was an unfortunate event, and I hope you never experience it again.

I can't believe you saw a bull in a general area, with a tag in your pocket... LOL :D :D

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

If that were me coming down the hill and another hunter motioned to me like that and pointed out the animal I would have sat down and watched. Common courtesy is the answer.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

If this is the only problem you've had hunting then you are lucky. I could write a book on people losing their minds during hunting season.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom