What's on your feet?

JadgBob

I am just getting back into bow hunting after being out for about 25 years. I am looking at boots. I have a pair of Cabelas/Meindl "Perfect Hunters". They give great support, are comfortable and give great traction but I am worried they won't be quiet enough for getting in close.
I realize most bow hunters may be out hunting but I would like to hear some feedback from some of you on what you wear and how you get in close for the shot.
Thanks for your help!
----Bob

Wes,

How's the traction on a hillside and in loose dirt? I have looked at them in Sportsman's and thought they looked good.

--Bob

they are great, quite soft and a gum sole, grip like fingers. i am really impressed with them.
wes

Those Meindl's are great boots. I liked the feel of the Perfekt Hunters but 2 pairs I had squeaked so bad I had to return them. I now own the Denali's and love them. Don't worry about them being quiet enough to get in close. Just take them off once you get within 100 yards or so. Slip on an extra pair of thick sock and you will be cat like.

Thanks for the reply Big. When I first started wearing mine they were squeeking pretty good. I put leather conditioner on them this weekend and I will wear them this week to see if they quiet down. The next move, according to the Cabela's people, is to put baby powder in the cresses of the tounge of the boot. Not sure if that is a good move or not. You know how other hunters look at you if you smell like baby powder.:)
---Bob

I wore those Perfect Hunters for an entire season thinking they would eventually wear in and stop squeaking. They didn't so I sent them back (very worn I might add) and Cabelas gave me all my money back. I bought the Denali's and love them. Just as comfortable and quiet.

I wear some Vasque day hikers for archery and carry a pair of Baers Feet with the felt soles to slip over them when I get in close.

I wear a pair of Nicks leather boots then when I want to get close I slip on my Bear Paws or take my boots off. I also own the Mendels Perfekt Hunter and i love them but they are to hot for me to wear unless it is bad weather. But no matter what I always put on my Paws or take off my boots.

Good luck & shoot straight.

Slide

Cabela's Mountain hunter is the most comfortable and durable boot I have used and I've tried most of them. It's a good blend of durability, support and comfort. I would agree with the earlier comment of taking off your boots in the terminal zone. Most of your time is going to be hiking, you want to have a boot that performs. I guess I should clarify, I'm speaking from a person that hunts some pretty tough backcountry.

Coon

I wear Danner Pronghorns most of archery season and have a pair of 6" Hi Tech hikers as backup.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-07 AT 05:33PM (MST)[p]I agree and think the Meindl "Perfect Hunter" are great boots. I have a pair myself and used them on a bighorn sheep hunt up in Wyoming back in 2004 and they held up great. The guide I went with swares by them. But, I uses those boots more for cold weather conditions. For most of my hiking and archery seasons I have a german brand boot Lowa Renegade II GTX. They are light wieght and really comfortable. I am to the point that I sware by them too. Acctually they are and older model boot so they are on clearence now for around $100 and usely $170 at www.lowaboots.com .

I have a pair of Danelies and like them but the Meindls I had before them were the Ibex and I like them alot better. They are the best, most comfortable, rough terrain elk hunting boots for warm weather I have ever owned and plan on buying another pair this week.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-07 AT 12:51PM (MST)[p]Here's a smokin' deal for anybody looking for incredible boots. I bought the Danner Hawk. $279 at Cabelas. Made in the USA. Incredible boot. Quiet sole. The most impressive, most comfortable boot I have owned. Awesome bob sole traction. No breaking in needed. I wore these these for a total of ten days in te field. However, they do not have the ankle support I need. If you like the USA-style of soft uppers, you will love these boots. But, I've torn up both ankles real bad from rock climbing. I'm going back to a stiffer Denali-type boot.

These are like new. Size 10. $200. Send me an email if you need them.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=danner+hawk&noImage=0

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom