When is a poacher a poacher?

YELUM

Long Time Member
All this talk on the Hyde Park buck has me curious as to how some of you feel about poaching. There have been multiple poaching cases in this state this year. When is a person considered a poacher?

Is an adult who lets his kid/grandkid/etc shoot an animal the child does not have a tag for, a poacher, or just guilty of breaking the law?

Is someone who kills an animal without a liciense or out of season, a poacher before or after he is convicted?

Is someone who does not pull the trigger, but helps someone poach an aimal also a poacher, or is he/she just doing something stupid?

If I shoot a buck/bull/cow/doe/wolf/cougar with out a tag, but don't get caught, am I a poacher?

Can a just person rationalize any of these acts to where public perception deems them ok?

Love to hear what you think.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

Well YELUM!

If they needed the Meat....................!

The Sad part is:

Nearly every Big Buck in the State have Died/been Poached again this year!

It's beyond a F'N Joke and until the DWR Mans up with Stiff Penalties/Jail time We Are Screwed!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Interesting question Yelum,
MY definition would be anyone taking a game animal illegally--any way, any time.
And Bess, the DWR can't man up any more than the JUDGE they take the poacher to! It's not their fault guys get their pinkies slapped, its our milk toast Justice System!

Would it make you feel better if we called Poachers Lawbreakers? If you break the law , you break the law!

Thanks

Brownie

I agree with that Too littleBig!

But don't you think the Initial SLAP should be a lot harder?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Perty Sad when & If you take a Decent Buck you've about gotta call the DWR to verify a Legal Take/Harvest!

The other Option is an MM Trial!

If I ever(And it may never Happen!) take a Decent Buck or Bull Worthy of the Wall I'm not calling the DWR to come & Inspect the Kill Site!

So you know what that means!

I'll be tried on MM!

I've said it for years and I'll say it again:

Even if you could bring Big Bucks back in TARDville,they'd all get Poached!

Sad but True!

Poaching is poaching. Taking an animal illegally is poaching.

It is poaching even if you need the meat. He'll that argument makes my blood boil as it is complete bs... You do not have enough money for food but you can afford gas a truck, a gun and other crap. In today's world there is no excuse for poaching....

My pellet gun took out a lot of robins as a kid.... I'm a bad lawbreaking poacher

>Poaching is poaching. Taking an animal
>illegally is poaching.
>
>It is poaching even if you
>need the meat. He'll that
>argument makes my blood boil
>as it is complete bs...
>You do not have enough
>money for food but you
>can afford gas a truck,
>a gun and other crap.
>In today's world there is
>no excuse for poaching....

Easy Elks!

The only reason I Posted that: "But I needed the Meat' Comment is that it was Pioneered here in the Basin!

What if I'm trying to poach an animal and I shoot it a little too far back. I follow the blood for miles but never recover the animal. Am I still a poacher?

Traditional >>>------->

It's all wrong. I choose to look at the severity of it. If elk assassin shoots his wife's buck with a bow during season (filling her tag). That a hell of a lot different then going out after season with a spot light at night, or using a rifle during bow season. 2 of the 3 infractions had a true unfair advantage.

Filling Her Tag?

HELL!

I cain't even Fill my own!

A guy is just better off to follow the law. The kink in the neck must really hurt because all the poachers have to always be looking over their shoulder.

I agree, poaching is poaching if the law is willfully broken. The "meat" argument went away many decades ago.

Ya, a guy is a poacher if we willfully breaks the law even if he's never caught, tried or convicted. The poacher KNOWS he's a poacher.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-14 AT 08:22PM (MST)[p]Yelum, add one more to the list. You're out fishing and you're catching walleye and your buddy isn't. Do you start throwing them back after you catch your limit and send your buddy home with none?

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-14
>AT 08:22?PM (MST)

>
>Yelum, add one more to the
>list. You're out fishing and
>you're catching walleye and your
>buddy isn't. Do you start
>throwing them back after you
>catch your limit and send
>your buddy home with none?
>

I do believe you can 'GIVE' Fish away!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-14 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p]My opinion, unless you are lost or stranded in the woods and it is detrimental that you kill an animal for survival. if you are breaking the law to kill or harvest wildlife out of season, with someone else's tag, or out of your tags boundaries, you are by definition committing the act of poaching. If you are a repeat offender, you are a poacher.
"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest
have been wasted"

>>LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-14
>>AT 08:22?PM (MST)

>>
>>Yelum, add one more to the
>>list. You're out fishing and
>>you're catching walleye and your
>>buddy isn't. Do you start
>>throwing them back after you
>>catch your limit and send
>>your buddy home with none?
>>
>
>I do believe you can 'GIVE'
>Fish away!

***Is that called "party fishing"? I'm with Zeke and anyone else that expressed a similar opinion on the OP questions.

You shoot an animal knowing you do not have a tag or are using the wrong weapon or are outside legal shooting hours or days or in the wrong place then you are a poacher.

Shooting the meat to feed you family? Still a poacher. I will understand why you poached but you are stealing the same as if you ran out of a grocery store without paying.

Poachers, trespassers, ATVers going where is not legal...all these people are dragging down how the general public views hunters. Do the world a favor and help get these criminals behind bars where they belong.

Apparently if you shoot a bigger deer than someone on mm. Our if you shoot a deer someone on mm and the rest of Utah has seen.

Interesting comment wilhillie, Most on here have killed bigger deer than me, and I don't consider it poaching. I filmed a 247, a 218, and a 225 buck this year, that were shot, but I never thought they were poached. Now I know you were just being what we like to be on this site, a smartass, and I'm ok with that. But I still want an honest answer from you.

Yelum

Getting caught or not has nothing to do with anything, IMO. OJ didn't get convicted of killing his wife, but he's still a murderer. Lots of people get away with killing animals illegally, but they are still poachers.

You become a poacher the second you make the decision in your mind to willfully ignore the law and illegally kill (or attempt to kill) a game animal. People make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are against the law. The guy that accidentally shoots a cow elk with a bull tag in hand may be a little dumb or he made a terrible judgment call. But it was still an accident, and although illegal, I personally wouldn't classify him a poacher. The d-bag that gratifies his own ego by illegally popping deer off the side of the road for kicks or to stroke his ego is a poacher, whether he is found guilty in a court of law or not.

Integrity is doing what is right when nobody is watching. Whether you get caught or not doesn't change who you really are.

Thanks for making the OJ comment. A conviction does not a poacher make.

One more thought to the original question, to paraphrase Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart... I may not be able to define it, but I know it when I see it.

Grizzly

>Is shooting a wolf without a
>tag poaching

Yes!

If you see a house on fire with a no trespassing sign at the gate and you ignore the sign and go in and save a child from burning to death, you're still a trespasser too.

Eel

>Is shooting a wolf without a
>tag poaching

not according to 95% of the people who live west of the mississippi....

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Is applying for a tag in one state as a resident while actually living in another poaching (beyond the time required to be considered a resident)? Is drawing a sheep tag as a resident in one state (the one you lived in in the past)while you are enjoying the privileges extended to residents of the state you currently live in poaching?

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup, I just stir it.[/font]

>Is applying for a tag in
>one state as a resident
>while actually living in another
>poaching (beyond the time required
>to be considered a resident)?
>Is drawing a sheep tag
>as a resident in one
>state (the one you lived
>in in the past)while you
>are enjoying the privileges extended
>to residents of the state
>you currently live in poaching?
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,
>I just stir it.[/font]

If you gain a tag under illegal pretenses, the tag is therefore invalid and I would consider it poaching.

Grizzly

Poaching is poaching I don't think the penalties are steep enough I say mandatory 1 yr in prison and loss of Privileges for 8 yrs. Caught again 5 yrs. Prison never hunt again. And if it's once in a lifetime animal 5 yrs. Never hunt again. Penalties just aren't steep enough IMHO.

"Is an adult who lets his kid/grandkid/etc shoot an animal the child does not have a tag for, a poacher, or just guilty of breaking the law?"

Poacher but good grandpa.

"Is someone who kills an animal without a liciense or out of season, a poacher before or after he is convicted?"

When he commits the crime regardless of conviction.

"Is someone who does not pull the trigger, but helps someone poach an aimal also a poacher, or is he/she just doing something stupid?"

Not a poacher but is guilty of other crimes such as evidence tampering.

"If I shoot a buck/bull/cow/doe/wolf/cougar with out a tag, but don't get caught, am I a poacher?"

Yep

"Can a just person rationalize any of these acts to where public perception deems them ok?"

People do so every day. Can't ever stop it.

"Love to hear what you think."

Game laws within the US have become so complex that legal hunting is actually at threat now. Like I stated on a previous thread we are now treating killing giant bucks the same as we would justifiable homicide, where one must clear his name after taking a life. At the same time there are many laws on the books now which IN FACT stand in the way of true wildlife conservation and management. Most states and certainly the feds need to examine and revamp wildlife laws.

I don't think I could answer any better or truthfully than what has been said. The question that I ask myself is when (if ever) would there be a time that I would poach? If it was for meat, either my kids or my wife would have to be on their death bed and there is no other way of getting it. I would sooner have some field lion (house cat) stew before poaching a buck/bull/cow/doe for meat. For the anlers, no way. I have a conscience. I haven't had the chance to deal with a wolf or a lion without a tag, yet; I always get tags every year, just in case. From the distruction they have caused, I have no problem with anyone else dealing with them. I just don't think I could do it.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Maybe mentioned above but i didn't see it as i scrolled thru the thread;

When you jump a fence or enter a private property that you don't have permission to/and take a otherwise legal buck, you have poached that buck illegally and are a "Poacher"

This was how the word "poacher" was applied when i was a kid and it still is in those parts. We called anybody that hunted when and where they didn't belong, a Poacher!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Justification is just like masturbation....feels good at the time but in the end your still just fu*k!ng yourself!

"I'll see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains!"

I was once stranded in the desert for 10 days.
I had to kill to survive.
The problem: all I could kill was a Golden Eagle. I ate that sucker up!
I was finally rescued by DWR. I pleaded my case! I was starving.
He gave in, and decided to NOT give me a Poaching ticket.
WHEW!

He did want to know what the dang thing tasted like though.

I told him it was about like Spotted Owl, and Condor.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-14 AT 02:38PM (MST)[p]Certainly all illegal acts in the field are poaching by definition, you cant really debate that. I dont personally label a person a poacher that lets his grandchild shoot his deer because he is introducing him to hunting.

I do label someone a poacher taking a deer out of season, or without a tag or even on his girlfriends tag, shooting something and just taking the antlers and no meat, things like that.

Basically anyone out there breaking the law for their own benefit and it ultimately hurts the hunting for the rest of us. Those are the ones I label as the poacher.

But again, yes, its all poaching. Just different degrees of it IMO.

Travis

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-14
>AT 02:38?PM (MST)

>
>Certainly all illegal acts in the
>field are poaching by definition,
>you cant really debate that.
> I dont personally label
>a person a poacher that
>lets his grandchild shoot his
>deer because he is introducing
>him to hunting.
>
>I do label someone a poacher
>taking a deer out of
>season, or without a tag
>or even on his girlfriends
>tag, shooting something and just
>taking the antlers and no
>meat, things like that.
>
>Basically anyone out there breaking the
>law for their own benefit
>and it ultimately hurts the
>hunting for the rest of
>us. Those are the
>ones I label as the
>poacher.
>
>But again, yes, its all poaching.
> Just different degrees of
>it IMO.
>
>
>Travis

Kid grows up thinking is okay to "bend the rules" because Grandpappy did. Rules are for other peeps. Just do not tell anyone what you did so do not get in trouble.

Thanks for creating another Justin Bieber, Grandpappy!

That would fall under the question below.

"Can a just person rationalize any of these acts to where public perception deems them ok?"

I refuse to deem it ok. I think this is one of the top violations that occur, outside of party hunting. How many poachers were given this opportunity in their youth?

Yelum

Anyone who attempts to or kills any animal by any means that is illegal is poaching.

Anyone who has a friend whose sister has an acquaintance who seen a deer walking around town that was without a doubt the animal that appears to be taken by someone, is poaching someone's fifteen minutes of fame until that harvest is determined to be poached....

like i said, its all poaching. but its a different degree of poaching. by no way am i defending it, only my point.

i reserve labling someone as a poacher to the more serious stuff.

if a guy stole a candybar once in his life, is he a criminal? some will say yeah, but i reserve the word criminal to the once that are say repeat offenders or for the more serious crimes.

there are lots of ways to break laws and so many varying degrees of it. everyone has exceeded the speed limit some time in their life, or rolled through a stop sign. i look at it like that.

Travis

I agree 100% that you cant teach kids or anyone else how hunting is by bending the rules for their benefit. I was not raised in a hunting family, so when I figured it out in the 80's I could go shoot a buck in an hour on almost any given day. I remember one year that I helped 6 others fill their tags. They always shot first and I always shot last. Then I grew up and realized that there are rules (Laws) to follow. I intend on following all the rules. Do I drive that way, no. I drive 5-10 over and don't come to a complete stop at all stop signs. There should be varied punishment for different crimes associated with big game rules (laws). There is a big difference in Grandpa passing the rifle over, to Joe blow shooting a 240 " town buck. I try my best to follow all of the rules when I'm hunting. Example was this year in Wyoming, there is a rule that states you move the carcass from the kill site you have to dispose of the bones in a proper site. So if you shoot one up on the hill and drag it whole down to the road. and cut it up there, you are required to take the bones to a legal for bones dump. My problem was there was no legal dump between me and Idaho, that has a rule that I cannot bring the spine or the head back from Wyoming. So one way or another I had to break a rule (Law). In having this conversation with the local Game Warden (before the hunt) he told me to leave it in the hills, not by the road and not by places where domestic dogs would get at it. I still broke a rule. He laughed at me when I told him that I had read about the rule and was worried how I was going to comply. It is up to each of us to what degree we should follow the rules (Laws). I probably will pay a speeding ticket some day, but I never expect to be faced with a poaching ticket (game violation).

Self incriminating poacher of the 80's DZ

Ranchers and Farmers feeding all those deer.
How about if I'M going to feed them, "I'M going to eat them".
Aren't they kind like raising up a steer for butcher, you put all the feed into them you should get a benefit from it.
I only stir the pot sometimes.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I agree with Orion, differnt degree's. Lawbreaker is a lawbreaker though, just depends on the seriousness of it.

For example, CO where a deer hunter has to be dressed like a pumpkin during rifle season. A guy has his orange coat on but forgot his orange hat while out hunting. Hes breaking the orange requirement law while hunting. Is he a poacher? In my opinion, no. Same guy is driving back to camp that night well past shooting light and in the headlights stands monster buck. He shoots it. Is he a poacher. Now I would say, yes.

>I was once stranded in the
>desert for 10 days.
>I had to kill to survive.
>
>The problem: all I could kill
>was a Golden Eagle. I
>ate that sucker up!
>I was finally rescued by DWR.
>I pleaded my case! I
>was starving.
>He gave in, and decided to
>NOT give me a Poaching
>ticket.
>WHEW!
>
>He did want to know what
>the dang thing tasted like
>though.
>
>I told him it was about
>like Spotted Owl, and Condor.
>

GOOD ONE bowhunt!:D:D:D

I agree with those who suggest a poacher KNOWS who he is. I believe that intent must weigh heavily in this consideration. I have seen a friend drop two turkey with one shot, not realizing there was another approaching over the rise behind the first. In my mind, this was an act of carelessness, but not poaching. On the other hand, if grandpa allows a junior hunter to shoot his buck, then he is poaching as well as teaching the kid that it is ok to cheat. It matters little that I see no harm in this other than the fact that it flies in the face of law--the act is intentional and illegal. My biggest peeve is the sort of poaching where the family works together until every tag is filled--even old auntie Emm's who is on the porch in her rocker--whereby a group claims tags and deer that would otherwise go to someone else. How some people may rationalize that this is not poaching is beyond me.

I think most people go with what they were raised in as a family and a culture. If you were started out in a state that allows party hunting and baiting you take this to other states where it is not legal but you still tend to either do it or have no problem with it being done. Private land needs to be posted at home... no signs/ no problem, shoot!!

Funny thing in my family it works the other way too. My uncle once told me I "poached " a bull cause I shot it on sunday.

Now for the MM (mental midgets) purist crowd who posted above. EVERYBODY breaks a hunting law on virtually every hunt, meaning every animal is poached that you ever killed. Intent and degree must factor in, and of course some wardens don't.

My uncle also said that when you find you have broken the law take steps to correct it... great big looonnnggg steps.

I have a question what would u do you come across a big game animal that was gut shot or rear legs both shot. Do u finish them off and u dont have a tag for that genderor species (because it is consider it poaching). This delima has come up.

I have a question too. Is once a poacher always a poacher?
If you broke a game law, that makes/made you a poacher. Do you always live with the tag? Or is it up to the hunting community to determine who is or is not a poacher?

>Now for the MM (mental midgets)
>purist crowd who posted above.
> EVERYBODY breaks a hunting
>law on virtually every hunt,
>meaning every animal is poached
>that you ever killed.

I had two big game tags this year and assisted on a third. Two of those tags were filled and zero of them had any law broken. This statement above may apply to YOUR hunts, but don't assign them to everyone else. That is a bunch of BS if I've ever heard it. Following the law isn't THAT hard that every person fails on every hunt. Please....

You are a poacher when your buddy's cousin's girlfriend thinks she saw the deer you shot after season and she can remember the date because it was when she was trying to take a selfy on the same day and that picture has a date on it. You can make that stick, right Vanilla. Stroooooooong case right there.

If you commit a felony, and/or are convicted, how long are you considered a felon? Even after many years, guys like Ryan Hatch, Mike Brownlee, Jeff Coldwell, who were convicted of multiple wildlife violations, aka poaching, are still considered poachers. Not sure about all poachers, but hopefully these guys learned to get over the horn greed, and change.

I would hope that once you are caught/convicted, you will stop committing the crime and change for the better. But it usually takes getting caught, before the change comes.

Yelum

Most all the hard hunting serious big buck guys that i know and have hunted with thru the years, at one point early on, jumped a fence or three, myself included, to hunt better bucks. I'm not talking going somewhere without a tag, hunting out of season, or maybe something like illegally hunting the Henries with a tag for a next door unit. More like jumping the gun or stretching on legal shooting times, taking a camp meat buck early on off a private land hunt without tagging it, or hunting a neglected unoccupied ranch when knowing it weren't right. I'm talking 20,30,40 years ago stuff.

I'd have to say that Larrbo would be the single guy i'd have to exclude. The guy is just that Solid!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

i would agree that most hunters have broken some sort of law at least 1 time over the years. ...and for those that choose to defend themselves here, no need, i dont think your all bad people! just like sage said and others, there are so many small laws and many probably dont even know they have broken the law.

Especially when you start traveling state to state. Using radios while hunting, seen this a lot. legal in some states and not in others but many assume its legal everywhere.

There are also many rules in the regulations that are subject to how one many read the rules. heard of hunters getting nailed over mis-interpreting regs.

Travis

When I was 5 I was following my dad around, he shot a blacktail doe, dropped her, another one got up and he dropped her.
2 yearling does piled up 2 ft apart.
Funny story we were driving home with the deer in the back covered with a tarp and he got in a wreck. We still laugh about that story. Got lucky no one looked in the back at the deer.

Pretty sure Poaching is well defined in the regs. If you break the law in an attempt to take an animal then you are poaching. Breaking the law is breaking the law, regardless of intent. Ignorance of the law does not remove you from the consequences of breaking it. Pretty simple.

The degree of the punishment should be based on the circumstances and the act that was committed.

Once a Poacher, not always a Poacher. People make mistakes all the time and if they learn from them then let it go. However, repeat offenders are an entirely different story.

My $0.02

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Here's the deal, for me anyway. I never ever claimed here or anywhere else to be pure as the driven snow. I know that back in the day with the big Ranch family i grew up with, how i was driven to get bigger and better bucks and how that sometimes effected my judgement.

Since then though, these past 20-25 years, i've not broken any fish and wildlife laws to my knowledge. I also don't intend to.

Being tempted though, can be tough and can understand why some guys can and do go afoul. I'd not like to be in a position where there was a Booner type buck just on the other/wrong side of a fence... Though i've been a good boy a long time now, i know that i'm not perfect.

Joey

>Here's the deal, for me anyway.
>I never ever claimed here
>or anywhere else to be
>pure as the driven snow.
>I know that back in
>the day with the big
>Ranch family i grew up
>with, how i was driven
>to get bigger and better
>bucks and how that sometimes
>effected my judgement.
>
>Since then though, these past 20-25
>years, i've not broken any
>fish and wildlife laws to
>my knowledge. I also don't
>intend to.
>
>Being tempted though, can be tough
>and can understand why some
>guys can and do go
>afoul. I'd not like to
>be in a position where
>there was a Booner type
>buck just on the other/wrong
>side of a fence... Though
>i've been a good boy
>a long time now, i
>know that i'm not perfect.
>
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Sage, you sound like its been too long and your ready to snap! ha.

Travis

LOL, No, i just know, i remember, how a guy can be tempted to stretch things a bit.

My Hunters Ed students help keep me in line. I must practice what i Preach! lol

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-14 AT 10:10PM (MST)[p]>
>>
>
>
>I had two big game tags
>this year and assisted on
>a third. Two of those
>tags were filled and zero
>of them had any law
>broken. This statement above may
>apply to YOUR hunts, but
>don't assign them to everyone
>else. That is a bunch
>of BS if I've ever
>heard it. Following the law
>isn't THAT hard that every
>person fails on every hunt.
> Please....

Pavlov rings the bell and grabs the mop... Oh yee occupier of the moral mountain top. Wanna play?? But you must be honest, but of course you will be cause #1 this is the internet and everybody tells the truth and #2 you are, as sage says, pure as the driven snow, and lying would stain the snow.

NO LAW was broken??? Lets just cut you some slack from the get -go and stick with GAME LAWS...

I don't think you fail on every hunt I say you fail on every day of the hunt...

Most game laws are written to give incredible amounts of "discretion" to the rabbit cop. Sometime this is present and sometimes it isn't.

Hunter orange category: Is your orange the proper "lumens" as measured by the little gizmo which measures such things? 10 yr old cotton forget it, it is too faded, synthetics maybe.
Mesh back of the hat, fabric up front over the bill, nope mesh not legal sorry. Hat is a feebie with a company logo on it? Nope must be solid, no print.

Wear a backpack (not orange) therefore covering up your rear of vest, start writing...

Ok so lets say you just got the full new set of orange on your way to the hunt from Cabelas. You wear bibs?? Did you take a crap on the mountain on this fine day? How did you get the bibs down??? Don't say you took your coat off, orange must be front back and head combined AT ALL TIMES, not just when your pants are on... same for lifting off your hat to wipe the sweat from your brow... ticket right there...

Ever walk up the hill in the dark with a round chambered? No can do... loaded weapon is evidence of hunting, therefore hunting before /after hours, unloaded weapon= simple trespass (Sage!!,) loaded chamber = 20 pt violation, hunting without [permission.

Did you load based on the REAL sunrise or just when you could "see purty good"

Evidence of sex attached to a "major" portion of the carcass, your major is my minor...

My personal favorite "all four quarters must be carried together" ever shoot a moose? How far from the truck... ???

Waste of game meat...see above, unless you boiled the bones = judgment call.

Ever hunt migratory birds over decoys in a corn field or swamp? You baited every one and that's a federal crime. With state and fed penalties attached.

Don't mis -read my meaning here, I don't care 2 whits what you do, but if you want to ride the white horse, you better brush the turds out of his tail.

My definition of poacher is reserved for DOW people who shoot Sampson size deer with a spotlight out of season pay their $13K+ fines and keep their jobs albeit with a mandatory transfer. You can drink the Koolaid, just don't insist that I join you.

Oops almost forgot, based on your post you helped with a hunt. Did your buddy offer to pay for your gas? (or a motel room, or lunch) Did you drink one of his beers (or a pop since you are the wind driven snow) If you let him you're a felon if you said no he is, and you are guilty of obstruction. Unless of course you called 911 and his tag is the unfilled one due to the fact he is in jail.

All these (almost) are based on Co state law, yours may vary, I hope for your sake they do, but I would check if I were you.

Taking or killing a game animal illegally is what most of us consider "poaching". Here in Illinois as most other places a first time offender ( first time to get caught by Law inforcement) does not get enough punishment. The world is a gentler place and most Lawmen seem to go easy on first time offenders. In most places true trophys or animals that will grow up to be are few and far in between. Elk assassin ...you can give away fish but to true sportsmen they count against your limit. To most the losing of hunting rights is the biggest and best punishment.

So, I take my 3 year old grandson fishing and I loan him one of my poles. But he can't bait the hook, so I do. And he can't throw it out, so I do. And then I secure it in the pole holder. Soon he gets bored and wonders off a ways and doesn't tend his pole, so I end up setting the hook after a bite. But I get him to reel it in close enough for me to net the fish. And, of course, I unhook the fish and clean it and put it in the cooler. He never touches it. So, who's fish is it?

A friend of one of my daughters went hunting with her father who had a deer tag. He shot a small buck that went into the some thick bulrushes and laid down. They weren't sure if it was a lethal shot so they waited about 15 minutes. Nothing moved in that time, so they decided it was dead and started moving into the bulrushes when the deer got up and started walking quickly to the other side. The father put another shot into it and it went down hard this time. Of course they were happy as can be UNTIL they realized it wasn't the first deer. He had unknowingly killed 2 of them! So, was he a poacher? Maybe. Was he sited? No, because the friend called my daughter who also had a tag and she went out and tagged one of the deer. The problem was solved, but was she also a poacher and should both of them have been sited?

Sometimes the letter of the law doesn't do justice to the spirit of the law.

"Sometimes the letter of the law doesn't do justice to the spirit of the law."

Good examples elk, and well said. I agree 100%!

Laws were broken, but intent was pure. In these cases justice was served and the punishment fit the crime.

I have heard of folks who have actually turned themselves in doing the right thing, circumstances similar, and they were still ticketed for the offense. I have been told this is because if they didn't do this then everyone would simply poach and turn themselves in.

Laws are black and white on the books but they can't cover all circumstances. This is where Field Officers, a Jury and a Judge come into play.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom