When is a road open for public use?

ratherbhuntin

I was hoping the wealth of knowledge from the seasoned NM hunters could help me out. What agency would be the best place to contact with regards to whether a road is public or private. There are several roads in the area that I have hunted that look like they cut through private ranches and go into state land. I am assuming that they are private but want to get an objective answer.

Any help is much appreciated.

Depends on what agencies land your trying to access. Comes down to agreements between the agency and landowners for right of ways.Some units vary also..

Yeah, not an easy answer.

If map shows County Road, then contact the County. If Forest Service Road, then the appropriate FS, etc.

In some units roads that are identified as County have not been maintained (on purpose) and reverted to property owner, so even though every source indicates a public road, they are (legally, unfortunately) gated and locked, but the County would know.

Good luck, and if you find a road gated/locked illegally bring it to the attention of G&F, NMWF & the appropriate authorities.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom