When to get a new sleeping bag?

WillPower

Would like opinions on when to get a new sleeping bag? Mine is 10 years old, is a The North Face 0 degree goose down mummy bag. I like the bag, but seems as though loosing some of its thermal value, so just curious when is a good time to buy a new bag? Again, I like the bag, but have lost a few feathers here and there, so thinking about buying a new bag, but hate to if my current down bag will essentially last forever..........

Thanks,

WP

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

I have a Marmot bag that is about the same age as yours. Last year I carefully washed and dried it and got most, if not all, of the loft back. I also re-applied the DWR coating. When all was said and done I felt I had a bag that was 95% of new. If washing your bag scares you, there are places that will launder it for you.

You can also send your bag in and have additional down added to restore the loft and replace what has been lost.

A lot depends on how it was stored and used. Do you keep it compressed? Or loose? Compressing the bag will break down the down over time. You'll notice the loft going down and maybe not getting the thermal value you used to out of it.

I would second the recommendation to wash it with some good down wash (you can get it at REI and similar places) and dry it and see how it turns out. When I dry my down items I put a tennis ball or two in with them in the dryer to break up the down clumps and really get it fluffy.

If that doesn't work, it may be time for a new bag.

Thanks for the tips guys. I may have it cleaned. I do try and keep it in its non-compression sack when not using it. Yeah, 10 year olders doesn't make the cold any easier, but really not sure that is it as I am without a doubt in the best shape of my life right now, still to your poiht the cold has its effects on older muscles, etc........................I think I was really looking for some excuses to buy a new bag! Happy holidays and thanks again for the feedback.

WP

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom