Where do I start???

Blackknight

I'm thinking of getting into muzzleloading and I want a gun that has good success all around! Any help in getting started would be appreciated. I want to start putting in for deer in the Kaibab.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-06 AT 11:42PM (MST)[p]Arizona allows scopes on muzzleloaders so you might want to consider a rifle that works well with a scope. Many of the bolt action type of rifles tend to crud up the scopes due to blowby on the bolt face when the primer is set off. Closed breech like the Omega, T/C Encore, NEF break action etc. tend to be less apt to mess up the scope. Also the break action types have more barrel available for the total over all length due to not losing barrel length due to the bolt requirement. My recommendation for a break action that is reasonable for cost and american made is either the H&R Sidekick or the NEF Huntsman. The T/C Omega is another good choice. The Encore is great but due to being able to switch barrels and the overall design the cost is a lot higher. Arizona also allows closed breech design so anything that loads from the front is legal. The Savage is not legal if used with nitrocellulous powder. Smokeless powder is not legal in Arizona. The Savage is too complex and too expensive for use with other than smokeless powder.

> Many of
>the bolt action type of
>rifles tend to crud up
>the scopes due to blowby
>on the bolt face when
>the primer is set off.

Stick a piece of duct tape up on the bottom of the scope. Just pull it off and replace when it gets gunked up, problem solved.

>Closed breech like the Omega,
>T/C Encore, NEF break action
>etc. tend to be less
>apt to mess up the
>scope.

Be aware some of these types of MLs are NOT legal in some states including Utah. Regs state they must have an exposed breech.

-DallanC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom