Which 30.06 elk bullet

F

FirstElkHunt

two of us are going on our first elk hunt in september and want advice from real hunters, not someone who gets paid to hunt. which bullet or bullets are going to do the job? we have read nosler partition, winchester failsafe, swift scirocco, hornaday sst, barnes x, etc.... and should be 180 grain. is there a certain one that doesnt stack up to the rest? we will really appreciate any advice we can get. kill the wolves before we get there.

180 grain swift a frame...You will pay more for this bullet, but it is by far the best you can buy in my opinion.

I think any of the bullets you listed will kill an elk pretty well I personally like a bonded core bullet, they will hold up well and retain more weight which means more energy I shoot 180 gr accubonds out of my .300 wsm

I've used the accubond 180 grain in my 30.06 and have killed two elk. Both ran less than 30 yards and I was impressed with the killing power.
Kurt

I shoot 180gr partitions out of a .300 win mag, and my elk and my wife's last year didn't go more than 15 yds. Wife's elk was shot at 350 and mine at 400 yds... My buddy uses the triple shocks and he likes em...Guess at the end of the day, the best bullet is the one your gun shoots good!

Any premium bullet that shoot's well and that you can afford enough of to practice at range, since you are as likely to see elk at distance as you are to see them up close and you don NOT want to chase a wounded elk as they end up in the worst places and they are BIG.

Killed my bull with a 140gr via 280 Ackley.........put ANY good bullet where you're supposed to and the elk will die.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom