Which arrows?

Bowhunter05

Hey guys/gals. I'm looking to get some new arrows for this year's hunts. I really wanna try some micro diameter arrows since all I have ever used is the regular sizes. I have been contemplating the Easton full metal jackets for a long time but I am still unsure. I also saw Easton has the axis which is a carbon small diameter arrow. Anyone have any recommendations and should I just say screw it and get the FMJ'S. I shoot a pse evolve 70 pound with 29 inch draw. Hunt mostly mule deer out west

I made the switch from full metal jackets to those axis, a great shaft and withstand a lot more shooting than those full metal.

We're you bending fmj's alot? That's my biggest fear. They are very expensive and I would hate to have to keep replacing them. I would by a dozen so six for practice and six for hunting.

>We're you bending fmj's alot? That's
>my biggest fear. They are
>very expensive and I would
>hate to have to keep
>replacing them. I would by
>a dozen so six for
>practice and six for hunting.
>
not a lot but enough to throw off my target shooting and I have no problems with the axis.

Been shooting the Axis arrows for 6-7 years now with great results. They are super accurate and perform well on elk and deer also. I have considered the GT Velocity arrow but just can't find any good reason to change from the Axis.

Good luck in your search, remember that all those advertisements each year are to get the consumer to abandon his proven setup and buy new gear every year.

I have victory vaps and hated them until I switched to firenock outserts. The insert/outserts that victory makes are a bad design in my opinion and I broke 7 arrows right behind the insert.

I now have firenock outserts and shoot them through wood with montecs broadheads and they held up.

I just broadhead tuned and validated my bow out to 80 yards and they are shooting exceptional and at 80 I have montecs grouping with field points.

FMJ's last forever and they don't bend unless you don't pull them out of target straight. If you pull stightly sideways thats when you and bend the arrow. I pulled incorrectly once and bent a FMJ. Once I figered out how the arrow bent, never had another issue. Shooting same arrows target shooting since FMJ's came out. Our group has about 10 dozen FMJ's and no bent arrows...

))))------->

I ended up going with the fmj's just got them home and two hours later the glue in the insert still isn't dry? I went to screw in a field tip just now and I can pull the whole insert out... How long does it take to set?

I have the FMJs also, I glued the inserts and let them dry for 24 hours. Mine are solid. I'm pretty sure the instructions said 18-24 hours

O sweet thanks for the info. It would have been nice of the guy at my bow shop to tell me that seeing as that I told him I am new to these arrows.

I started shooting the carbon injexions after shooting the Axis for 2 years. Nothing wrong with the Axis, I just like to tinker :) So far I'm impressed. My hunting partner shoots the FMJs and loves them. He has a 30" draw and shooting 70 lbs... He (and bowhunter05) can get away with a really heavy arrow.
As for the insert glue, there's a few different versions out there; in short, there's fast-set (dries in about 5-10 min). the other is a slow-set, which some take up to 24 hrs to cure. I started using the goat tuff glue (fast set) and so far, so good.

I will throw another option out there

I shoot 250 spine VAPs with firenock outserts. I had very poor results in durability with the standard victory vap outsert.

Firenock can be bought for any micro diameter shaft in my testing they really protect the arrow shaft.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom