Which big game rifle would you choose??

chops24

in doing my research, i figured i would try and tap in on the wealth of knowledge here. I have been hunting with a springfield 30-06 since I can remember, but now its time to upgrade.. I primarily bow hunt for big game and use my Savage .243 or Rock River 5.56 AR for predators but I need a big game rifle for the occasional Oryx, Elk or other big game hunt that may come up. I have been considering going with a AR-10/R-25 .308 platform but am not totally sold on it, plus the fact that I can buy two nice bolt guns for the price of one AR platform .308. Money is not a real big concern as I have around 1k to spend, but am looking for some input. The bolt rifles I have been considering are T/C, the tried and true Remington 700, Savage, and Howa. I am also undecided on caliber? clear as mud? What say you?

also, i dont see myself taking shots at anything over MAX 500. thats with a solid rest and good wind. open to all suggestions. thanks

Given the few options you've listed a 700 in 7 mag or 300 win mag would be my choice.

Remington 700 in 7Mag is pretty darn solid. Get it in a fiberglass stock and you've got a usable rig in any situation.

Ruger bolts guns are a very good bang-for-buck too.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

i would say .270 win, wsm and weatherby. .280, any of the various 7 mags, any of the various .300's and don't forget the .325 and 8 mag. in any rifle platform you prefer. i like remington, weatherby, sako

Look at all the rifles and choose the one with the features you like the most. Magnums and standard calibers will differ in terms of barrel length, action length, and weight. Pick the one that fits you the best with the features you like the most. Then worry about caliber.

Since I got my 300RUM a few years back I have not even taken another gun out of the safe. I love it for all species and it is making the journey to the dark continent in a couple of weeks. Great for long and short shots and put down power. By far my gun of choice.

wow thank you for all the responses. i was leaning towards a 300 win mag due to some friends satisfaction with the round. i will be shopping this weekend and doing more research. thanks again..

P.S. the 30-06 was stolen from my house...GRRRRR

All MY rifles are Brownings BUT I bought my wife a Savage stainless in 7mm-08 4 years ago. Best trigger I own. very accurate with 2 different bullets and numerous powders. If/when I buy a 7mm or 300 wsm, it's going to be in the Savage.

Na its easy to beat it with a Winchester :)

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom