which brand in 300 win mag

bingo

OK, my mom asked for my help picking out a gun for my dad for his 60th Bday. After alot of research I have narrowed down to the 300 win mag with the 270WSM as a close second.
Now I am trying to decide between makes. We have touched and felt all of these and like all of them. We may or may not put a muzzlebreak on it after the fact but will be topping it with a Zeiss 6.5x20 and customizing the turrets with the loads it likes etc. Here are the ones we like:
Remington 700 SPS
Weatherby Vanguard sub Moa
Tikka T3

thoughts or opinions?

I really like the T3's...But the lightweight of the Tikka may produce some good recoil with a 300WM...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-09 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]Either the Remington or the Vanguard will give him a good life of service and can achieve great accuracy and are well built. Make sure he has a good quality recoil pad on it and he may not need a brake. It's a great choice and most.300 winny mags shoot very well and there's a ton of factory loads out there to find the one that works the best for him. The .270WSM is also a great choice that should work well and has some ammuniton available that will work great. ( sorry about the edit but i though you had decided on the .300 winny mag.) A very nice gift.

what type of rifle does your dad use now? maybe look at the same brand so the safety and such would all be the same. don't get a encore unless you are starting a new tv hunting show...LOL sorta. ce61

Ditto on the Encore.

I'm guessing he has a rifle of some sorts, Id get whatever one is different than what he has caliber wise. the Kimber Montana would be my choice in that price range followed by the 700, haven't seen the new M 70 but I hear good things.

Hmmm... i'd go with the 7oo, i've had a 300 winne for about 30 yrs. it's still my favorite. Good luck and your father is a lucky man!!
Mike

thanks for the advice guys. Both he and I shoot older Rem 700's in 30.06 and love them. The main reason he wants a new one is to have the longer barrel and more energy for long range to justify dropping the $ for the pricy scope etc. Sounds like we cant go wrong with any of these choices. Any more suggestions appreciated. Thanks

I have a Rem 700 ADL in 300 win. I love this gun. Great shooter, managable recoil, and easy to carry. But most rifles today are pretty good quality. The Remington is proven over the years though.

I had a friend today tell me to look at the new TC Icon. Looks like a pretty sweet gun. Anyone shot one?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom