which caliber for new mule deer/elk rifle

LouieT

I currently am shooting a 270wsm with a Leupold scope that has the custom reticle in it. It is dialed in for 575 yards and is accurate. I am thinking of setting up a rifle for deer and elk that would be good to about 800 yards with a custom scope (reticle or turrets). My question is what caliber should I look at. I don't reload and don't want to pay the premium for the ultra mag shells. I was thinkin a 7mm remington or 300 winchester. Any thoughts. Thanks

I don't know guys. I shoot a 270WSM, believe it's a hella fantastic cartridge but 800 yds on Elk?

As far as the concern of ammo prices. Cheaper 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag ammo isn't all that great at longer distance either. To me, the 800 yd game is for special equipment handled by expert marksmen, with precision loadings especially intended for the purpose, and to be used only in the absolute right situation.

As decent as i think i am, that doesn't include me or my equipment, either one!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

800 yards on elk i doubt you will ever shoot. Everyone is wraped up in the new long range shooting. I think its a bunch of crap but if needed put the bullet where it needs to be and it will go down. Practice practice.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

>800 yards on elk i doubt
>you will ever shoot. Everyone
>is wraped up in the
>new long range shooting. I
>think its a bunch of
>crap but if needed put
>the bullet where it needs
>to be and it will
>go down. Practice practice.

I agree, growing up I got wrapped around how far I thought I could harvest an animal with a rifle. The more I look back I was young and foolish, honestly how often will you get a PERFECT setup for a shot at 800 yards? My thought is get as close as possible and if you run out of cover then see how far you and go from there. I think this new rage of long range shooting is a total load of crap that will get the newbies into loads of trouble loosing/wounding animals. Seriously the thrill isn't in the shoot the critter from afar, it is getting in as close as possible and the putting the hammer on it.
WVBOWAK

wvbowak, nice post, +1

i also agree with what muzz has to say.

I just see the 270WSM as more of a 600 yd(a very long ways) max type Elk cartridge if a guy can't get closer.

I'd think if a guy is going to shoot those farther distances, he should try and master (practice, practice, practice) with the new tech stuff available, before hand, to take as much guesswork out of the shot as possible. I too don't like it...but if that's what a guy is going to do, that's probably how he should go about doing it.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>>800 yards on elk i doubt
>>you will ever shoot. Everyone
>>is wraped up in the
>>new long range shooting. I
>>think its a bunch of
>>crap but if needed put
>>the bullet where it needs
>>to be and it will
>>go down. Practice practice.
>
>I agree, growing up I got
>wrapped around how far I
>thought I could harvest an
>animal with a rifle.
>The more I look back
>I was young and foolish,
>honestly how often will you
>get a PERFECT setup for
>a shot at 800 yards?
> My thought is get
>as close as possible and
>if you run out of
>cover then see how far
>you and go from there.
> I think this new
>rage of long range shooting
>is a total load of
>crap that will get the
>newbies into loads of trouble
>loosing/wounding animals. Seriously the
>thrill isn't in the shoot
>the critter from afar, it
>is getting in as close
>as possible and the putting
>the hammer on it.
>WVBOWAK

absolutely.

Boots are cheaper than rifles.

I agree with trying to get as close as possible for ethical shots. I also know that the buck I shot this year at 600 yards was as close as we could get due to terrain. There are times when you just can't get closer. As far as practice goes....I shot many boxes of shells before the season and I knew that I was comfortable at that range. I was confident in the gun and my ability and he dropped in his tracks.

I would suggest that you look at the energy that's left at what range you plan on harvesting a animal. My rifle is a 300 RUM. I have a Leopold scope 3.5x10 and I have custom dots out to 1,000 yards set up for 6000 ft altitude . I'm using a 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet at a muzzle velocity 3200 fps. At 1,000 yards I still have enough energy left to harvest a 236 pound animal. The other thing I would look out for is the wind it can wreck havoc on any shot past 400 yards. Some calibers don't have enough energy left at long ranges. Just my two cents. You can get this information on Big Game Info.

quest

My favorite is the 300RUM but where you don't want a RUM I would highly consider the 7MM. It is great at long distance as well. Have the same scope on both guns and they are spot on. I shoot Accubonds out of both of them.

The 7mm magnum is awesome round with the right bullet and a high BC it will get'her done.

quest

Shoot a 280 and you wont need another gun. I shoot one with 140 grain accubonds and i wouldnt hesitate to shoot anything with it. 100 % confident in that SOB!

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

It doesn't matter how much you practice if your rifle, scope , ammo and rangefider aren't top notch. I get so sick of hearing people say it's no big deal as long as you're confident. bull crap, long range shooting isn't something average equipment and avearge shooters are capible of with any consistancy.

I've proven this time and time again , I have a 24" disk blade hung at 875 yards on my place and the big talker long range shooters often don't bring enough ammo to hit it. I've seen guys hit it their first shot with a piece of crap set up, then never hit it again. yes I know a few skilled guys with high dollar guns who can shoot it pretty consistant, for them I say knock yourself out.

No offense but when you say you don't reload and you don't want to spend the money on ultra mag ammo I question if long range elk shots are your bag. it's not a casual passtime, few guys have the equipment or skill to take ethical shots at these ranges and that includes me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom