which CHRONOGRAPH to buy?

Jeffpg

I'm shopping for a Chronograph and just like I remember in the past, the reviews I read discourage me from even buying one... it's exactly why I haven't purchased one yet. BAD reviews on all of them, mostly concerning them being so user UN-friendly. I know a ton of you guys have experience here, so I am asking advice from the fellows I trust the most- my fellow hunters and shooters. I'm all ears...
Oh yea, I don't mind spending for the best product available, including a printer if deemed advantageous. I just hate spending $ without researching, and so far my research is not encouraging.

Thanks

I bought a Competitive Edge Dynamics (CED) M2 in July 2009. I am very happy with it. It measures all the bullets I've shot through it, and it measure my arrows also. The only thing I've tried that it hasn't measured consistently are pellets, which sometimes get a reading. It is extremely easy to use. The first one I got (from Midway USA) didn't work. One of the sensors wouldn't get a reading. I called Midway and they said send it back and they sent me another one that has worked great. I was really happy with Midway's customer service. I have used the chrono much more than I expected. Also, all my shooting buddies use it more than I expected too. I wasn't sure how to tell if it is accurate, but it seems to be. The measurements on my arrows are almost exactly the same as the chrono at a local archery shop. I also have measured bullet velocities and put the data into a ballistics program, then shot on the range out to about 500 yards and the bullet drop is right on. I found a cheap plastic tool box and lined it with foam for a good rugged carrying case. It's mostly plastic so I wanted something to protect it. I would recommend it.
-- Bob

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-10 AT 00:13AM (MST)[p]I will 2nd the CED, I dont own one but friends do..seems to be right on the money with my oehler, and much less money.

It did have trouble picking up my 17rem, but no problem with the 204?? dunno why, not much difference between the two, the oehler picks the 17 up fine..other than that, no complaints.

Thanks for the good info, guys.

After a bit of research to follow up your suggestions, I have decided to go with the CED myself. It appears to be the best currently on the market.
Ideally, I want to get the most accurate muzzle velocity possible by setting up as near the muzzle as possible.

How close are you able to place the sensors to the muzzle of a high powered rifle such as a 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag?

I usually try for 10 to 12 feet, but sometimes (like yesterday) we were shooting at the Zia 200 yard range here in Albuquerque and it has a sharp slope down right in front of the shooting benchs so we were probably 6 or 7 feet from the muzzle. We shot 7mm-08, 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, .338 Win Mag and .300 WSM (w/muzzle brake). The .338 bounced it around pretty good, but the readings were consistent with previous readings for that gun and ammo, so it doesn't seem to affect the accuracy of the readings. I think the bullet must pass through before the shock wave rattles it around. I wish I had a sturdier tripod for it, but . . . .

Do you see much of a difference in velocities when you set up a few feet more/less like that?

I am just wondering due to the fact that I plan to have custom dials set up for various calibers/loads and want to have the most accurate data possible.

I am thinking that a few feet don't make much difference...

not much..

You do want to make sure the screens are level, seen lots of them shot cuz the front was lower than the back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom