Which hunting rig?

C

COarcher

I'm finally graduating from College and I cant make up my mind which vehicle to get. I am considering a 2010 Toyota Tacoma and a 2010 Trail Edition 4Runner.

Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Neither considering toyotas safety issues and recalls are begining to be seen in the truck/suv market as well as cars

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

I'm in the same situation and am really considering trading my truck in on a new FJ cruiser. I'd definitely think FJ over the 4Runner.

I drive the Tacoma and love it. I don't have any need for a quad because it gets me where I need to be to start my hike in. I chose it over the 4runner and the FJ because where the hell are you going to put that elk after you shoot it? Before the Tacoma I had an Isuzu Rodeo and I did mash an elk into it. Believe me....you don't want to do that. It smelled like that damn elk for a month.

>I'm in the same situation and
>am really considering trading my
>truck in on a new
>FJ cruiser. I'd definitely think
>FJ over the 4Runner.

I test drove the FJ and 4runner and they both drive the same. With that said I prefer the features in the 4Runner. Plus its a 4 door and has much more room in back for the passengers. You can also sleep in the back of the 4runner where you coulndnt in the FJ.

I should also say that the advertised gas milage for the Tacoma is 14 city 18 highway and the 4Runner is 18 city 23 highway.

Oh and most of my hunting is backcountry style and the animal will already be quartered/deboned and ready for the cooler.

Either the 4runner or the Tacoma would do nicely.

Regarding the remark about safety and recalls, Toyotas are still the very best value out there as far as quality goes. Dont let the mainstream media sucker you.

I have had 3 4Runners and if it is going to be a multi purpose vehicle, I would go with it. I have taken several elk home with the 02 4Runner that we have even from out of state. I pick it over the Tundra that I own for out of state hunts because of the better mileage and it is just as good off road. Great turning radius and a more narrow wheel base. Not as much room so you just have to pack smart.

The one with the bed.

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I to am looking at getting a new rig. I like the toyotas a lot. However I decided I am going to stick with an american owned company. I want a small truck, so I have decided on a ford ranger. A 3 inch suspension lift and some rear lockers and it will work just fine. Chipped out and some 33x12.5's and ill be blowing by those half and three quarter tons stuck in the mud or drift. Just a thought

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

I cashed for clunkers my f 150 4x4 for a tacoma 4x4 and I really like it. I always had a full size ford but since I retired from the construction business I thought the smaller truck would do fine. I sometimes do a construction job and the tacoma pulls my trailer around with all my tools and equipment. I am very happy with it, it gets 23 miles per gallon around town and about 26 on the highway. Oh and to qualify for the cash for clunkers it had to be a 4 cylinder. I wouldn't trade it for anything

Its not the media that concerns me. I know toyota was a quality vehicle in the past, but are you willing to spend 20+ thousand on a new car and truck when recalls are popping up. Would you trust your family in it? I know they all have recalls, but to me toyota got greedy and started cutting corners...I will take my 4 mpg 74 f250 that has never left me stranded anyday....and use a car for work/school adventures...I know a professional hunter that hunted out of a kia car for a long time. doesnt mean i would do it

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

I perfer the trucks, like was already said, the one with the bed. However, a small trailier pulls great behind both and you won't even know it is there for extra gear and a full elk if you don't break it down. So pick the one you like and that will serve your purpose all year round.

Buy American!!!

For a hunting rig, i like hd short bed 1/2 ton 4x4 chev or gmc truck with a second hand shell or pop-up camper. I've had several going back to a 76' model and they have just been awesome outa state hunting rigs!!!

Joey

I could see my self in either thats the problem. The 4 runner is a nice mix between work and play. Plus it is very luxerious. I could go with the 4 door tacoma but i have never been a huge fan of the 4 door.

Anybody who has been involved in the automotive industry, and has an open mind, will tell you the problems with Toyata began years before the media and the government figured it out.

I recommend staying away from them. If you like foreign, go Nissan.

My overall recommendation after considering all avenues of reasoning... political, functional, cost/benefit, value, quality, etc... is Ford. If you don't believe me, compare prices and check the independent testing results. Ford leads more quality categories than Toyota, plus employs 180 more people for every car sold in America than Toyota. A comparable Ford is often thousands of dollars cheaper than a Toyota; though Toyota prices plummeted with the media craze (KBB actually reissued Toyota values to account for the fall).

Realistically everybody is making very good vehicles right now. You could argue to stay away from Chrysler vehicles...their latest quality ratings were poor.

Grizzly

You have a big problem with the 4 runner though......how you going to show off your trophy as you drive down the road?!

2122truck.jpg

Go with the Tacoma. A bed is very handy to have when hunting. It keeps the inside of the truck a lot cleaner. It doesn't matter how dirty something is, it can always go in the bed. I have a 02 four door that I love. I had a 03 nissan frontier 4 door that was a good truck but had a few problems with it. The tacoma get way better gas mileage than the nissan. You cant go wrong with a truck.

>You have a big problem with
>the 4 runner though......how you
>going to show off your
>trophy as you drive down
>the road?!
>
>
2122truck.jpg

Marley,

Nice looking truck. What kind of gas milage you getting?

You can't go wrong with either for a daily driver. For a "huntin rig" an old International scout, jeep, or Toyota land cruiser are hard to beat.

A bed gives you some versatility for other uses. I did haul an elk off the mountain in the trunk of my '79 Mercury Monarch once though. Of course it was in pieces...

Save your money and get a used one. Then spend your money on other hunting gear. The truck can only get you so far, no matter how cool it looks.

Would you take a 2010 Toyota out through the sage brush?

I think not.

Go used but nicer, and you will be better off.

Get a Tundra with the big motor you will love having a race truck! Pretty good mileage too plus you can tow alot of weight.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-10 AT 12:26PM (MST)[p]Buy AMERICAN while you still can. btw not to be rude camuleycrazy, but I have a Tundra w/ the 5.7 on my lot. I guess if you consider 14 mpg on the highway good, then it is a good choice? Buy a 1/2 ton GM P/U, you WILL get better gas mileage than any other 1/2 ton and get a better truck. Not trying insult anyones opinion, just voicing mine. Just one more opinion, if you do buy a P/U over an SUV, the 4 door will retain its value more than an ex cab if that is any concern to you? Good luck

My cousin hauled an elk 2 times not cut up in his 71 1/2 camero...same thing happened both times they ran right in front of him how lucky can a guy get...I have a 01 silverado dont like chevys much but its got as high as 20 mpg with my dad driving i get between 15-17 with 33 inch tires...it hasnt been too bad a truck really only had to replace fuel pump, brakes and a wiring problem, oh yeah thermostat too i have owned it for 4 years bought it with 100k...just buy whatever you want and you get a good deal on and feels right

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

well do you really want to put a dead deer or elk in a 4 runner? id go with the pickup truck!

For a hunting vehicle, do yourself a favor and get something with a bed, preferrably with a topper. Not only can you put dead stuff in the back, but all your smelly gear as well. Face it fellas, after a few days in the backcountry, there's odors coming from multiple places. Trust me, I did the sport utility thing and my vehicle always smelled. Separate yourself from your gear. I've heard good things about the Tacoma over the years. Personally, for the gas mileage, I'd just as soon get a full size truck that gets the same gas mileage. With a topper, you can lock your gear up and it will stay dry. And, with a full size bed, you have a pretty decent place to sleep if you need to.

I've owned em all. Toyota is still the best thing on the road.
Recalls, they've all had recalls. My wife drives a Tahoe and right after we got it(new) the rear center seat belt was recalled.(this is where our then 2 year old son normally sat).It's been to the dealer more times than I can count, speedometer, water pumps, oil leaks, etc....I had a 98 Dodge King Cab $X$ that i couldnt afford to drive @ 8mpg. Not to mention those oil leaks and a/c repairs. Fords have probably been the worst however, loooong story on these. I just got rid of one in favor of a Tundra X-SP. I'm done with the American vehicles AND the whiney-ass unions that make them. Buy quality, buy a toyota!!!!

First, toyota is american built, second EVERY auto company out there has recalls EVERY year. Don't buy into the recall crap you see on t.v.
My opinion would be for the Tacoma, I like a bed and not being the "taxi" all the time. You get a 5 seater (maybe 7 these days) 4 runner and you will be the taxi driver.
As far as gas milage goes, I had a 2001 regular cab 4 cylinder and it got up to 30mpg with my bed cover on it. I also had a 2001 extended cab with a V6 and it would get about 20mpg.
I now have a 2008 Tundra. Yeah the H.P., room and overall size rocks but 14 mpg in town and 17-18 on the highway does not. I second the topper, all my gear goes back there and keeps the inside clean.
My choice(when the kids move out) will be to go back to the Reg. cab 4 cyl.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I have a 2006 4X4 Tacoma and love it,I get a consistant 20 MPG with a V6. Mostly highway but some city mixed in on the milage and I keep track every time I fuel up. I got a Softtopper I use when I pack up for hunting or camping, works out great to cover the bed out of sight out of mind of thieves. Folds up small and is quick to take on and off. I tow a small hybrid travel tailer 3500 lbs and the tacoma handles it easily.
I'd give the Tacoma ***** 5 stars

LAST EDITED ON May-09-10 AT 11:34AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-09-10 AT 11:12?AM (MST)

Just hard for me to think that people would support a company after the cover up that surfaced. Wait they had a fix at the start, take your mat out and put it in the trunk. I know most people on here say they support buying American made hunting gear, me included, but it seems to me that a lot of people don't follow their own beliefs when it comes to cars and trucks. They may be assembled here, but they are a Japanese company the the majority of the $ goes to Japan.

Personal experience from putting around 40,000 miles a year truck on and off road for the last 10 years- buy a Toyota.

There are other trucks out there that may do certain things better like tow, bigger beds, etc...but overall the Toyota wins hands down in overall quality and resale value on the Tacoma can't be touched.

LAST EDITED ON May-09-10 AT 12:51PM (MST)[p]In Colorado you can get an old bronco and get classic plates. You won't have to deal with emissions ever again and the plates are good for 5 years.
4193half_cab.jpg

both vehicles are cute little trucks lol. no really i purchased an 08 tacoma for the wife. and i use it to do some scouting occasionally but it definantly has a lack of power for me and it is overall a liitle to small.i use the dodge cummins to tow the trailer and get to base camp.something the tacoma definantly could not hack.and i would like to say that the vehicle has been problem free but it hasn't at 15000 miles the fuel pump went out. and i am not to impressed with the interiors overall strength(due to dirt roads) and have had some electrical glitches. it has 32000 miles right now i will hope for the best. but for towing i would definantly not reccomend either

BUY AMERICAN!!!!!
Times have changed, I work in automotive design for a big supplier and you can get a great Ford, GM or even the 2010 Dodge P/U. Quality has come a long way in the last few years, on par or better. I know the union is a problem and some of the Dodge's and GM's are made in Mexico, but the profits stay here. I laugh when I hear Toyota's are made here. Assembled yes, but 80% of their suppliers are Japanese, all the tooling for the plants come from Japan, and the profits go back there as well. Can't buy an American car in Japan, too high a tariff. After 911 and Katrina, the big 3 donated money, vehicles, etc.., the Japs nothing. My 99 Chevy has 250,000 miles on it and still going with few problems. I kinda think a full grown man driving a litte Toyota looks kinda gay anyway. Good luck.

Call it gay if you want but on my last deer hunt the roads we traveled everyday to get to our trailhead were the nastiest roads I have ever traveled on. I drove my Tacoma, my dad drove his chevy. I guarantee I enjoyed my ride more than he did. By the time we made it to the top everyday my dad was rattled around enough that he was only pissing froth. Much smoother ride in that Tacoma according to him.....I never tried the ride in his truck, I like to piss a clear stream with no effort when I get there.

>You have a big problem with
>the 4 runner though......how you
>going to show off your
>trophy as you drive down
>the road?!
>
>
2122truck.jpg

Marley,

How do you like the TRD sport? More inparticular how do you like the short bed? Also do you ever find a need for the locking rear differential that is offered in the off road package?

Anything that has the word TOY in it doesnt belong in the mountains. I dont care what anyone says! If your hunting camp is reasonably close to a Toyota dealership, so that when your throttle sticks and sends you into a ditch you can have them come tow you out, i would say go with the Toyota. Otherwise I would say go buy a KIA SPORTAGE and save yourself some dow for the same quality of rig. Or you can go buy a Chevy, Ford or maybe a Dodge and drive what the big boyz drive. I dont know why you only considered those to options to start with. The last i checked the Dodge was the motor trend truck of the year.
My two cense

>Anything that has the word TOY
>in it doesnt belong in
>the mountains. I dont care
>what anyone says! If your
>hunting camp is reasonably close
>to a Toyota dealership, so
>that when your throttle sticks
>and sends you into a
>ditch you can have them
>come tow you out, i
>would say go with the
>Toyota. Otherwise I would say
>go buy a KIA SPORTAGE
>and save yourself some dow
>for the same quality of
>rig. Or you can go
>buy a Chevy, Ford or
>maybe a Dodge and drive
>what the big boyz drive.
>I dont know why you
>only considered those to options
>to start with. The last
>i checked the Dodge was
>the motor trend truck of
>the year.
>My two cense

I have considered others! I'm just not in need of a huge truck at this point in life. Once I'm all done with grad school, finally settle down, have kids, buy a house and some land then I'll get the big truck. Just dont need anything real big right now. I'll also save some cash buy not getting the bigger truck, not only initially but also on gas as well.

It amazes me how much people attach their ego to the vehicle they drive.

God I hate this website anymore.

CoArcher, you said you didn't think the FJ would work for sleeping in? Just curious why not?
The way the back seat folds down I was thinking it would work great for that. I'm curious what you found that says otherwise...

>God I hate this website anymore.
>
>
>CoArcher, you said you didn't think
>the FJ would work for
>sleeping in? Just curious why
>not?
>The way the back seat folds
>down I was thinking it
>would work great for that.
>I'm curious what you found
>that says otherwise...

Randy I could'nt agree with you more about this site. Times are changing I guess. Seems that people are just out to make themselves feel better.

As for the FJ. They are nice it depends what your looking for. Its only a 2 door and the passenger seats in the back are pretty small. As for the cargo area. If you put the seats down there is plenty of room to sleep minus the a big lip between the folded seats and the cargo area. I hope I could help.

>Randy I could'nt agree with you
>more about this site. Times
>are changing I guess. Seems
>that people are just out
>to make themselves feel better.
>
>
>As for the FJ. They are
>nice it depends what your
>looking for. Its only a
>2 door and the passenger
>seats in the back are
>pretty small. As for the
>cargo area. If you put
>the seats down there is
>plenty of room to sleep
>minus the a big lip
>between the folded seats and
>the cargo area. I hope
>I could help.

Yeah it looks like you'd definitely need to work out some padding or something to level it out.
I just love the functional design of the thing. looks like you could throw a dead deer in the back, take it home and hose it out if you needed to.

CO:

Here is my opinion (for what its worth).

Don't buy the 4-runner. A truck bed goes a long ways when you are hunting. Quick and easy to haul or transport gear and especially, an elk or deer.

I bought a 08 Tacoma for my business. It spends most of its time off road. I haven't had one problem with it and it rides good and the mileage is around 20.

Having said this, I would consider something different if I wanted an "everday" work and play truck. I would look at a 1/2 crew cab. My dad just bought a silverado crew, with leather and paid about 2 or 3K less than I did. The truck he replaced was a GMC that had 200K plus miles and had little to no problems.

Before any of you pro Toyota supporters throw a fit, understand that I really like mine. But, try taking a long trip with three or four people. There just isn't enough room.

I just got back from a spring bear hunt and traveled about 2,000 miles. We took the Silverado. The extra room made a HUGE difference. And the mileage is about the same (my dads has the 4.8 V8).

If you go Toyota, pay a few hundred extra bucks and get the long bed. I am sure you would be happy with either choice....

Personally if it was me i would go and read a forum on toyotas. You will find everything your looking for and then some. Every vehicle i am thinking of getting i look at the pros and cons...Also just cause one car or truck claims to get this amount of mileage i have found people dont know how to figure it right...I also have had identical cars drove both one was a rental car one was my own...the rental got 2-4 mpg better then mine. There are alot of variables, even as much as the gas what kind of fuel you use. You came and asked a question in a forum for hunting take the good and the bad that you get. Remember everyone has their own oppinion and its just that.

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

Same year but his doesn't have the lift and tires mine does. As my friend says to others about me, "he takes that truck places I wouldn't take my 4 wheeler." My friend wants one but he says that he would never buy mine because he's seen where I've taken it. In my opinion a truck is meant to go everywhere. If you aren't willing to drive a brand new truck through the sage and rock invested road don't buy a new truck. I buy a new one just about every year and I use it for what it was meant to do. I have no need for a quad.

>
>
>I have considered others! I'm just
>not in need of a
>huge truck at this point
>in life. Once I'm all
>done with grad school, finally
>settle down, have kids, buy
>a house and some land
>then I'll get the big
>truck. Just dont need anything
>real big right now. I'll
>also save some cash buy
>not getting the bigger truck,
>not only initially but also
>on gas as well.
>
>It amazes me how much people
>attach their ego to the
>vehicle they drive.

look at a ranger and do some lift work, tires, etc... if you want a smaller truck. the way i see it is my buddies have tacomas and i get just as good mpg with my 4wd crew cab F-150 as they do.

I seriously have no idea why anyone would want a NEW fourrunner to hunt in. CO i know the country you hunt and a four runner would just get tore up on the rocks. Honestly if you want something to sleep in just get something like a chevy 1500 or dodge 1500... ford f150s are garbage. but any way just put a topper on the bed and there you go. A mildly used 1/4 ton with cost less and hunt alot better than a fourrunner or a tacoma in my opinion.

JEEP with trailer is a good comb, just un-hook and hunt, If you kill come back and get trailer. Pack everything you need to camp in trailer Heck put a topper on it and now you have adry place to sleep too.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

BLooDTRaCKeR, thanks, one less person wanting a tundra keeps the price down for the rest of us to buy one ;-)
Tell all of your freinds and family, then maybe I can buy another one for my wife too real cheap.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom