Which muzzleloader for UT elk hunt of a lifetime?

Bill_in_MI

I posted this in the optics forum but am tweaking the discussion here:

I shoot out to 225 yards with my full length Omega which has a 3x9 Nikon on it with the muzzy BDC. I don't think I want to remove the scope for the sake of a single hunt in UT as this is my 'go to' firearm at home and is dialed in. So I thought I'd just outfit my wife's Omega X7 (shorter barrel) that currently has a factory peep sight.

I shoot both well but without optics I am not as accurate at max distances with the X7.

Am I stupid for wanting to setup a different gun for this hunt to preserve my tack driving original setup?

Is there much velocity lost with the X7 vs the full length Omega that would translate into meaningful?

Leave the peep or is there advantage to the 1x scope?

I don't want to go out and buy a scope/base/rings only to find out I'm status quo.

Thoughts?

Thx
Bill

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-12 AT 05:20PM (MST)[p]When I get drawn I am going to try a 1x scope. Just think it will let my fading eyesight see where I am shootin better.

I doubt you will see much of any difference in the two rifles. If I were you, I would put a scope on the X7 and see how it shoots. Should do fine.

In fact, here is a link to a guy shooting an X7 at 300 yards. Not bad shootin: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/358631-mountaineer-x7-300-yard.html

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I drew a UT muzzy last year and wrestled with the same question. I ended up getting a 1x scope and practiced out to 200yds and was amazed at the accuracy. I'd say less than 6 inches max consistantly @ 200 yds and normally within 3-4 inches of target. I don't think I couldn't have done that with my open sights (tru-glo Ghost ring) however I didn't try both options. I liked having the cross hairs as opposed to blurry peep sight even though I can shoot a 2-3 inch group at 100 yds with the open peep. I wear glasses for distance which makes it more difficult to see the peep very sharply especially when focused at longer distances. Keep in mind that the 1X scopes will make things look much further as I learned that eyesight is basically equivalent to 1.5X. Go figure! You don't notice the difference at short ranges but for longer range you will definately see the difference. fyi, you won't find a big selection in 1x scopes as I didn't find any higher quality ($) scopes but they seem to still work fine. Good luck and what unit did you draw? Doug - (originally from MI)

I hunt with a muzzy every year in UT and also hunt white tails in OH every winter. I chose to change scopes on a single gun instead of having a gun set up for each. Simply because I REALLY like the one gun I use. I use a 1X scope here in UT. I will tall you not all the 1X scopes out there are the same and some time the more expensive scope isn't the best. I currently have the Cabela's 1X on my gun. I have used the T/C, Swift, and Nikon scopes and the Cabelas scope is by far the best.

Try the TRUGLO fiber optic muzzleloader open sights, with the .040" front post. I shoot an omega and love these sights.

>I hunt with a muzzy every
>year in UT and also
>hunt white tails in OH
>every winter. I chose
>to change scopes on a
>single gun instead of having
>a gun set up for
>each. Simply because I
>REALLY like the one gun
>I use. I use
>a 1X scope here in
>UT. I will tall you
>not all the 1X scopes
>out there are the same
>and some time the more
>expensive scope isn't the best.
> I currently have the
>Cabela's 1X on my gun.
> I have used the
>T/C, Swift, and Nikon scopes
>and the Cabelas scope is
>by far the best.

What specific cabelas scope are you using?

txhunter58

They only had the "Pine Ridge" in stock when I was there. It is the cheaper one of their scopes. Like I said before when looking through them all side by side, I swear the Cabelas scope is a 2X.

Bill if it was me here is what I would do, knowing that you have two guns I would put a 1x on your current go to gun, and with the X7 get comfortable shooting open sights out to 150 yards. You never know when you might need a backup gun, as a Utah elk tag might be a once in a lifetime tag. Just my two cents worth. Good luck in the drawings! By the way which tag did you apply for?

I was feeling a Satchy. Someone once told me 'ya gotta believe'.

Manti wasatch, manti wasatch. Ended up thinking that unit would flip my way.

Thx for all the tips.

Bill

I have a Thompson 1x scope that I use in Utah. It is mounted with Talley detachable rings. When hunting Az I put a 3.5 x 10 Leupold on with the same type of rings. I was surprised it is dialed in without further adjustments.

BT

I was going to suggest the same thing, I have quick release mounts for the scope on my Omega and they are dead perfect. I can take the scope off and shoot Colorado open sights and come back home and put my 4 power scope on with no loss of accuracy. I think you just need to change out your scope mount to a quick release and you are set for the life of the muzzy.
BB

I'm liking these last 2 ideas about the QR's. I think I'll just set up 2 scopes 1x and my 3x9 and let r rip.

Thx for all the tips people.

Bill

>Doesn't look like Cabelas carries them
>any more
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

txhunter!

You'll find out real quick a 1X power Scope ain't near what you think it is!

The average Human eye is better than a 1X Scope!

When you raise a gun with a 1X Scope on it to get a better look,the ogject gets farther away,not closer!

I'm not impressed with 1X Scopes & think a Guy would be way better off with a Good Peep Sight!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

>>Doesn't look like Cabelas carries them
>>any more
>>
>>txhunter58
>>
>>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>>I am)
>
>txhunter!
>
>You'll find out real quick a
>1X power Scope ain't near
>what you think it is!
>
>
>The average Human eye is better
>than a 1X Scope!
>
>When you raise a gun with
>a 1X Scope on it
>to get a better look,the
>ogject gets farther away,not closer!
>
>
>I'm not impressed with 1X Scopes
>& think a Guy would
>be way better off with
>a Good Peep Sight!
>
>
>
>[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
>
>If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM
>TO ME!
>
>
>
>
> It's been a long hard
>ride
> Got a ways to go
>
> But this is still the
>place
> That we all call home
>
>

So I have heard, but think I will look through a couple if and when I ever get picked. My problem with open sight is I can't focus on enough near or far anymore to be sure where it is pointing. Out to 100 yards, that is not an issue, but beyond it is. Have heard the scope will at least give you a clear sight picture???

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-12 AT 04:53AM (MST)[p]You can also run a quality red dot sight instead of the 1x scopes.

I would recommend an Aimpoint comp M3,9000L,9000Sc, or Pro model with 2 MOA dots. No paralax, 2moa dots covers less of the target at 200 yards them any 1x scope I have tried. They do not make the image look farther away. Stupid long battery life. Battle proven toughness.

Great resale value

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom