Whitehall taxidermist case (Big Horn killed by Warden in Montana)

It sounds like jury nullification to me. The jury sided against the person with the dirtiest hands, in this case, it was the division of wildlife that came across the worst. There was no need for the warden to shoot the ram to make this case. Also, I have to think it helped that this case was tried in Montana where I figure there are more than a few folks that don't trust the government (probably for good reason).

The Montana game wardens have been pulling this kind of crap for years. The problem for them was the fine for a sheep violation is $25,000 or more. If it had been a $1,000 fine then Lewton probably would have paid the fine and moved on. Not enough people fight charges in this state because lawyer fees are way more expensive than the fines. It's one bogus claim after another with the wardens. They aren't all bad but too many are. I talked with 3 different wardens on an issue I knew about locally and the amount of lieing involved would have put a politician to shame. It's nice to see it finally caught up to them. If only they had more to lose. We lost a $250,000 investment not including court and investigation fees. Simply amazing and disgusting.

It sounds like the taxidermist should have listened more attentively to the ethics portion of the Hunter Ed. class. However, the F&G folks should simply be ashamed of themselves.

Killing a trophy sheep (something for which I've unsuccessfully applied MANY times) in order to catch someone for trespassing on wild lands and driving a 4-wheeler off the roads is absurd! Like Zigga said, that sheep is worth a LOT of money....and an honest hunter (for whom F&G is working?) would have gotten to hunt it.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom