Who has eaten BHS and your thoughts

MrRogers

Well very bizarre. Game and fish called a few days ago and offered me a confiscated bighorn sheep. (I’m on the road kill list to contact) the animal had already been through the processor and was cut, bagged, and vacuum sealed. Well never hunted or eaten one before but figured why not for $20. Have most everything from BS to shanks. Apparently the hunter claimed it was a Barbary sheep and the processor reported. Either way. Cooked the shanks tonight like I would lamb shanks and they were amazing. Came out of a unit I didn’t know held BHS. Who else has eaten them and are they alway so good? Can’t wait for the BS. Here are some photos

IMG_9571.jpeg

IMG_9573.jpeg

IMG_9574.jpeg

IMG_9575.jpeg

IMG_9576.jpeg

My Father-in-law was a sheep hunter. On one trip in BC he killed a ram in the late evening. They decided to stay on the mountain for the night. After dressing it out the outfitter roasted the ribs over the camp fire and pulled out the salt shaker from his saddle bag. My Father-in-law stated it was the best darn ribs he ever ate.
RELH

They claim that wild sheep is the best wild game meat you can get..the few times that I have had it ..I think they're right

I have loved the meat from my Utah bighorn sheep. The tenderloins were some of the best wild game meat I have ever had.
Definitely put it in the top 3 of wild game meats for me (Sheep, Pronghorn, Elk)

Wow!! I need to get on that list!! My CO bighorn was a little tough, but had incredible flavor. My AZ desert bighorn was more tender but the flavor wasn’t quite as good. Both were some of the best game meat I’ve ever had though. Also, note to self, if you’re gonna shoot a bighorn and put a Barbary tag on it, butcher it at home 🤦🏻‍♂️

You guys that like the taste of wild mutton need to roast a young leg of lamb or Dutch oven roast a $30 toothless old ewe. Mighty fine fix’ens.

Last edited:
BHS can go from tender and delicious to tough and gamey as hell. Depends on the ram, and the time of year it was killed. I will say the stuff in the above pictures sure looks good!

It amazed me. Not gamey at all and was super moist and tender after brazing for 3 hours. Makes me want to put in for the ewe draw as my 3rd choice. I’ll report back when I get into the backstrap on the grill. Colorado was legal to pick up road kill. NM it is not but i have a buddy with game and fish that put me on the list. Not real common in southern NM and usually just a doe per year. Hence I was super surprised about the sheep. Figured if it wasn’t good I would make dog food but sorry dogs….you loose.

My Wife got a DBH , flavor was fine but very tough, even the back straps, I have been making some in the Instapot shredded taco meat, it was 9.5 yrs old according to the Biologist, hoping this year to be able to sample a different one, now all I have to do is draw that tag!!

I've eaten two DBHS. One a ewe, one a ram. Both from the same unit, about 5 miles apart. Primary diet was likely cholla cactus, grasses, and some other odd thorny desert plants. The meat was quite lean. Taste quality was good, albeit a bit tough. We kept the backstraps and tenderloins. The rest was ground up.

I guide a handful of desert bighorns every year in Mexico. It’s a tradition to grill a backstrap over a mesquite fire after every kill. The flavor has always been excellent. Sometimes a bit tough, but good flavor. A few times I’ve given the rest of the meat to one of our Mexican helpers and had their wife make some tamales with them. Those are out of this world good. We all end up fighting over them. We’ve cooked up the nuts on a couple rams before as well, and they actually are pretty damn good.

My son and I have killed 4 in the past 8 years or so. Every one has been excellent. Without a doubt, my favorite big game meat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom