Who needs a Hoe?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Seems lately that a lot of calls needing my Co's service, are bigger jobs that require serious ditch digging. I use several different guys and their assorted equipment, have for many years either for my own Co. or when i've worked for somebody else, but one Contractor that i now try to use has one of these or very similar.

IMO, these are the sweetest rigs out there in tight quarters.
2013bobcat-mini-excavator.jpg

What is better? Have you used one? Your thoughts? Thanks,

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

How deep do the water and sewer lines need to be buried out there? Here in So Ill 32 inches is fine. In Minnesota 5 ft! That's a fine looking tool.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-14 AT 06:02PM (MST)[p]JtB, Water lines here need to be down at least 20", i go 24" anyway, usually a bit deeper.

Waste depends on lot of things. On a job like i've been doing, it runs from the elevation the original plumbers plumbed where it exits the house to the existing depth of the line i'm going to tie into with continuous slope all the way.

You understand, these are not lines to new homes i'm running but replacement of existing older lines with poor materials or that no longer can function. Often, the old line run is abandoned, it might now run under a shed or shop for instance, and the new trench is where it needs to be or where i can run it to get the job done.

My bud's Bobcat is smooth as butter!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

There's a couple guys here that dig residential full basement foundations with those things!

Zig. I've worked with rigs like that. 20 years ago or so between project phases, i took a job with a underground Co who won the Bid to replace our local Country Clubs Water Mains.

I hired on as a pick up labor help but got along well with the crew who put together and laid the Pipe so soon was as big a part of the project as the next guy. One of my jobs was in the ditch with the excavator guy trying to find old lateral lines before he dug and busted them up. We did screw up the first pot hole i did but did maybe over a hundred after that and not a busted line. The guy running that Co.'s machine was a true pro and a joy to work with.

Yeah Zigger, way too big for the things i been doing!

DW, i don't doubt it a bit. I'm very impressed with these Bobcat excavating machines, more so than i ever would have thought. The Guy working the machine for me around here told me "about fifty grand." sheesh, that's chicken feed! lol

Joey

>...here's mine sage.....needs to be a
>fairly big yard though....
>
>
6473016.jpg

>
>
>
6372image.jpg

Whats that a ***** a$$ little 220....300? I was running a 750 Komatsu with an 8yd bucket yesterday.

And they're no different than any other bobcat machine in that the attachments u can get for em anymore is about unlimited! Handy units....wish I owned 1!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-14 AT 05:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-14 AT 05:02?PM (MST)

Hardway,

Did it look like this one?

2788778433_157dcb6ecc_m.jpg

I agree Joey. That rig {with the right operator) can get a lot of work done in tight quarters. When I was still in concrete I used an old guy with that same machine to dig my footings. Now I use his grandson with the same machine to clean my hillside irrigation ditches where I wont take my 4wd tractor. You know, when I did the HUD senior units just over the causeway back in 83 I had a heck of a time finding anyone with a tractor in Chester. Would have been a great time for someone to get their foot in the door.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-14
>AT 05:03?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-14
>AT 05:02?PM (MST)

>
>Hardway,
>
>Did it look like this one?
>
>
>
2788778433_157dcb6ecc_m.jpg

3 trys to post a pic.....I see your still hangin at the park lookin for little boys.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-14 AT 09:42PM (MST)[p]>>LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-14
>>AT 05:03?PM (MST)

>>
>>LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-14
>>AT 05:02?PM (MST)

>>
>>Hardway,
>>
>>Did it look like this one?
>>
>>
>>