who uses a garmin 60csx gps?

madmoose

likes? dislikes? recommend it? from what all i have read and researched, kinda seems like the hands down choice. but you folks out there that have been using them in the country i would be using it also, would be the ultimate reviewers. i living in northern idaho, with intentions of using it in idaho,mt,and wyo. i was looking at the garmin topo card that has those 3 states together.

lets hear your wisdom

I have one, and would recommend it. It is easy to use, good battery life, screen is bright in the sunlight with back lighting, well built, pretty decent satellite lock time, and not a touch screen. It also does well under canopy. Plus it has a colored screen, which is a must with some software. I don't know anything about the Garmin topo maps. I use other software. Compared to the dinosaur I had before, it is awesome. I can't think of any dislikes. Good luck with your choice.

Madmoose, its a great unit and I highly recommend it. I have used it in both Alaska (Float Hunts, ATV trips, etc...) and New Mexico Elk Hunting. It has great battery life, is relatively easy to use, and gets a superb signal everywhere. I was able to get a lock from the basement of my house (near a window). I also used the Garmin topos and loaded my own to a separate card. It works great. An example of the battery life is, on this years float hunt, I left the unit on for approx 7 staright days for anywhere to 4-9 hours to see the distance we were travelling. I only changed out batteries on the 8th day. I have nothing negative to say about this GPS.

Buy It!!!!

Good luck,
Garion

madmoose:
We have the same GPS and it works GREAT and is very user friendly. We always carry one extra set of AA batteries in our backpacks. The batteries last quite awhile but I we don't get the eight day battery life.. For us it is about 5 days depending on how "many hours on" and fuctions one does per day.

Adding the topo download is a must..

We purchased the Delome Topo USA Program and added the program to our computer. This Program has topo as well as aerial satillite overviews where you can zoom in on your hunting country. Great for scouting purposes etc. Plus you can down load your GPS waypoints from the Garmin into the topo program, manage the information and view them on your computer to plan additional hunts during the off season.

This Delome Program gives you 3D type aerial viewing options with your imported GPS waypoints, tracks etc. from your Garmin GPS Unit all combined together. Great combination of High Tech tools to maximize information all in one place.

Good Hunt'n

))).....>

Madmoose:
I think we downloaded our topo map area's from the Garmin MapSource Program. With that Program a person can manage/add or change topo map areas viewed on your GPS by changing selected topo areas on the MapSourse Program and then redownloading the selected areas into your GPS Unit.

You are allowed so many selected topo grids at one time. You can select any grids from any State and the information will download to your GPS UNIT. We have several different State's topo areas on our units.

)))....>

Madmoose:
**I made a mistake ** our Garmin GPS Units are the Garmin e-trex and are about four years old and NOT the Garmin 60csx.

Sorry,

)))....>

I have one and would recommend it but the 60ST is the latest and greatest from Garmin. However, I prefer the Garmin Foretrex 401 model. Smaller, lighter but it doesn't have maps. I still carry old school topo and Forest Service maps and a compass.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

i looked at the 60st.. pretty sweet. twice the price of the 60csx....weighing the priorities :) thanks for the great info guys.

While the new 62ST is the latest and greatest from Garmin, I don't see where the few new functions make it worth double the price. I have the 60Csx and it works great. My experiences mirror that that others have posted. I also use it as a speedometer for my sport quad.

I like the ability of the 62ST to download aerial photographs for certain applications and I do not consider cost in my evaluations.

You can use pretty much any GPS as a speedo.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom