Why do you hunt

LuckyShot

Wht do I hunt? Because my Dad took me into the mountains when I was 4 years old and put a home-made birch-wood bow in my hand. Then he taught me how to shoot it. Rather than going on business trips or to ball games with his friends, he was hiking down a mountain trail with me on his shoulders, my brother tugging along behind. Dad showed us how to follow tracks, spot a water source from a mile away, build a fire and sleep under the stars even when it was too cold to be comfortable. He taught me how to build a ground blind and to rub fresh sage leaves all over my clothes to cover up my scent. Why do I hunt? Because my dad taught me to "Pick a spot" when aiming at a nice deer; to maintain my composure. Thene he re-assured me when I missed. Why do I hunt? Because my Dad talked to me during those hours by the fire or the hours in the tent. We spoke about everything that has nothing to do with hunting. It went much deeper than that. Why do I hunt? Because I have learned, through my father, that hunting is the means through which goals are attained, happiness and excitement are discovered, obstacles are overcome, and relationships are cemented in time. My father, myself, and now my five children....thats why I hunt. So why do you all hunt?

For me it's all about that adrenaline rush after the shot...not even jumping a dirtbike a hundred feet across a sand dune can get the ole heart pumping like smacking a buck with an bow and arrow...I can't wait to smack a true monster one day!! Yea I know you've got a couple of those ya lucky sob!! Hehe jk Kipper you're an awesome bowhunter dude!! :)

~Z~

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-09 AT 11:48PM (MST)[p]Damn Luckyshot you pretty much said it in your post. A-lot of the same reasons myself. I just want to continue the tradition with my family. Lately I like to get out and away from the everyday ratrace. It's not all about killing somthing as much as just enjoying the sport and freedom we have.

Great post to.

That's not true nickman.
It's:
Because Golf & tennis suck!

we are YoungCountry, we like all kinds
of music and people, 'cause we do draw some lines'
no our hair is not orange,we don't wear chains and spikes
but we know how to have fun come Saturday night

I HUNT BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT HASNT TAKEN IT AWAY FROM ME YET. BUT I GOTTA TELL U MY DAD WAS NEVER AROUNG TO TAKE ME HUNTING/FISHING BUT MY STEPDAD DID AND I THANK HIM FOR DOING IT.

For me its just something I always had in me. My dad wasn't in my life till I was 10 and even before that it was something I knew I would do the rest of my life. I've only hunted with my dad about 4 times. The way he hunts is totally opposite of how I hunt. Hunting is just a passion, either you're passionate and do it for love or your just another statistic

I hunt because I have to, I have a drive that can only be quenched by hunting,....it's as much a part of me as my heartbeat and my name and I love it. I can't imagine NOT hunting!

My dad never took me hunting a day in his life. He probably only took me camping less than 3 times.

I took up hunting because I was always fascinated with wildlife. I was always bringing home snakes and frogs and anything else I could find. I love hiking and being out doors. I first picked up fishing then found out my grandpa and a few uncles hunted. I loved hearing them talk hunting on family reuinions. I never went hunting with them though because they lived in Oregon and I live in Utah.

I made a cross bow in Jr. high my metal shop one year and started shooting it in my back yard. It sucked but I loved it. I lost or broke quite a few arrows and had to go to Jake's high country archery to pick up some more arrows. The year was 1990 I was in awe of all his mounts. I wanted one! I couldn't hunt with the cross bow. So I purchased a bow and took up hunting. I remember shooting at everything with that bow. I must have missed 20 deer that year including 2 huge bucks and lots of does. Then it happened on the last day I finally connected with a 2 point buck. I was sold!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Sometimes I ask myself that question about two hours into a 3 hour hike.... But then I am back out on the same trailhead the next morning.
My dad has taken me hunting since I was very young and I have always loved animals. When I younger I used to draw pictures of deer, elk, moose, bears, etc and loved looking at pictures and videos of animals and hunting. I don't remember not loving what we do as hunters. When I was to young to hunt myself I remember going out with my dad and helping him spot deer and looking for shed horns. I loved fishing and camping and everything about the outdoors. I would think that over time I would get tired of it but on the contrary it has become more and more a part of me and I love it now more than ever. I love the challenge of hunting. I love the adventure of hunting. I love the comradery of hunting. I love seeing new hunters get their first animals. I love tracking a buck after watching my arrow sail true. I love taking my little boys and my wife out hunting. I love hiking up over "one more" ridge just in case the big one is on the other side. I love the feeling of accomplishment it gives when you work your guts out and it FINALLY comes together. I could go on and on. I guess I just love hunting because it is so dang much fun.

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

I hunt because it gives me something to look forward to all year long. It puts the life back into me when I finally get to hunt. It takes the life out of me by the end of the hunt but I would not have it any other way!! I absolutely love hunting big game and will die doing it if it comes down to it!!

?In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of the woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game whets only his appetite. After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope, 1923

I like this quote, heard it on Leupold Big Game Profiles a few nights ago.

Andyman, that is funny :)

Because I like to kill and wound stuff:) (JK Ethics Nazis) I enjoy getting outdoors and seeing wildlife in their natural habitat undisturbed grazing feeding, breeding etc. When you sneak in on one real close and they dont know you are there, that is icing on the cake. Oh yeah I want a big Muley for the wall, a big whitey for the wall, a Grandslam, A big elk for the wall. I really enjoy Coyote calling that will give you a rush!!!

I love the sights, sounds, anticipation and because dad showed my things like Luckyshot's dad.......and I enjoy showing my son those same things.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Luckyshot, The same guy that got you started was my mentor too. Before you was born I shared hunting camp with him. great memories.. like when I wacked two forkies in the same day at lebaron I was just 16 at the time. As for the question. Heck I dont really know why. I have just been doing it so dang long that it has become a habit. BTW is unco beo coming north too hunt?

Ever since I can remember,I longed to go "Up North" hunting with my dad. Seeing him come home after one of his trips with his hunting buddies, truck loaded with antlers and meat only fueled my desire more. When I turned 12 it was finally time for me to join dad on the trip to Northern Wisconsin to chase whitetails. Luck was with me as I took a beautiful 8 pt. on my 3rd day of hunting(21" outside,short pts but good mass)34 yrs. later I can still remember the moment I took him as if it was yesterday. We do not hunt in a trophy rich area and I have not taken a better buck since. Our group has taken a few over the years that were better, but not by a whole lot. All but 1 of the guys I met 34 yrs. ago are still hunting with us, along with some of their children who are now adults as well. We have forged friendships that will always be. We all live a fair distance apart and we do try to get together once in a while outside of deer hunting, but seeing each other for the opener is a certainty. I love the guys I hunt with, and I can't wait for them to finally meet my 9 yr. old son. Scott will be joining his grandpa and me for his first deer hunt. Grandpa isn't getting any younger and he has had some health issues the last couple of years.(although he has never missed a day of deer hunting-EVER) Gramps is as excited as I am to have Scott joining us, finally 3 generations of us will be hunting together.

So for me, it isn't about knocking down a giant. It is about the friends and family that I hunt with, the stories(lies) that we share over a few cold beers, getting up and making breakfast at 5:30 every morning(my favorite time of the day),fair chase hunting on public forest lands, remebering the country how it was 34 yrs. ago compared to what it looks like now, the anticipation of teaching my son to hunt ethically the way my father taught me.

Memories, family and friends. That is why I hunt.

Safe seasons to all. And thanks for starting this thread, it has started the memories flowing and fueled anticipatiion for the upcoming season.

Nails.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom