Why no orange?

elks96

Long Time Member
So I am always surprised at how many times I see people post pics from here in Colorado, or other states where there is an orange requirement and they never appear to have any orange on.

I understand many people take it off at the pictures, but with the idiots you can find I tend to keep it close.

I see many pics where a person has no orange on and is wearing a non orange pic. despite the state requiring orange hats etc.

So what is the big deal with just keeping the orange on? Never take mine off so I just do not understand?

my personal experence is take all my heavy clothes off and get ready for the work ahead. i dont enjoy trying to wear heavy clothes and quarter an animal out and get blood all over my clothes....

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-12 AT 06:01PM (MST)[p]Oh man is that the answer... If I had a life I fully understand what and why people do what they do? WOW, I never knew...

>my personal experence is take all
>my heavy clothes off and
>get ready for the work
>ahead. i dont enjoy
>trying to wear heavy clothes
>and quarter an animal out
>and get blood all over
>my clothes....

Makes sense... but why pack a different hat just for the pics? I am not calling anyone out just asking, I never wear that many clothes but do find myself rolling sleeves up etc.

A lot of people don't wear orange hats when they are rifle hunting so they probably aren't packing another hat for the pic. Why does it bother you? As long as they are wearing it when they are hunting I don't see why it matters.

114 Posts by ZIGGER & 115 of them were Crude!

It ain't Cool to wear Orange Anymore!

I remember back in the Banner days of Mule Deer Hunting,Hunters would Proudly Sport their Red Shirts a day or two Prior to season while traveling to their CampSites/Units/Areas!

I've seen several LE Hunts with Guides & Outfitters on Rifle Hunts being Filmed with Just Camo!:D

I've never pulled that kinda Crap off!:D

And then there's the "ORANGE EVERYWHERE" Hunts!

GAWD I just love all that Orange!

Like one Guy told me!

It might be the Law,but it ain't my Law!:D:D:D

I'm thinking about retiring my Orange,Smart SOB'ing Bucks & Bulls can see me comming for miles & I'm sick of it!

>jeezus......get a life.

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

Seriously....Who freakin' cares! I never wear orange. You think I want some dumb butt toting a rifle to see me? Ever seen how many barrels get hit on the freeway?

I would bet 90% arent wearing the orange to begin with and thats why you dont see it in there photos.

I honestly dont see whats the big deal with wearing orange in the photos.

who farted?

Personally I don't like to wear orange. Orange requirements are for safety, but plenty of states (AZ, NV, ID) don't require it and seem to have fewer accidents than states that do like UT and CO. I have never felt less safe rifle hunting in Idaho in full camo than I have hunting in UT in orange.

Back in the day when UT had 300,000 deer hunters, no elk, and you could shoot a buck or doe it was probably a good thing as guys might just shoot at movement. Nowadays, I don't think many people shoot at movement without identifying it first.

I also think orange requirements increase the perception of crowding. If you couldn't see every guy on every ridge most hunters wouldn't feel as crowded and would probably feel like they had better hunts. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

If you like wearing orange in all your pictures and making sure you have 400+ square inches on your head neck and chest at all times then go for it. But if others don't share your enthusiasm then don't let it bug you. It is a matter of personal preference.

If your argument is that orange makes it harder to hunt game and it isn't fair that other aren't wearing it, that is a totally different argument (which I don't necessarily philosophically agree with, but orange is the law in some states). Document them hunting without it in a picture or video and call the game warden and they will get a ticket.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-12 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]>A lot of people don't wear
>orange hats when they are
>rifle hunting so they probably
>aren't packing another hat for
>the pic. Why does it
>bother you? As long
>as they are wearing it
>when they are hunting I
>don't see why it matters.
>

I was just asking. It seems like when i was a kid, everyone here in Colorado wore it all the time. When they ate dinner, the store, etc. Now I see fewer and fewer people wearing it outside of just hunting. Just wondering if people are changing due to social stigma of being a hunter, or convenience, etc. As I walked around town the last few rifle seasons, I saw people pull into a store lot and spend intentionally take off orange before entering, then put it back on once in the truck. I live in a very hunter friendly area, and in just the last few years I have seen this occurring. Lie mentioned higher up, I am proud to show it off and unless I am really worried about scent I wear my hunting gear everywhere.

On the flip side Colorado Law requires hat and vest, etc. I often see big outfitters and filmed hunts where they are not wearing the legal amount of orange.

Ultimately just an observation and curious if others are seeing it and possible causes.

Also if not required by law, I would probably not wear it either.

I WEAR ORANGE TO BE LEGAL, AND TAKE IT OFF THE FIRST CHANCE I GET, PICS W/ANIMALS.......ITS OFF................YD.

...the billion dollar camo industry has been very very successful with their charade...

"...the billion dollar camo industry has been very very successful with their charade... "

Isn't that the truth! I wear an orange hat to meet the requirements of the law. When I'm done hunting, I take it off. If packing antler, an orange vest is tied over the antlers.

I've said this before but,......the hunter (the guy packing the rifle) has to wear orange, but the guide (the guy not packing a rifle) does not. Seems a little backwards to me.

Eel

I love to put Hunter Orange on every year! It means HUNTING SEASON to me and I take all my pics with it on that's what I looked like when I pulled the trigger! Back in the day the old timers would put Hunter Orange on a week before the season just to get in the mood! Man I sure miss those Days.

I have taken my orange off to take pictures, sometimes the color/brightness just doesn't seem to look right when orange is in the picture. Seems like the camera can't decide how much light to let in and I am not good enough with a camera to change the settings manually to correct it...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

I don't wear orange, seat belts, or helmets. If I want to get shot, thrown through a window or bump my head that's my business. I do not need a nanny to watch out for me. This world is over populated anyway. There should be more with that attitude.

And now this stupid state made it a law that you have to wear helmets in UTV's starting in January. They might as well start writing me tickets now.

-John Wayne

>
>I don't wear orange, seat belts,
>or helmets. If I want
>to get shot, thrown through
>a window or bump my
>head that's my business. I
>do not need a nanny
>to watch out for me.
>This world is over populated
>anyway. There should be more
>with that attitude.
>
>And now this stupid state made
>it a law that you
>have to wear helmets in
>UTV's starting in January. They
>might as well start writing
>me tickets now.

And where did you say you'll ride your Wheeler whether it's a Closed area or not?

>_____________________________________
>"Life's tough. It's even tougher if
>you're stupid."
>
>-John Wayne

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

To each his own. For me, I am proud to show my orange! And I am sure not going to take it off when I am out in the field kneeling next to something brown with antlers. And I am not going to take an extra hat to change into for a picture. Now, if I get it back to camp before taking pictures, that is another story.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>>
>>I don't wear orange, seat belts,
>>or helmets. If I want
>>to get shot, thrown through
>>a window or bump my
>>head that's my business. I
>>do not need a nanny
>>to watch out for me.
>>This world is over populated
>>anyway. There should be more
>>with that attitude.
>>
>>And now this stupid state made
>>it a law that you
>>have to wear helmets in
>>UTV's starting in January. They
>>might as well start writing
>>me tickets now.
>
>And where did you say you'll
>ride your Wheeler whether it's
>a Closed area or not?
>
>

No need to spend money on a hunting license or even hunt during the season either!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Well......This thread speaks volumes, regarding the intelligence level around here.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

I wear it in the states that require it for hunting. I have had acouple "run ins" in town with anti's with Orange on and I do not wear it in town. Not worth the hassles to argue with people of that kind of narrow minded views.

Pictures. Depends, most times I keep orange on. However sometimes I make a push to get to make the shot and all heated up. Time to take clothes off and cool off during picture time.

If they want to take the risk then I say let them.

I have a family, I enjoy being alive and I am always amazed at the number of idiots that can fit in this world.

I wear a large orange vest at all times while hunting. Some people take it off for pictures and I think that is understandable because the bright color can mess with the quality of your pictures. I've been using the same vest long enough that it doesn't cause problems for my camera.

Typically I think that the pictures of guys wearing nothing but camo look lower quality. I like the old time photos with wool pants and suspenders, and a flannel shirt. that way the hunter looks more like a hunter and not a billboard for mossy oak or realtree.

I agree that I don't need a nanny state to tell me to wear a seat belt or hunter orange. Fact is being from Idaho I don't have to wear orange, but I do.

A little off the subject but I usually wear an orange hat regardless of the hunt, I feel more safe that way. I also like it if I'm hunting in a group so my party members have an idea where I'm at.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

It makes me feel old, but I clearly remember hunting before "hunter Orange" had been invented. We all wore wool, and a plaid red/black coat was the standard.
Hunter Orange came about from a University study back east, perhaps PA, but I don't recall for sure. While increased visibility decreasing accidents seems obvious, the reality is that hunter orange does little to improve safety in the field. Many hunters have been brainwashed into thinking they are safer, and for years nearly every state game dept pushed the idea as a safety measure. A couple decades of data now show it has had little, if any effect, and many states are relaxing the requirements. It is really interesting to see how many people believe in hunter orange, after hearing about it from the government for so many years.

I expect that in another 50 years, our children and grandchildren will be looking back at old photos, and when they see the hunter orange they will no the time frame of that hunt, just like we look at the photos of suspenders and model T's and know it is an old photo.

Obey the law and/or work to change it, but there is no need for orange in a photo, and no need to be ashamed if it is in the photo either. Do what looks best to you.
Bill

>
>Obey the law and/or work to
> change it, but there
>is no need for orange
>in a photo, and no
>need to be ashamed if
>it is in the photo
>either. Do what looks best
>to you.
>Bill

well said, a photo last forever. have it last the way you want it

What is this hunter orange you speak of?

I have only worn orange once in NV, and that was my first year hunting here. Then we got to reading more and found out you don't need it here, and I haven't worn it since. I also pay attention to where I am at and what I am doing. Very few accidents in NV, and they are mostly self inflicted, and/or within their own party, not a random situation.

In COLO you are required to wear not only a cap but also vest/shirt/jacket to be legal and NO CAMO ORANGE and no faded out Orange jacket/sweater/vest and hat/cap. One of our group back in 2008 was told by Warden his vest was too faded out and to get a new one.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I HATE wearing orange. I wear it to be legal and as soon I'm done hunting its off. I love the clowns that drive around town in it, go to the grocery store in it, etc. I damn sure don't want to look at it in a picture for the next twenty years.

>I HATE wearing orange. I wear
>it to be legal and
>as soon I'm done hunting
>its off. I love the
>clowns that drive around town
>in it, go to the
>grocery store in it, etc.
>I damn sure don't want
>to look at it in
>a picture for the next
>twenty years.

Gotta love it! MM Haters are gonna hate! lol

Who cares what folks are wearing when they go to the grocery store in it? Some folks could (and DO) say the same thing about someone going to the grocery store in a camo shirt! ;-)

S.

:)

>If they want to take the
>risk then I say let
>them.
>

That's all I'm saying. I just hate laws that are made to protect me from myself. I wear orange in Colorado because I have too. I do NOT wear it in California because I do not have too. Laws that protect others from my actions I 100% agree with. But laws that are nanny laws that only protect me from my self I do not agree with.

-John Wayne

>>I HATE wearing orange. I wear
>>it to be legal and
>>as soon I'm done hunting
>>its off. I love the
>>clowns that drive around town
>>in it, go to the
>>grocery store in it, etc.
>>I damn sure don't want
>>to look at it in
>>a picture for the next
>>twenty years.
>
>
>Gotta love it! MM Haters
>are gonna hate! lol
>
>
>Who cares what folks are wearing
>when they go to the
>grocery store in it?
>Some folks could (and DO)
>say the same thing about
>someone going to the grocery
>store in a camo shirt!
>;-)
>
>S.
>
>:)

Ha ha I'm not a hater, just writing my opinion. I have a camo wrapped truck so I can't really talk at all. I am that clown. Damn.

I say to each his own while taking pics. I often take my orange off for pics, it is hanging or sitting very nearby, and then when taking an animal out I have the orange on and orange tape on the antlers. If its the law to wear it while hunting then I would suggest doing so to prevent a citation. However, I would love to see current scientific data that it actually prevents people from mistaking you for game and or shooting each other. It seems like most accidents involving a firearm while hunting are from your own firearm or someone who is hunting right next to you...

I would have never guessed that it would be legal to remove it for pictures.

I really hate having to wear it though, and when packing to go to CO, it puts me in a bad mood. WY is at least somewhat reasonable about it.

I wear orange when & where Colorado hunting regulations require it to be worn. Amongst many other positives & negatives about wearing orange I am absolutely certain that it accomplishes a couple things....

#1. The blaze orange requirement helps our game wardens
spot & observe those that are operating on the up-
and-up and are wearing their orange.(keep in mind you
can hunt small game while wearing full camo even if a big
game season is in effect so long as you are using the
proper caliber of weapon for the circumstances)

#2. Increases the number of times you will have a loaded rifle
pointed in your direction. By wearing blaze it increases
your visibility to other hunters thus increasing the number
of times some idiot not carrying binos will "check you out"
through his riflescope. As hard as it is to believe guys
would hunt without carrying binos I see it often still here
in colorado. Perhaps less than 20 years ago but still far
too often. For the above reason I think that if wearing
orange is going to be required.......carrying binos should
be as well.

I for one do not always feel more safe while wearing it....but that's just me. As for pictures.....we may or may not take it off for them. Alot of that depends on the setting/background/lighting.

I have an answer of why most people dont wear orange and it is because most people dont get of there sorry butt and hike they just drive around on there four wheelers and look for a dinky two point and pop it right off the road.. No offense to those who actually hunt.

Having bullets wizz over my head in years past, I wear orange religiously when hunting public ground even where not required, especially when packing out animals on my back.

That said, I too remove it from most photos.
I just think the blaze orange overwhelms the photo.

To each their own....

Back in 2000 there was a group of us that went to Salina, Utah to hunt deer. We wore Orange hat and vest and still had the locals shooting over our heads at some little spike buck deer. It did not take us long to realize we were in the same area with a bunch of UTARDS. They could care less if you have orange on or not.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Colorado Muzzy. I had my Orange hat on as well, but when this picture was taken, it was hanging in a tree to mark where I had shot from. Didn't go back to get it til the next day. My vest was also in a tree where the last sign was when it got too dark to see. Then I almost tripped on the buck after marking the spot. Not sure why I put the vest back on. But there you have it. Here is my Hunter Orange pic.

3335mine.jpg

If I spent $400 on a Sitka jacket... I'd probably take the orange off too... Lucky for me, I never owned anything that expensive so my rifle pics are always in orange...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I don't understand why people think the laws don't apply to them. Like they're so special that they can ignore it. If the state and hunt requires orange by law its not a matter of preference or opinion. Each hunter should be wearing orange. There are way too many hunters who pick and choose which regulations they are going to fallow or not. Most of the hunters I have encountered not wearing proper orange were also trying to hide some aspect of their activity from others because they were in the wrong.

You gotta realize!

We got TARDS!

And lots of them!

Tell a TARD Not to do something & That TARD will go out of his way to Break the Law & do it anyway!

15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

You see many people wearing orange in magazines? There is your answer, everyone wants to be in mags these days. Its not about hunting anymore.....

My friends and I always have our orange on when we hunt. We shed it for the 2 minutes for pictures We make sure that backpacks and other items are clear of the background. Then we put it back on for the cleaning or quartering. I've asked game wardens and they said that they would never give someone a ticket for that so no harm no foul.

One thing I never do is wear it when driving around, gas stations, or grocery store, etc. Dont know why, just don't like wearing it. I feel like I gave a bug ol bugger on my nose and don't know it. Guys who do can I just don't.

I think orange is a little unsightly in pictures. I'm definitely not a fan of guys who sit on the animal like they are riding it, rifle in the horns with the tongue hanging out. I think it just looks a little disrespectfull that's all.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Wearing orange has NOTHING to do with safety. If it was about safety, then the wardens would be wearing it also. You're wearing orange so the wardens can see you up on the mountain so they don't have to get out of their truck.
Ever wondered why you still have to wear orange when you are hunting on private property with no one else on there? I hunt on a 30,000 acre ranch by myself, but still have to wear orange.

I take it off for the pics that I care the most about. Big coats, binocs in most cases, backpacks, etc all are out of the way. Just the trophy and the hunter. In a hunter orange area I always take a couple with it on just in case ever questioned I have proof I had it. Always take a picture of the notched tag as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom