width

N

nmelkandmuleys

alot of people say a good way to tell a bucks width is to go off his ears. so on average how wide is it from tip to tip of their ears? thanks

"Better to dwell in the wilderness, Then with a contentious and angry women Proverbs 21:19)

I've heard it's between 22" and 24" from tip to tip when they are alert and listening. Never actually measured but that seems to be pretty close.

ok thanks sportsman

"Better to dwell in the wilderness, Then with a contentious and angry women Proverbs 21:19)

You have to look at the ears how they are lade out. If they are in a normal position 22 to 24 but if they are lade straight out could go 26 inches. It also makes a difference what state your hunting. Wyoming is one state that doesn't fit the norm.

quest

This one is dependant on where you are hunting. A rule of thumb, typically, the hotter the environment, the larger the ears....

I have heard that 22-24 is a good rule of thumb. Keep in mind this is assuming a "mature" buck. I have made that mistake before!

18-19 inches tip to tip

And I have measured over a dozen of them in mid NM to make certain that I knew that answer and could judge better.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom