Wifes first buck!!

NMHUNTER

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-11 AT 06:18PM (MST)[p]just got back from the unit 30 muzz hunt, and let me tell you it was tough. the warden said my wifes buck was only the 2nd one hes checked in the whole unit. the first day we saw zero deer. there wasnt even sign around the little water we found. . we decided we would go to a different part of the unit the next day. well we woke up an hour late rushed got ready and on the way out we saw some does in the middle of the road. they ran off into a canyon so we decided to walk in that area and cut them off, hoping maybe we would see a buck with them. we got in and found 12 does no bucks to be found. then my buddy spotted another deer about a half mile out. so we moved closed to see if it was a buck. turned out to be 2 buck both little forkers. me and my wife moved in closer. we got to 235 yards and we were out of cover. we had to wait for them to put their heads down to feed and we would move in a little closer. we were finally able to get above them on the hill, and got to with 50 yards. they were in some brush and we couldnt see them. the deer busted out of there, and i thought we just blew it. they ran up the other side of the canyon, and stopped broadside. i ranged them at 172, and sonja made a heck of a shot. the buck ran to the bottom and fell over. it was a tough hunt, but we had a blast. shes hooked for life now. thanks to all that helped me out and gave me info on the unit really appriciate it. its not letting me post pics but i gotta run so ill try again later

CONGRATS~!

I grew-up hunting unit 30. You would see a 100 deer a day!

There are leftover permits for that muzzle hunt. "We" do not even mess with them anymore.

The deer man. in this state is beyond repair!

I believe you were the gentleman I told it would be a tough hunt.Good job sticking with it and congrats to your wife. Needs pictures.

ok finally got the link to work
the wife with her buck

2583sonjas_deer_051.jpg

me and the wife

2685sonjas_deer_055.jpg

Great job on your wifes first deer. That is a tough unit especially after the drought in that area..
Hope she gets some more tags.

thanks for all the great replies guys. hopefully we can get her a better tag next year, but we still had an awesome time. now its time to get ready for my unit 33 rifle tag should be a good one

Holy crap I thought your wife was 12! Man I'm getting old cuz I remember when people used to tell me that lol. You should be ashamed of yourself, that means theres only one buck left in unit 30! you may very well have killed one of the last bucks left in that unit lol.

Anyways im heading to 34 tomorrow for me and my wifes deer hunt. After the elk hunt I told her there was no way we were going out after deer. I told her im kicking back in camp all weekend long and drinking cherry coke. I grew up hunting 30 and 34 as well and we would see anywhere from 100 to 200 deer in a day. I hiked in 34 for 5 days straight. With the excetion of the highway between mayhill and cloudcroft we only saw one legal buck and 6 does that werent on the penasco. Even then below mayhill on the penasco we only saw a few dozen deer which is bad.

lol shes actually 23.and there is still 2 bucks left in 30.we saw a little guy on the way home off of 82, but i guess he could have ran across the road into 32 lol. they give way to many tags in unit 30 and 34. there was tons of coyote track and even a few lion tracks. we heard the coyotes every night from camp.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom