Wifes Valle Caldera Elk

NMPaul

Will try to get some pics up tonight. Wife, killed good bull on the VC yesterday morning. ML 162 yard shot off the bog pod. Then put another bullet within 4" of the first one as it was lying down with his head up. Head went down after that. Very cool moment watching through the binocs as the smoke cleared.

Keep in mind all pictures appear larger than actual size.
2011KimsValleCalderaBull007.jpg

2011KimsValleCalderaBull006.jpg

She packed the glory load out over half a mile. Then packed out another 45 lbs of meat. I borrowed one of the bullet proof VC carts to pack out the rest. About pulled my arms out of their sockets.
2011KimsValleCalderaBull013.jpg

2011KimsValleCalderaBull008.jpg

I have now learned to use the timer to take pics with the camera. Great memory.

2011KimsValleCalderaBull010.jpg

Once again your family proves to be simply amazing hunters Paul!! Nice VC bull!! Congrates to her!!

Quick story.

We were really pumped about this hunt. To be able to hunt the Valle Caldera on Oct 1st with a Muzzle Loader.... Well it does not get any better than that.

In my opinion the VC is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Looking out over those huge meadows, seeing elk out in the middle of the NHZ in the middle of the day is beyond awesome.

The staff at the VC is also incredible. They are always very helpful and nice.

This is our 4th trip there and I always feel humbled and honored to be able to go there. I hope that the current status of VC never changes. If your not hung up on killing a 400" bull there is not a better place to hunt elk that I am aware of.

I am now familiar with several units. I got some good info that the burned units had elk in there thick as fleas. Thanks for the PMs.

We drew unit 10 which is a central north unit. It is overgrown and we shared the unit with a cow hunter. We agreed that he would have the bottom and west side and we would hunt up in the NE part of the unit. We had activity in the steep thick stuff all day, but, never saw a real good bull. We covered lots of ground and had sever exciting moments.

That night we got in the drawing to change units. We got signed to unit 12. This was also the unit that Ray "montana13" was hunting. They gave us some great intel and we split the huge unit in half, Kim and I taking the South mountain.
We hiked in well before daylight to the tree line and listened to the bugling in ever direction. We decided the most activity was south of us so as the sun came up we worked our way through the burned trees towards the most mature sounding bugles. We got stalled by a 5x5 bull at shooting light but, he moved on. Watched some small bulls out in the meadow, but, nothing worth pursuing.

We then spotted some cows and worked in close. Through the burned trees I spotted the herd bull. I only got a frontal view, but, could see some long tines, decent length and the fact that he was acting like a herd bull was enough to tell Kim to get the bog pod ready. I ranged him through the trees at 162 yards. It could have been longer since it was a narrow lane, but, I knew that he was less than 200 yards. I told her to fire when she had a good shot. The bull was quartering towards us.

Kim fired and when the smoke cleared I found him running in a semi circle and then go down. His head was up so she gave him another one. This shot was only 4" from the first shot right in the boiler room. Very nice bull. We spent the rest of the day taking pics, cutting him up and then hauling him out. A full days work all of that.

Great trip. Hope to go back again. I will continue to donate our $ to buy lottery tickets to hunt there. Great place to support if nothing else.

That's excellent Paul and you're right...the VC is a VERY special place! The "experience" of the place is something else and I'm with ya in that I hope they don't change a thing.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-11 AT 05:56AM (MST)[p]Wow Paul your family is living the dream brother. Congrats to your lovely wife and thanks for a great story. That's a fine bull by any standard. Well Done. Baker

Very Cool Paul. Congrats to your wife for putting up with you as guide and to you for doing the right amount of keeping your mouth shut:)

I will be calling you this AM. Need to find out what's happening with Ray and Chad. Jimbo

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-11 AT 06:02AM (MST)[p]Absolutely Fantastic Paul! CONGRATS to Your Wife!! Looks like the freezers are going to fill up again!!!! Agree with you fully on what a Grand place the VC is. It is very special.

Congrats to your wife on an excellent bull.

I have been using the timer for a while now on the camera. You will learn to love that thing. I always have a tripod/mini tripod with me to be able to take pictures and then go to work.

NMPaul... Another great job!! Congrats to your wife!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Congrats to your wife... ...that's a one nice bull she took. Man i miss working there. That place is awesome place.abundance with wildlife.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-11 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]>Very Cool Paul. Congrats to your
>wife for putting up with
>you as guide and to
>you for doing the right
>amount of keeping your mouth
>shut:)

LOL.

Rules I have learned hunting with my wife.

Dont over do it or rush.
Carry everything but the gun and that sometimes also.
Take breaks.
Be patient when trying to show them the animal. Sometimes it takes awhile for them to locate it and you think you could have shot it 5x. (that did not happen this time, she was on him pretty quick
Make sure scope is at low power.
Go over all the steps before the shot.
Know when to be quiet. (easy one to forget)
Did I mention patience?

>Congrats to you and your wife.
>One ? was the bull
>killed with in the burned
>area from this year?

Yes the burn area had elk thicker than fleas.

That is an awesome old bull! Congrats to your wife and you. I'm glad they let you guys hunt the burned areas, wish they would let the 6C guys hunt it as well. That burn was the best thing that happened to that area, MINUS the poor guys that lost there homes. My elk hunt isn't until November, seeing all of these bulls hitting the ground makes for a long month and a half wait! Congrats again!

NM Paul very nice elk, congrats, is there a way to pm on this site, my son has a bull hunt there next weekend and I would like to talk to you if possible. Thanks

Excellent story and great pics.

Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the success.

Hopefully we'll have some to share with you in 2 weeks.

I agree with you 100%. I pray they leave the Valles alone. It is like stepping back in time every time I hunt in there. No pressure, no four wheelers running around durin the best shootin hours, it's awesome. All you have to do is buy some lottery tickest and hope you get a chance. Congrats to your wife on an awesome bull! I have hunted in there 5 times, my luck finally ran out this year! Next year I'll buy some tickets and roll the dice. I love that place!

Congrats on the bull! I also shot a bull out of unit 12 on the second archery hunt. I was hunting the area to the north and west. Again congrats!

Wise man, Paul, and good advice.

As a "seasoned" hunter, maybe some of the younger guys here will learn from my mistake. When you take your newlywed wife on her first hunt, and she's enjoying the moment following behind and talking to you even though you're trying to sneak up on whatever you're after--don't, I repeat [font color="red" size="8"]DON'T EVER[/font] turn around, put your finger to your lips, and "shush" her...

By the look on her face I knew I'd just committed a major screw up, but it was too late to fix. Been otherwise happily married almost 26 years now, but that was the last time she was ever willing to go hunting with a radical thick-headed one-track like me...

>Wise man, Paul, and good advice.
>
>
>As a "seasoned" hunter, maybe some
>of the younger guys here
>will learn from my mistake.
> When you take your
>newlywed wife on her first
>hunt, and she's enjoying the
>moment following behind and talking
>to you even though you're
>trying to sneak up on
>whatever you're after--don't, I
>repeat [font color="red" size="8"]DON'T EVER[/font]
>turn around, put your finger
>to your lips, and "shush"
>her...
>
>By the look on her face
>I knew I'd just committed
>a major screw up, but
>it was too late to
>fix. Been otherwise happily
>married almost 26 years now,
>but that was the last
>time she was ever willing
>to go hunting with a
>radical thick-headed one-track like me...
>

I know all about that. She has finally learned you whisper in the woods if you talk at all. My daughter on the other hand is a lost cause.

What a lucky man your are Paul to be able to share your hunting passion with your family.
Thanks for your help on my hunt in your area on my muzzy hunt in 34. As you thought we did not need a cooler. That was very early hunt. Wanted to do what was best for our harvest if nessary.
My son took a velvet buck on the afternoon of the 4th day.
Will post pictures (if I can figure out how to) this weekend
Many Thanks

Ya gotta love a woman with a gun... and a big bull. Great job. My wife killed her big bull last year here in Utah.

Excellent Bull, You sure can see why everyone loves the VC to hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Seems like every member of your family shares the love of the hunt. That is rare among the people I know. Congratulations to you all for that, and now to your wife on a great bull!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom