Winchester Ammo ?

LouieT

I have noticed that the stores I go to have a lot of winchester rifle ammunition on the shelves while the federal and remington is pretty low. I assume people buy less winchester rifle ammo from the way it looks. How is their ammo? Is their accubond the same as the nosler accubond bullet?

Thanks,

Louie

The bullet is the same Nasler Accubond, except the ones in the Winchester line have their Lubalox coating.

For the last 3 years I have shot the winchester accubond in my 270 and 300 mag and the results I have had gives me no reason to try anything different. 1 elk at 650 yards complete pass through droped in tracks. 3 antelope ranging from 200- 550 yards all dropped in tracks and 3 deer ranging from 150-300 yards same results all dropped in there tracks all one shot kills. Great bullets and great accuracy. No complaints here.

I shoot a lot of winchester ammo. I like it for the most part. I bought some of there cheaper 22-250 bullets to sight my gun in and I couldn't believe how accurate they are.

You are so right camonick-my 30 year old Sako .270 loves the cheapo Winchester Powerpoint ammo. The boxes have changed about 10 times over the years but the ammo never has....

>some guns shoot the cheap super
>x power point great.

I got lucky and got one of these said guns.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

I bought a box of the winchester accubond 140 grains yesterday. I will try them today to see how they shoot in my 270wsm.

Cabela's has their Winchester Super X ammo on sale right now-you can get 100 rounds plus a dry box for 95 bucks or so. That is a great deal if you shoot that much.

Single 20 round boxes are about $16.

Just FYI.

cbeard, where's the great deal there? i sure don't need anymore dry box's and using your numbers, $16. x 5 boxes = $80.

Is a dry box worth that much?

Joey

Yeah Sage you're right the bulk deal is only OK if you want the box ....

I'm just so used to seeing rifle ammo at $30 a box and up now $16 catches my eye.

BTW that Nosler .270 WSM I told you about shoots as advertised-5 shot group at about 3/4 inch using Nosler Custom ammo with 140 grain Accubonds (that stuff is about $60 a box-ouch!).

Clay

Clay, Reason i asked, been thinking of adding to the .243 stuff i already have for my Dad's old 70.

Thanks for the info. Sweet!!! Those are awesome looking guns in great cartridge, glad to hear she's shooting!!

I'm in the process of putting together enough extra brass to get started working up some loads for mine. I been getting Rem. Premier stuff for $30. a box thru a dealer friend, it's been all i could ask for accuracy wise, but the hand writing is on the wall, it's price is going up.

Because of the no lead laws here in Cali, i'm leaning toward Barns tipped triple shocks. Blacktail, lopes, and mule deer only. What do you think?

Joey

Sage-

I don't see how you can go wrong with that bullet. I have shot TSX's in my Pre-64 .300 WM with beautiful results. Killed a great Fannin ram in the Yukon with that bullet in 2006(one shot@222 yds) and it was a great comfort to know it was good for a grizzly too if I saw one since I had a tag.

Haven't tried the tipped version but from all I hear and read it's an even better long range bullet and should be perfect for those 3 on your list.

Of course, if for some odd reason your rifle doesn't like that bullet there are alot of other copper bullet options now like the Nosler E-tip, etc.

BTW I also have some Federal Premium TSX's in 130 grain and Nosler Partitions in 150 grain for my .270 WSM. Nosler's accuracy guarantee was with their custom ammo so I tried that first.Next time out I'm trying those two. Every once in a great while a rifle will shoot different bullets with the same accuracy and I'm hoping I'll get lucky.

Good luck on your project.

Clay

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom