Wanted Winchester Model 61. 22 Rifle

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
Right Hand and can shoot S,L,LR or L and LR.
BDL is preferred but show me what you have. No freckling, good to excellent bore,stock etc.
I had one my Dad gave me that was stolen. I've always wanted another. Mine was 69 or 70 but other years ok.

You both are right, it was 16 years ago that it was stolen. I remember the model but got the Manufacturer wrong. Well then, I'm looking for the Winchester. I edited the headline .

I have posted this before. But here’s a comparison.
Winchester made some great 22’s here is a few.
F03891CE-5968-4763-A678-62A3DA309C58.jpeg

Left to right
Model 61 LR w/octagon barrel
Model 62A S,L, or LR hammer
w/RB
Model 1890 in 22 W.R.F. Hammer
and octagon barrel
Model 63 22 LR. Auto

Just something about the old Winchester rifles with octagon barrel and exposed hammer.

The last two 61’s I sold were in that price range so that is a pretty fair price. From the pic it looks in good shape. I did have a 61 in .22 Mag but that sold for considerably more.

I have a model 61 manufactured in 1954. I was told its never been fired when I got it and it appears that way. Don't have the heart to put a round through it.

View attachment 135652

Left to right
w/RB
and octagon barrel
Model 63 22 LR. Auto

Just something about the old Winchester rifles with octagon barrel and exposed hammer.
So very nice Lik2Hunt. Those are sweet !

Right Hand and can shoot S,L,LR or L and LR.
BDL is preferred but show me what you have. No freckling, good to excellent bore,stock etc.
I had one my Dad gave me that was stolen. I've always wanted another. Mine was 69 or 70 but other years ok.
Interesting story, I had one also that was my Dad's (I think he bought it in the early 60's, he was a GI and bought it from the Base Exchange in those days) that rifle was stolen from me in the late seventies along with a Win model 770 in .270. I had serial numbers of both firearms and included them on the police report, I received a phone call from a Detective from the San Antonio PD 6 or 7 years later that an honest pawn broker ran the numbers on the Win Model 770 and called it in. I got that rifle back but never the Model 61 Gallery Pump .22; I can't tell you how many gun shows I've been through and, gun shops around the country I've been in over the years and have found a few for sale but most of them were pretty wore out or ill treated. I have found a couple over the last few years in fine condition that were from $950 $1400. In my estimation is that the rifle for $750 in good shape is a fair deal, you might latch on it and you might want to later pick up one in better condition if you found one, I can't believe you'd lose money on the $750 rifle. I think folks are holding on to them if they have on in really nice condition, they are really neat rifles. You might imagine, I always look at the serial # when I do find one and get a funniest looks, usually get asked why the numbers were important, like there was a bad run of them made or something that they didn't know about them.
Best of luck Amigo!
Bret

Interesting story, I had one also that was my Dad's (I think he bought it in the early 60's, he was a GI and bought it from the Base Exchange in those days) that rifle was stolen from me in the late seventies along with a Win model 770 in .270. I had serial numbers of both firearms and included them on the police report, I received a phone call from a Detective from the San Antonio PD 6 or 7 years later that an honest pawn broker ran the numbers on the Win Model 770 and called it in. I got that rifle back but never the Model 61 Gallery Pump .22; I can't tell you how many gun shows I've been through and, gun shops around the country I've been in over the years and have found a few for sale but most of them were pretty wore out or ill treated. I have found a couple over the last few years in fine condition that were from $950 $1400. In my estimation is that the rifle for $750 in good shape is a fair deal, you might latch on it and you might want to later pick up one in better condition if you found one, I can't believe you'd lose money on the $750 rifle. I think folks are holding on to them if they have on in really nice condition, they are really neat rifles. You might imagine, I always look at the serial # when I do find one and get a funniest looks, usually get asked why the numbers were important, like there was a bad run of them made or something that they didn't know about them.
Best of luck Amigo!
Bret
It sure sucks to have them stolen Bret. I had a Winchester model 70 .270 stolen and the worst of all a 1920 German Luger that was passed down.

I Was Willed A Gun Like The Gun On The Far Right!

It Takes A Special 22 Ammo!

The Gun Is Beat Like No Other!

I Wish I Knew All The History Behind It!

Looks Like It Was Used More For A Club Than Anything-else!

I Got Looking & Mine Is The Older Model 1903 Chambered In WINCHESTER AUTOMATIC 22 (Hard To Find Ammo!) Later The Model 63 Was Out In Regular 22 Long Rifle Ammo!

I Wish It Had Been Taken Care Of!:D

GOOD GAWD!

Guess I Won't Be Buying Any Ammo For It!

I Did Find A Deal On A Brick!:D

View attachment 135652

Left to right
w/RB
and octagon barrel
Model 63 22 LR. Auto

Last edited:
Way to go, congrats! I stumbled around a gun show this weekend, plenty of Win 22's mostly mod 62's but z
I have looked off and on for years. I'm glad I found this one. Now I need to find a 300 Win Mag which will be easy. I need a good Elk Rifle. Unless I just stick with my .270. I need a spare Rifle for big game though. My 30.06 is just worn out so it is just sitting in my safe.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom