Winter conditions

Deerlove

Long Time Member
I just want to see how conditions are out west. Here in Northern Utah to travel from Bear Lake to Heber. So far everything looks great, warm temperatures have melted snow down low animals went in to Winter with plenty of feed. Bad news is it seems like we've lost 70% of our deer last year. Even the elk took a beating. With numbers being way down, the few that lived will eat well.

Most of the west experienced a milder than normal winter. here in eastern OR we had the perfect winter for wildlife, normal to above normal moisture but above normal temps resulting in very little lower elevation snow.

Downside is the snowmobiling sucked here and ID and WY too. we cancelled most of our trips.

But?

Were tags Cut By 70%?

Very Easy Winter Here During Januray & February!

Although It Was One Of The Coolest Nights/Mornings!

This Morning It Was 9 Degrees!

I just want to see how conditions are out west. Here in Northern Utah to travel from Bear Lake to Heber. So far everything looks great, warm temperatures have melted snow down low animals went in to Winter with plenty of feed. Bad news is it seems like we've lost 70% of our deer last year. Even the elk took a beating. With numbers being way down, the few that lived will eat well.

Here on the Front Range of Colo has been a relatively mild winter. We've had some super nice weather between storms and cold weather. We've also gotten decent moisture. There are a few natives starting to emerge on south facing slopes and the shrubs should have good growth, especially if we continue to get moisture.

We are supposed to get 10-12 feet of snow over a three days period this weekend in the Sierra's just when I thought it was spring time here.
Then the storm is supposed to go East towards Utah Colorado and dump 2-4 feet in the mountains there good luck

Mild winter here in eastern Colo, Deer look good, whats left of them.
deer 4.jpg

Wow, talked with friends and family back home in SE Idaho. 30-44" of snow on Swan Valley to Jackson area. Last thing any remaining deer needed, especially this late!!!

That might be a localized thing. if you look at the snowtels in the Jackson area none of them are at 100%. Togwotee is at 88%. sledding sucked this year and the refuge had below normal snow.

That might be a localized thing. if you look at the snowtels in the Jackson area none of them are at 100%. Togwotee is at 88%. sledding sucked this year and the refuge had below normal snow.
Eastern Idaho just got hammered. Deer are belly deep in snow right now. However, they have been in great shape so hopefully in the next few weeks the temps warm and bare off some feed.

This last weekend if there was a deer up on top of the Sierras he would have been snowed over with the 10-12 feet they got up high. More coming today and tomorrow another 1-2 feet but it just keeps adding up.

Jackson and Togwotee just got hammered with snow, 5ft or so in the mountains...40"+ in town alone in less than a week. Togwotee and everywhere else is over the helmet deep right now. Some of the best riding ive had in a long time living here. . Animals will probably be fine as long as this doesnt last all month.

South Central Utah, sooooooo far, it’s been a near perfect winter for our deer and elk. We went into this winter with great surplus feed from the previous great moisture year. Winter range had plenty of feed to on after the rut in 2023. We had some snow in December but the heavy snow didn’t start until January followed by a very wet February. Only went to minus zero one night. So far, March has been unusually wet and warm. Snow below 6000 has all melted, all winter, within 48 hours. The fawns still look great, I suspect the elk have done very well too. However, there is no guarantee the next three months will continue to be great……. I hope it will.

If this kind of weather keeps up for another 2 or 3 years, and our mule deer come roaring back…….. I’ll be the first to apologize and I hope I have been wrong for the last 40 years. Nothing would make me happier.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom