Wolves and the decimation of our legacy

Don't go posting accusations about somebody posting under two names. That's bullshit. Especially when both of us have been on this site for years and have always contributed, and you've been on this site for all of three months.

Maybe I do have a double standard on Wolf vs. Elk management. Going off track record though, MTFWP has shown that they an make a clusterf**k out of elk management, and shown that they are handling wolf management properly. Until they screw up, I just don't see what our gripe with them can be. They're setting the quotas up as high as they possibly can, and are going out of their way to kill as many as they possibly can.

If a wolf practically looks in the direction of a ranch in this state, it gets shot. I don't think we appreciate this enough. FWP has been incredibly liberal when it comes to taking out problem wolves. Kudos to them.

I couldn't agree with you more though, it is about money with F&G. Hence the additional cow tags issued for an extra twenty bucks a pop.

>remember randy there are atleast 1800
>wolves. the key word being
>ATLEAST, the FWP and IDFG
>have a very small grasp
>on the true mnumber of
>wolves. the govt trappers are
>lucky to get with in
>1000 yards of the damn
>things. you think they have
>an exact count? you think
>the population only grew by
>an exact number of 16.
>thats hilarious, come on man,
>be real with yourself. we
>had some wolves come in
>to our truck and i
>called the wolf experts of
>the fwp over here and
>they said it wasn't true,
>because they didn't have any
>collars and they are in
>an area with no wolves.
>that statement alone tells
>these guys don't have clue.
>i you are taking there
>word as gospe

That should have been ~16, sorry, obviously I don't think that's the exact number, but it can be used as a reference number.

You're speaking from personal experience with them not knowing the wolves in your area, and I can speak of personal experience of the biologist in my area having a VERY good idea of the number of wolves under her jurisdiction. Obviously neither of us can prove our point, but it is possible that the situations are different, making us have different views. There are some damned good biologists working for the state right now, I hope they're a sign of things to come.

I know there's 1800 wolves. That's too many. I honestly believe though that the state's F&G agencies will do what it takes to bring that number down. Nothing I say will convince you guys of this, and as far as I know nothing you guys say will convince me they won't. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and see what happens.

I do commend you guys for being angry about the state of our elk herds, this is how changes happen. I just think you're barking up the wrong tree.

i think he is saying you guys are thinking the same. and by the way speaking of cow tags there aren't any down here, not backing them, also for a kill order they have to kill livestock and if they do, they should be killed and they should be afraid of people and ranches. i am so sick of talking about this damn subject all i know is if i see them i shoot them, depending on collar of course.

that is not a kill order that is rancher shooting a wolf that was in his horses and reported it. which he definitly should have shot that sucker. in your article there it even says that once the wolves killed an animal they took one wolf out of the pack. that was a kill order for the govt trapper to remove one. just to clear you up there bud.

Well that's what I was referring to when I mentioned if a wolf even looks at lifestock, he's toast. I get what you're saying now about the kill order. Either way, problem wolves are rightfully being taken care of quickly.

Randy11,
if what you and your buddy buzz think is true,about the wolves being contained and only increased this past year by 4%.
Why would your buddys the biologist want to double the quota this year?????? Think very carefully before you answere this question, because you have already contradicted yourself several times and you know what they say, one lie leads to another. The point here is Randy that you dont realize how big the impact of wolves is on a elk herd. You would think being from the Bitterroot that would be the opposite.

I love your definition of a problem wolf is only when they are in livestock. Every wolf is a problem to my elk herd!!!!

"Your elk herd." huh, think about that for a minute.

If you'd read my posts you'd see I've said that I believe F&G wants to lower the wolf numbers, which is why they're increasing the quota. They want to cut wolf numbers down by twenty percent this year. Not sure why that's hard to figure out?

I don't live in the Bitterroot, or hunt there. Never claimed to.

Randy11,
Listen up son, Dont try and twist my words, when I say "my elk heard" I, like most of us here on this site pay our taxes are not these animals public wildlife???? If everyone took personal ownership and respected what is OURS and stood up to fight for it like it was someone invaiding our personal property, the woods would be alot cleaner and you wouldnt see as many wounded animals running around........

LAST EDITED ON May-13-10 AT 11:29PM (MST)[p]I'm twisting your words by repeating what you say, but you call me a liar and tell me I live in an area that I don't? I'm not following you pops.

By the way, my bear hunt was a bust tonight due to helping fish and game finally get enough evidence to bust some poachers bating game year around. If you want I'll send you the link to the article that should be printed here when they're busted (although I'm sure you'll find a way to tell me I'm wrong for doing that as well). I take plenty of pride in our wildlife, and do everything I can to protect it.

Randy,
It is clear to me now how uneducated you are! Here is a artical that came out today in the montana standard which clearly shows that you and BUZZH are clearly wrong on the number of wolves in MT. Both of you said that there was only a 4% increase last year. http://www.mtstandard.com/news/state-and-regional/article_fbe399e2-5f13-11df-b439-001cc4c002e0.htmlI dont know where you got that figure but the biologists that you both love so much are now saying "There were at least 524 wolves in Montana at the end of last year". So my suggestion to both of you is to, know what your BOYZ THE BIOLOGISTs are actually saying before you start bashing with everyone on here defending them and you dont even have a clue.

The point of this thread was if you love seeing ELK then keep them out of your state at all costs.

You clearly dont get it because here you are arguing with that, but admitting to the decimation of the elk in your local hunting area. That is why you DONT get it and are contradicting yourself. We need to do something to get the wolf numbers down to a reasonable number and that is what the majority of us are saying my son.

http://www.mtstandard.com/news/state-and-regional/article_fbe399e2-5f13-11df-b439-001cc4c002e0.html

"FWP?s report, which is available online at fwp.mt.gov, shows Montana?s minimum wolf population increased about 4 percent in 2009, compared to an 18 percent increase in 2008."

http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/growth_of_montanas_wolf_population_slows_in_2009/C559/L559/

PDF form:
http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=42352

It's pretty obvious I'm getting my numbers from the best source we have. If you don't trust the source, that's your problem.

If you guys want to give yourself ulcers over wolves, go for it. I'm going to continue to make the best of the situation and worry about what I feel are much major concerns for our wildlife.

Randy,
Once again you prove to everyone on here that you dont know how to read the entire article with which you base your feelings, here is a quote from just about 3/4 of the way through that article."Still, Maurier said the Montana wolf population grew by adding at least 166 new pups by the end of December and by establishing at least 26 new packs in 2009" Once again we will try and show you the errors of your ways. talk at you later.

LAST EDITED ON May-14-10 AT 12:31PM (MST)[p]And if you would have read the paragraph directly above that one, you would have read this:

"Of the 255 wolf deaths documented in 2009, 145 were related to livestock depredations, 16 were illegal kills, and vehicles or trains struck eight. Others died from a variety of causes common to all wildlife species, including poor health and old age."

We killed a bunch, and a bunch more were born. That's how management works.

But whatever. Everyone's just repeating themselves now anyways. Anyone that's read the thread should be able to see both sides of the argument if they choose to.

I'm not going to keep bickering back and forth until it turns into a pissing contest.

Good luck this season, really. I hope you whack a good one.

LAST EDITED ON May-14-10 AT 03:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-14-10 AT 03:33?PM (MST)

Wish I could have followed this thread...been just a bit on the busy side. Lots more emotions, and a noted lack of facts from the peanut gallery.

Randy11, you made some great points, and rest assured, these know-nothing types...they're the minority. Same type that sat on the couch while we were busy making comments, demanding accountability, etc. before and during wolf reintroduction. My comments are part of the public record, they probably dont even know what a public record is...or what an EIS is...or what NEPA is. Pretty tough to participate and be an involved citizen when they lack the capacity to even learn the basics, if it werent so tragic, it would be funny.

The lack of even basic math skills is hilarious...wolves are having the largest impact on elk...some here claiming wolves are killing 9,000 elk a year. That number is pure BS though, wolves dont prey exclusively on elk. They eat the EQIVILANT of about that many elk a year, but again, they dont prey exclusively on elk. But, just to keep things all in good fun, I'll agree they kill 9K a year.

Montana has about 136,000 elk...and hunters success has runs 21-24 percent, pretty consistant over the years. Strangely enough, Montana sells about 140,000 elk licenses a year.

Basic math...140,000 license sold...21% success...should be less than 9,000 right? I mean since wolves are HAVING THE BIGGEST IMPACT.

Yet...when I apply that 4th grade math...I come up with hunters killing 28,560 elk per year in MT...even more amazing is that the MTFWP is claiming the same thing.

So, using peanut gallery math....9,000 now equals 28,560??? Thusly, it surely must be true that wolves are in deed having the biggest impact on elk, and clearly a larger impact than hunters. Everyone knows that 9,000 is bigger than 28,000.

The clueless are never not fun to watch...

I havent had time to even turn my computer on since Sunday...Been on the Hill in D.C., Four straight days, 12-16 hour days. Between myself and 17 other people we had 103 meetings with Congressionals and/or staffers from 20 states...not to mention conferences, etc.

BuzzH,
Hey buzz, Before you jump back into the discussion, you need to go back to thread 66 and answere wynontypicals questions for you. unless you are emberressed to answere the questions. Or maybe you are a typical liberal politician who doesnt know how to answere a direct question????? I mean you said you just came from DC???? And just read the thread you and 22 year old buddy are the only in favor of the wolves, so that does make you the minority on this thread.

I dont need to do anything...and you need a course in comprehension...if only obviously.

Show me where I said I was in favor of wolves...for starters.

BuzzH,
You afraid of telling everyone who you really are???? Maybe, just maybe its because you might lose randy11 as a follower.

Your the one that started this whole heated discussion with your liberal, tree hugger views. This thread was started as way to get the UT,Co,NV, NM and AZ folks to stand up and fight against the wolves and then you go and try and say that the wolves are not the issue thus insinuating that wolves are not the main cause of the drop in elk numbers. You are the minority BUZZ whether you like it or not. Now unless you choose to stand for yourself and let everyone know who funds you and what allows you to have and spend so much time in everyones state and honey hole then your credibility gone and everything you have said is a bunch of crap!!!

LAST EDITED ON May-14-10 AT 10:26PM (MST)[p]See the guy in the pictures I posted...that would be me.

I'm not the minority, the people that know and understand the issue are all saying the exact same thing. They have access to the same data, belong to local sporting groups, and have the most political clout regarding the wolf issue. They're making the important decisions and are clearly guiding management. The wolf crybabies...not so much.

In this thread, I have repeatedly said I fully support ranchers killing wolves to protect livestock, fully support legal wolf seasons, support adding recreational trapping of wolves to meet quotas, support MT's proposals to increase the wolf quotas to 216, support the control of wolves via government hunters when necessary and prudent.

What I dont do is listen to emotional crap when there is peer-reviewed science and data available from the USFWS, FWP, IG&F, etc.

When some joker claims that wolves are the number one problem with elk numbers...and they claim wolves kill 9,000 elk a year in Montana, while hunters kill 28,000...yeah, I'm not going to listen to that $hit like I've never read a harvest report or passed 3rd grade math.

I understand the issue, the wolves arent going to be eliminated in WY, ID, and MT...EVER...wont happen, and thats a fact. I'm also fully aware that wolves are not the main problem with elk numbers, because the data and facts clearly indicate they arent.

I'm interested in facts...and you have provided no facts...you can figure things out from there...unless linear logic is as foreign to you as grade school math.

It aint rocket science Einstein...I have a job that allows me to work in the field 8-9 months a year and I've worked in 10 Western States over a career spanning 24 years. Again simple math...24x10...240 months x 31 days per month x 10-12 hours a day ===seen a fair bit of country.

Combine that with working with some of the best and brightest in Natural Resource Management, Wildlife Management, and related issues, top it off with 50+ days a year hunting...you havent a chance to pass off your bull$hit as facts.

OK,OK BUZZ.........YOU WIN. YOU HAVE TAUGHT ALL OF US THAT WOLVES HAVE BEEN A GOOD THING FOR THE ELK & MOOSE,.....NOW WE HAVE GOT TO FIGURE OUT WHY LESSER HERD NUMBERS ARE A GREAT THING.........THX.......YD.

BuzzH,
Once again Buzz you do a good job at dodging the direct questions! It is also clear to me that if it is your job which we believe it is to protect the natural wildlife that we all enjoy, YOU HAVE FAILED. I dont care what the excuses you have are(DEBBIE BARRET), you are paid to collect data and ofcourse you have one way of doing the research. But that is alright thanks to thoughs of us that are out there joining clubs that see the real #1 issue and that being the wolves are going to do your job for you. O I forgot you wont admit who FUNDS you!

Another note, If you want to start a thread on the political side of the numbers of elk permits,Im sure you will get alot of good feedback.

TO ALL WHO CARE.....You can see your trickster in true form or forum. Buzz would like to replace the elk hunter with the WOLF... Read his words. I'm not sure who funds him, but, I bet it would shed a little light on who he is????? I could care less who he is...but he "IS" the guy in D.C. Who knows? Maybe he was lobbying for more wolves on his trip....I guess the message is simple! People who care about their local elk population or elk hunting, you had better get involved with this fight because it is coming to us all... With the buzz plan.

Many of the people, Buzz wants to discredit... The uneducated folk's with no government funded studies. We the people who spend our lives in the mountains with the deer and elk. We may not have a degree from a liberal university...But we can see the problem!

I have a new pack of eleven who have rumored to have shown up in my back yard. I'm not going to be sitting on my hands...

LAST EDITED ON May-17-10 AT 05:44PM (MST)[p]I think non typical is correct.

Buzz,

You haven't answered my question. If Idaho sold more than 26,000 wolf tags and had a long season (several months). They still didn't reach their quota 220 wolves. This tells me, and any reasonable person, that hunting alone will be hard to even manage or control wolf populations. How can you say that wolves can easily be managed and they are not a big problem.

I would really doubt that ID will sell 26,000 permits this year with such a low success rate. Any ideas how to decrease population numbers to the 150 in each state like original plan? Will poison help?

It's not just the number of wolf kills per year. What about 1,800 wolves daily chasing and harassing wildlife? Think of 100 wild dogs chasing deer on a winter range daily. What kind of damage would this do to the deer herd. It's the same with wolves chasing/harassing elk and moose. They do it every day. Even if they are not hungry. They kill for the thrill. Like a coyote mousing. The stress drives them in deep snow. It leads to starvation, disease, and causes cows to abort their calves.

Wolves are a huge problem. The wolf loving groups don't want to stop at the current population numbers. They want 5-6,000 wolves.

You need to have some clue what's going on.

Rutnbucks, claims Debbie Barrett's not the sportsman's adversary. He loves her for what she's doing for the ranching community.

She doesn't want the elk eradicated from private lands. She wants them eradicated from the public. With elk herds mostly gone off of the public lands, where are all of us going to hunt? Smarter readers will figure this out. They guessed it, private lands that hold all the remaining elk. She then will go back and try to pass legislation to give ranchers tags so they can sell them. She has visions of selling $10,000 bull tags,to the rich, and $500 cow tags to the local meat eaters. There is no mistaking what she's doing. Following the "Ranching for Wildlife" model of Colorado. Her up and coming legislation piece that's intended to take elk off the big game list and make them a non game animal so the dept. of livestock has control, proves all of this. She wants landowners to own the public's resource. It will be another little piece of the pie for her.

If the reason for all the elk mashing was because ranchers and farmers were being eating out of house and home, then they would allow the public to help reduce those private land elk. The reason shes making FW&P give out B-tags, and 5 week either sex seasons is she knows that all those people will mean less elk left on public lands after this coming year.
Anyone who sides with this person, is more of a threat to hunting than any predator you could come up with.

huntin100, Buzz doesn't need another clue, he's come up with the answer, he gets it. The rest of you are becoming Debbie Barretts pawn.

I wanted to take a scalp,but the kill was not mine.

WYNONTYPICAL and huntin100,

First of all, who I work for is of ZERO concern on the subject at hand. I am not representing anyone or any group or any agency, I'm representing myself only.

So, I'm now officially done with that subject. The only thing that is relevant regarding my past and present choices of employment is that I spend a ton of time in the woods in a lot of states. That affords me the luxury of seeing whats happening and reporting the facts of what I see.

Do I see wolf sign in ID, MT, and WY...that would be affirmitive. Do I see wolf kills in ID, MT, and WY...that would be an affirmitive.

Do I agree with hunting wolves in MT and ID...YES, as I've already pointed out a dozen times. I'm also in favor of allowing trapping to help meet the quotas. I'm also in favor of government hunters, both state and federal, controlling wolves. I'm also in favor of ranchers killing them if they're harrassing their livestock.

That is not a pro-wolf stance, thats a pro-management stance which is what I'm in favor of and what I've always been in favor of.

To understand this issue, you dont need a degree, you need common sense and 2 firing brain cells.

The facts are as follows:

1. The wolves that were reintroduced are the same exact wolves that had already established viable populations in Montana in the Flathead and Ninemile drainages. Wolves in the Rocky Mountains were put on the ESL in 1976. Wolf reintroduction was legal, with 750,000 information documents distributed, well over 100 scoping meetings, during at least 3 open comment periods. There were over 200,000 written comments received on the issue, the most ever in the history of NEPA on a single issue. An over-whelming majority of all comments received were in favor of reintroduction, including a majority of the comments received from residents of WY, ID, and MT.

2. Wolves are now a permanent part of the landscape, they will not be hunted down to ZERO. Its not going to happen. So, calling for removal of all wolves is not only a pipe dream, but also not even worth talking about as it simply will not happen.

3. Wyoming is the reason that delisting of wolves was delayed for at least 4 years longer. They didnt have an acceptable plan, and the courts agreed.

4. The states of MT and ID held their first legal seasons, and through a combination of hunting and government control, wolf numbers were held to a growth rate of only 4%, the lowest since reintruduction.

5. Hunters kill 28,000+ elk per year in Montana, wolves kill the equivelant of 9,000 elk a year, but they dont prey exclusively on elk.

6. The EMP in MT is the biggest limiting factor on elk populations in the State, no question. With 136,000 elk, MT is wayyyy over objective. Montana is now issuing 2 elk per tags per hunter, one of which is an antlerless tag. Montana is still allowing late hunts to happen. Idaho and Wyoming also allow hunters to kill 2 elk per year. Montana sells more elk tags than there are elk in the state. Montana has an 11 week season on elk no less than 6 weeks of it open to any elk other than a spike. Some areas are open all 11 weeks to eithersex elk.

So, that leads me to the following conclusion. Since wolves are not going to EVER be eliminated, we have to learn how to manage for acceptable numbers. I will not waste my time with the anti-wolf groups who are calling for all-out removal. Mainly because they are asking for the impossible and its a waste of my time, money, and effort. Further if MT can increase the objective level of elk by changing the Elk Management Plan, just about all the areas in Montana will see increases in elk. Reducing the number of additional elk B tags for elk in Montana will also increase elk numbers. Removing or greatly reducing eithersex hunting seasons will also allow elk numbers to grow. It will also help to increase lion quotas that have been reduced by up to 90% in most of Western Montana. Extending bear seasons into mid-June will also help reduce the well documented impacts they have on calves.

Combine changing those items, along with keeping wolves at levels of NO more than current levels, and preferably closer to 750-1000 total in all three states...we're there.

Under that scenerio, elk populations will increase, and IMO and IME, Montana could easily support 200,000-250,000 elk.

On top of great elk numbers, we'd also have some nice wolf seasons and another huntable/trapable species to pursue.

Win-win.

Thats what I see happening, and I have no reason to believe it wont with the exception of Wyoming monkey-wrenching the whole thing with their idiotic stance.

LAST EDITED ON May-18-10 AT 09:04AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-18-10 AT 09:02?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON May-18-10 AT 08:59?AM (MST)

Buzz,

You say there was a comment period. Yes there was. The original numbers were 150 per state. 450 total. I and many sportsmen could live with these numbers. This number would not wipe out herds. 1,800 are and these pro wolf groups want 5-6,000 wolves. They want to end hunting and trapping. Don't say where was the sportsmen? The wolf loving groups lied. They are going against the agreement.

You still didn't answer my question. How come over 26,000 hunters in ID could not even fill the 220 quota over a very long season? Wolves populations are very hard to control. If ID wanted to kill 300-400 wolves, how could they do that? Hunting has very limited success.

You say wolves kill 9,000 elk in MT. That number is low. How many more starve from harrasment? How many cows abort calves from harrassment? There are many other factors.

Why do we need 750-1000 wolves total in the three states. No one said anything about these numbers originally. What about the groups that want the 5-6,000 wolves now?

the ESA is broken. Wolves are not endangered. Look at the numbers in Canada,Alaska, and other places. WY could have their 150 wolves around Yellowstone and Teton area. It meets the origional plans goals. The wolf Biologists said WY has met the criteria in the original plan. They don't need wolves scattered all over the state, so they can make it to UT and CO.

4100FPS,
Im sorry but you have missed the point of this thread. The point is, If you live in a state where they dont have wolves already, then you better take a stand and TRY and keep them out.......
As for your buddy buzz he trys to blame everything on the local represenatives ie Debbie Barrett. When, who are the people we employ to educate the politicians and direct the wildlife management? They are the people like buzz, the liberal biologists who think they know more than the local folks that rely wholly upon there local herds to hunt, because they dont have the money or means to hunt every state and country ie BUZZH. If the biologist cant do there jobs then why are we paying them??????? Chew on that..

Buzz
You should listen to what hunting100 is saying. The wolf seasons in Idaho and Montana are a political band-ad. The number of wolves killed in the seasons will amount to NO REAL reduction in population growth. hunting100 also makes a HUGE point AGAIN why are we even talking about thousands of wolves the number was suppose to be 300....

I was working in Gardner Montana when the first wolves were in the cages to acclimate them to the yellowstone area. The big reason they were there from the start was to control the bison... The experts said they would control the bison first. Everyone forgot that point...The wolves were there because the activists were so upset when the bison were getting shot for brucellosis when they left the park. They wanted a more natural approach. They have not done much for bison control. Maybe they will get to them once the elk are gone. Why should we listen to the experts now...

Buzz you rag on the cowboy state for holding our guns with the management plan. Wyoming has the the only plan that has a chance of real control. If you opened up the hunting year around in all the area's of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming right now you would not hit the target number of 300 probably ever. I spent weeks hunting the wolves in our area when Wyoming had it's short season. Hunted hard with snowmobiles tracking them... Once the wolves got educated to the game they were almost impossible to kill. They are the most intelligent and challanging animal I have ever hunted. You obviously have never spent much time researching how hard they are to kill. I challenge you to turn some of your high powered research to Alaska or Canada and find out how easy they have found it to control wolf numbers...

Buzz you have made some great points about the management problems in Montana. I think 4100fps explained it even better than you. I also admit to having no current knowledge of what is happening in Montana. Sounds like you have some real challenges. Challenges that maybe the sportsman should stand together on. My question to you is Why are you so hell bent on driving wedges between sportsman with your comments here on MM. Do you have such an elitist view of your self that you feel compelled to show us up on how much research you have done. And to rag us uneducated folks for standing up for what we can see with our own eye's happening in our back yards. WHY don't you take that knowledge of the system and build bridges?? That is if you are really pro-management. WHY???? I think the time for D!CK measuring in over. Let's find a way to work together............

LAST EDITED ON May-18-10 AT 04:31PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-18-10 AT 04:19?PM (MST)

Huntin100,

The reason the current level is wolves is higher is because of Wyomings lack of an acceptable plan, no question. Montana and Idaho had acceptable plans at least 4 years ago. The EIS stated clearly...and I mean crystal clear...ALL THREE STATES had to have acceptable plans for delisting to happen. Luckily, and fortunately, the USFWS realized that MT and ID were suffering for the foolishness of Wyomings plan. You want to talk about political postering...look at Wyoming, playing hardball with big brother has gotten them nowhere fast. Meanwhile, Wyoming delayed delisting for 4 years...and wolf populations grew by an average of about 15% per year.

You blame the wolf huggers...BS...just not true. It was Wyoming that delayed the delisting and has allowed wolf numbers to increase, those 4 years were critical and MT and ID lost out.

The reason that I say wolves will never drop to minimum levels is because the Biologists and States realize what will happen if they drop to levels below the minimums. They will be relisted and control will never again be given to the State Agenceis. The Game and Fish Departments are going to allow a buffer in the wolf population to ensure that they keep and maintain wolf control. Those numbers are MINIMUMS, and again that is clearly defined in the EIS. Its just smart business to not push the population levels too close to the minimums. Thats why I think that levels will likely never drop below 750-1000. At those levels there is NO chance of wolves dropping to below the minimum levels, but certainly low enough for their impacts on game and livestock to be tolerable.

As to the Idaho hunters not killing wolves...who knows, my guess is that most hunters arent aggressive enough or have enough patiance, etc.. Likely the same reason that success rates on elk are less than 30% in most of ID, MT, and WY. Lots of people hunt...but theres damn few hunters in the woods, IME. I've been hunting elk for 32 years and I've taken 42 in that time frame in areas with success rates from 20-22% for the most part. Luck? Yeah, sure.

Its the same with wolves, I bet the guys that actually do more than just shoot one while they're elk hunting will kill wolves on a very consistant basis. Its much easier to kill wolves when you target them, rather than shoot them when you just happen to stumble onto them. The same applies to lion and bears. I know several MT hunters who consistantly took lions without hounds in Montana...by targeting lions, calling and tracking them. Bears are the same way, the guys I know that actually hunt bears instead of just shooting them by happen-chance...they kill bears every year.

Plus, the quotas were filled in some areas, and I see no reason to not increase quotas in those areas to help reduce over-all populations. Thats exactly what MT is doing this year.

I doubt the wolves in MT kill 9,000 elk per year, they dont prey exclusively on elk...they kill deer as well.

WYNONTYPICAL,

How is Wyomings plan working out? How was that wolf season last year in Wyoming?

Wyoming is jacking things up for the other states, and WY is what delayed the delisting by 4 years. Their plan is crap and the USFWS along with courts agree. Whether or not I agree with the plan is of NO relevance, whether you agree with it or not also doesnt matter. The plan is not meeting the requirements of the EIS. Its real simple, and I can assure you Wyoming is not going to win the battle in court...wont happen.

RUTTNBUCKS,

You have to be the most naive person in the State of Montana. You dont hire biologists to lobby the legislature. Biologists have ZERO political clout. They are employed to manage wildlife, thats it.

Further, if they challenge the state Legislature, they will find themselves on the unemployment lines in about 2 seconds. In case you've forgotten, or didnt realize it, the FWP director is a politically appointed position. The quotas, hunting seasons, etc. etc. etc. are not set by biologists. Those are set by another politically appointed body called the MTFWP. IDG&F Commission, etc.. Very few of the Commissioners in any western state have a background in wildlife biology. You can check their backgrounds on line to see what they were...many are ranchers, real-estate agents, doctors, lawyers, and every once in while you find the token retired biologist.

Politics 101...and no biologist is going to change the mind of and/or educate a politically motived commission or State Representative. Science and political motivation simply dont align or mix with each other.

Most 5th graders can figure that out.

Buzz,
So why do we need so many biologists? If your hands are tied, why should we pay for you not to do your job? If you cant stand up for what you feel is good and right then maybe we should hire someone new. I have never said that I agree with how the elk are managed in MT infact I would love to see some change, however I unlike you am not naive enuf to think that the wolves have minimal impact on our elk numbers.

Buzz,

You said in a previous post that wolves were easy to manage. Hunting elk practices were more of a problem in elk population declines than wolves. I don't know much about MT elk management. It sounds like they have management issues, like you said.

You said hunting wolves will be more successful in the future. Bear and Lion populations can be managed using hounds, quite successfully.

We both know what wolves do to hounds.

You talk about your elk hunting success rates and the ave sucess rates 20-25%.

The success rate for hunting wolves in ID this past long season was less than 1% success. The first year hunting. Wolves were not used to be shot at or hunted. 26,000 permits sold. It's hard for me to believe that hunting alone will ever be able to control wolf populations.

Now when people think about buying a wolf tag and they know the success rates are less than 1% how many tags will they sell? Especially at non res prices 250-350 dollars.

RUTTNBUCKS,

My hands arent tied, I'm not a biologist, never said I was. I'm active with 4 wildlife organizations in Montana alone to increase elk objective numbers. I believe that sporting organizations have a better chance at forcing meaningful changes than any individual biologist. However, I do know many biologists and I do know the political climate involved in how they are hamstrung via the legislature and commissions. You take a choice as a biologist, you force the issue and risk your job, or you try to go with the flow and do what you can. Most value their jobs, and I cant blame them.

Look, you can waste your time all you want trying to get the MTFWP, IG&F etc. to kill off all the wolves. I couldnt care less, but I wont be wasting my time demanding something that isnt going to happen. It wont, and making lame excuses like wolves kill more elk than hunters, the wolves are a different species, etc. etc. etc. wont solve the problem.

There are ways to have success in increasing elk numbers, including getting higher wolf quotas...but those quotas are only going to increase to a point. I'm all for increasing the quotas, but I'm also realistic and know that we arent ever going to see the wolf populations at anything close to 300. Wont happen and I've accepted it. If you want to fight the courts, the feds, and the state to get wolves to those levels...go for it. But, I know its a waste of energy.

There are other ways that will be much more successful in regards to increasing the elk numbers in WY, ID, and MT. The first step is to demand the G&F set higher objective numbers. We can also increase the quotas on lions and bears that have largely been set at extremely low levels and reduced greatly in most of Western Montana. We can demand the agencies allow each hunter to only kill one elk each. We can ask them to reduce antlerless seasons, etc.

Those measures are something that is open for negotiations and something that hunters will have more success controlling/managing.

My point is that wolves arent going away, so we best be considering alternatives if we want elk numbers to increase. But, I would be prepared to realize that even at current levels elk are considered WAY over objective in most of ID, MT, and WY. So, regardless of how many wolves are out there, the states are hell bent on reducing the elk populations in all three states. Trying to get the livestock interests to allow more elk on the landscape is the biggest limiting factor we have on increasing elk herds.

Thats just the facts, and the livestock interests are the ones that are putting the most political pressure on the state legislatures and also the G&F commissions/directors to reduce elk populations to way lower numbers than we currently have. Quotas in all three states have gone WAY up over the last 5-10 years.

Buzz is absolutely right. We have to go at the core of problem here in Montana. Its been the legislature for a long time. Wolves will be reduced. You don't need to fret about that. The real problem is our state legislature, and commission. Remember we're at objective levels in 36 of 44 hunting districts. That means those numbers are terribly low.

This coming Monday, the 24Th RCF&W ass. is hosting a political forum for all candidates running for office in Ravalli County Montana. All are invited to quiz these politicians on any subject you wish, but we would prefer Fish and game issues. It will start at 6:00pm. We need as many sportsman as possible to send a message to these people that we hunt, we fish, and we vote. We'll find out how they feel about Debbie Barretts attempt at taking away our elk.

I wanted to take a scalp,but the kill was not mine.

When people are bringing up the 26,000 tags sold in Idaho and the less than 1% success, how many of those tag holders actually hunted wolves? My guess would be that maybe a couple thousand people actually hunted wolves, which would make the success rate closer to 10%. I know a lot of people, myself included, that bought the tag because it was cheap and an exciting opportunity if I happened to see one while hunting deer and elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom