Wolves Kill Prized Horse in MT

Midnight

http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2011/05/30/wolves-kill-prized-quarter-horse-in-darby-montana/

horse1-590x442.jpg

I owned horses and raised several show horses. This would be very upsetting to find your prized horse out in the pasture like this.

I hope this fuels the fire against the protection of wolves.

I have four young boys. It makes me sick to think the protection of these predators is adding up to the day when we will see a young child attack. A horse can run alot faster than my kids.

Maybe I won't worry about it. They will go shoot the wolves after they attack or kill my kid.

This wolf plan is awesome.

We've gotten ourselves into quite a stinking mess with this wolf thing!

Too bad it takes an act of congress to get thing moving toward the right direction.

It will be a long road to having any kind of a handle on this over-populated predator.

The animals rights folks would rather have a horses ass eaten off than let us hunt the surplus big game animals. We all know this is their agenda.

I don't think any intellegent hunter was ever in favor of the re-introduction of the wolves. We all KNEW there would be little control of the wolves once we had them "planted".

God help us all and the big game (and domestic) animals we love.
Zeke

What a damn shame such a prized animal should meet such a fate. The time has come for the states to act together to remove the protected status of wolves and manage their #'s based on sound biological principles. Until then, how many more prized horses will suffer the same cruel fate?

Eldorado

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-11 AT 04:25PM (MST)[p]I dont see any hamstringing or "take down" wounds anywhere on that horse.Ive removed cow and sheep carcass's that were killed by wolves,they didnt look anything like that,Ive been on freshly killed elk tha were taken by wolves,nothing like that.Do wolves kill horses...hell yes,was that one?DOUBT IT

NONYAMT---You must not have read everything or seen the other video of the rancher that was posted somewhere with him talking about his prized horse. Government trappers have identified two different wolf tracks and one already sprung a trap at the kill site that they are leaving there as bait. If that was my horse, I think there is no doubt that I would be waging war on those dirty SOBs with everything I had at my disposal, whether it be trapping, shooting, etc. This whole wolf debacle is a crying shame the way the antis have hamstrung us in not being able to control the damage these critters are doing to wild animals and domestic livestock.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-11 AT 04:39PM (MST)[p]Id like to see them all shot,GONE,but that doesnt look like a wolf kill,have you ever seen how fast a pack of wolves tears something up?they dont eat in one spot they eat it anywhhere they can get ahold of it.This is how they take big game down,they hanstring and pull it down....
Wolves_eating_moose4.jpg

These are the same reasons our grandfathers tried to eliminate them in the first place. It is hard for them to co-exist with humans and we humans aren't going anywhere. I don't agree with the philosophy that if we had it once we need it again. The times have changed and for better or worse we can't go back to the early 1900's.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-11 AT 05:00PM (MST)[p]

It wasn't a pack, but what they think is a pair and IMHO the picture really doesn't give a good view to make a declaration like you have. Yes, I've seen all the pictures of that moose being taken down and know how they kill just to teach their pups, for the fun of it as some say, etc. The facts on this particular incident are all out there to read if you have a few minutes, as well as watch on videos with F&G officials and the Government trapper that is onsite declaring it definitely a wolf kill due to "visible evidence" at the kill site. I can't argue that I've also had the same thought about "kill them all" sometimes when I see something like this, but being sensible I would just like to see a big percentage taken out of the huge number they have grown to in order for us to have control over them, instead of the way it is right now.

NONYA, It happened down the road from where I live, I know the wardens here well. I don't think the wolf kill story is fabricated. The evidence was there. mtmuley

mtmuley---If you live around there, I envy you because it looks like absolutely gorgeous country!!!

I saw a lot more pictures of the scene. I thought the same thing about it being a fake, and the wolves being blamed. I have heard sense that the horse died by running into a fence, and the wolves finished it off.

Same old rhetoric I see.

I wanted to take a scalp,but the kill was not mine.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-11
>AT 04:25?PM (MST)

>
>I dont see any hamstringing or
>"take down" wounds anywhere on
>that horse.Ive removed cow and
>sheep carcass's that were killed
>by wolves,they didnt look anything
>like that,Ive been on freshly
>killed elk tha were taken
>by wolves,nothing like that.Do wolves
>kill horses...hell yes,was that one?DOUBT
>IT

what do you mean you cant see any hamstringing in that photo. Too me it looks like the entire hamstring, cornhole, and hindquarters are missing!

Shoot first ask questions later. A wolf is no better then a big coyote imho. Shoot them when ever you see them cause you wont be able to control them like we did with the poison! Wolves are nothing more then a tree hugger attack on our hunting rights.

satinspocobar.jpg

Not sure if this is the same horse...but the owner Paul Shirley call this horse Poco. An article I found said this was his favorite horse. It looks like a match but I don't have any proof from the limited search I did, regardless it would suck to have your domestic pet atacked by a pack of wolves.

For the retarded comments about the wolves didn't kill it... it ran through the fence. Horses don't just run through a fence for fun. They are normally spooked by something. In this case, it's obvious it was wolves. I can't believe the stupid critics here.

The comments posted so far is proof to me that when you see things one way... someone is always going to differ with you.

Midnight

"The horse was killed within 200 yards of the Two Feathers Ranch manager's home Thursday night. The ranch is about 1 1/2 miles south of Darby.
"Our favorite horse was killed by a wolf last night," said ranch owner Paul Shirley. "He was always the one who would come up for treats and we could give kids rides on him without any worry."
The quarter horse was named Jack.
"The wolves ran him through a fence and then tore his guts out," Shirley said. "It was terrible. ... These wolves are on our property most nights, and I'm terrified for my animals. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with my livestock."

If the wolves were on my property every night like that guy says, I know what I would be doing to solve the problem and it wouldn't be shooting pictures of them!!!

I agree if they were on my property every night I would be leaving them a present.

Owners have a right to protect their property. BTW, are they not entitled to monetary compensation for such losses due to wolf predation?

Eldorado

They have the right to protect their property when they see wolves in the act or after they have already done damage. How often do you see those SOB in the act of killing your live stock.

Thats all we need is to have our wildlife agencies giving money for losses due to more predators. The wildlife agencies are already operating in the red.

Shoot em when you see em!

My cousins who live in SE Idaho had their best cow dog killed by wolves WHILE HE WAS CHAINED TO THE FRONT PORCH. They never heard a thing. We find wolf crap all over the range with black calf hair in it.

If I see a wolf while hunting...well...that wolf will die.

TOPGUN, While the Bitteroot has undergone a lot of changes since my family came here, it is still a beautiful valley. And I can still leave the crowds behind fairly easily. mtmuley

I've yet to set foot in MT, but one of these days I'm going to go out your way for at least a couple weeks and see some of that Big Sky country! Maybe I'll buy a wolf tag and see if I can help your elk out a little!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-11 AT 03:51PM (MST)[p]I have seen the other 6 photo's and I am calling pure B*llsh*t on it being a wolf Kill.

There is nothing showing any attack wounds just the big eaten out holes on the ham and the gut...

Did it just die from a howl of the wolves? and then they came and ate it out?

I say B*llsh*t on the whole story.

Robb

Yep,if you think thats a wolf kill you have never seen one.Tha stupid horse died for whatever reason and a coyote/birds ate the ass out of it.Now the rich SOB is trying to get paid for it.

BTW I have seen horses die for no visible reason on more than one occasion,if they lay down too long they can kill themselves,they arnt the smartest critters on this earth.

I can't find an unbiased article on this. I saw pics that made it look like the horse just tipped over dead. No signs of trauma whatsoever.

When animals die they get eaten on. That's a fact of life. If I had a prized animal I wouldn't keep it out in some field in known wolf country. But that's just me. With that said, it's long overdue to manage wolves.

I'm not saying it didn't happen but I would like to hear MORE about it. It's disturbing either way.

If you are
>a real Montanan, give me
>a heads-up if you find
>yourself around here. We can
>settle this like Montanans normally
>do. mtmuley

Hey!, leave the poor sheep out of this....:)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Pretty muddy looking around that horse.

You can guess about hamstring this or ass chewed that, there has got to be some sort of track in that nearby mud.

NONYA, Have at it man, I'm done with you. Getting pissed off at a computer screen is as juvenile as you are. I'm embarrassed I responded that way. You make us guys from Montana look pretty sad, but I think most here understand I don't represent Montana that way. mtmuley

mtmuley---I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over this, as he's probably also one of those experts that can score any rack put up on the site right down to the inch and then tell the guy that had it officially scored that he's a liar about the score, LOL!

http://m.ravallirepublic.com/news/local/article_4aacd6c6-96fc-11e0-9c36-001cc4c002e0.html

DARBY - A female gray wolf was caught in a trap and euthanized Tuesday morning on a Darby area ranch where a horse was found dead two weeks ago.

The owners of the Two Feathers Ranch were granted a kill permit to take up to five wolves after the horse's death.

Ranch manager Jeff Rennaker said the wolf was captured about 300 yards from his home and within 100 yards from where the horse died.

A government trapper set traps for the wolves shortly after the horse's death.

Rennaker said the wolves have come very close to being captured over the past two weeks.

One stepped on the jaws of the trap, but managed not to hit the pan that springs the trap. Sunday night, one laid down on the jaws of the trap, but the trap didn't snap shut.

Rennaker said a trail camera captured images of the wolves next to the traps Sunday night.

Officials suspect the Trapper Creek pack is responsible for preying on the horse's carcass.

Rennaker said no one is sure just how many wolves are left in that pack.

"We know there is one less," he said.

The pack is believed to have been involved in livestock depredations before, but control actions were discontinued after the 45-day kill permit expired.

"The pack has been in trouble for four years in a row," Rennaker said. "They have been given permission to remove it two or three times now, but that hasn't happened because of the 45-day rule.

"I don't want to be in the situation where we have to wait again to have a dog, a cow, a horse killed again. That doesn't make any sense."

Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks wolf biologist Liz Bradley said four or five wolves from the Trapper Creek pack were removed last year following livestock depredations.

"We weren't sure if we got the whole pack, but we did remove a good number of wolves at that time," Bradley said. "You can get a lot of turnover in a wolf population, especially when you start doing these control actions."

Bradley said the focus of control actions is to remove wolves that are keying in on livestock.

"Once you start killing wolves, you might get new wolves moving in," she said. "We try to target the offending animals as much as we can. The best scenario is to catch them on site."

The wolf that was killed was still on the Two Feathers Ranch.

"We're just glad that we got one captured before something else happened," she said. "We want to stop anything further from happening there."

Rennaker said the horse that died was not sick, injured or aged.

"He was as healthy as he could possibly be," Rennaker said. "It has been confirmed by two government officials that the horse died after being run through a fence by the wolves."

Two Feathers Ranch owner Paul Shirley said he was "stunned" when the horse was killed.

"I never imagined that a wolf would kill one of our horses," he said. "That never came into my mind. We see elk and deer killed. I wouldn't be surprised if a calf was killed, but there have been relatively few horses killed by wolves."

The ranch's horses are kept in a pasture next to Rennaker's home.

"He just looks out the window and there they are," Shirley said.

Officials recently euthanized two wolves from the Divide Creek Pack on the east side of U.S. Route 93 after the predators were suspected of killing a calf.

Owners of the CB Ranch have also been granted a kill permit to remove up to four wolves from that pack.

Reach reporter Perry Backus at 363-3300 or [email protected]

Read more: http://m.ravallirepublic.com/news/l...6fc-11e0-9c36-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1Q4ANGDoh

Doesn't say the horse was killed by the wolves at all.

Says they think the wolf (s) ate on it....

"Officials suspect the Trapper Creek pack is responsible for preying on the horse's carcass"

Robb

Robb---That is a carefully worded sentence by a Government Official designed as we say to CYA, LOL!!!

Good God, what have the Forums come to when that happens, LOL! Actually, IMHO the photos do not show enough one way or the other to make a definitive statement. Thus, we have to rely on the media and Government Officials who gave them the information and neither one of them are too darn relisable any more for straight, truthful facts anymore!

The story in the paper now states the horse was killed by the fence while running from wolves,not actually taken down by wolves....this is their new tactic,being slow and lethargic predators they simply haze animals into fences and let the wire do the work.

"I actually agree with NONYA on this."
MTMuley

>Doesn't say the horse was killed
>by the wolves at all.
>
>
>Says they think the wolf (s)
>ate on it....
>
>"Officials suspect the Trapper Creek pack
>is responsible for preying on
>the horse's carcass"
>
>Robb

huh?

"It has been confirmed by two government officials that the horse died after being run through a fence by the wolves."

They transplanted the brain of the deceased horse into a chimp so they could access his memory's and determine the cause of death,"VERIFIED BY GOVT OFFICIALS"...you really going to use that to back up your argument?Nuff said.

"I absolutely had my head up my azz "
TOPGUN

"I actually agree with NONYA on this."
MTMuley

Hey dude, at least when I f*** up I'm man enough to admit it, apologize, and go on with life. You, on the other hand, just come on here most of the time with yours up there and never will admit it, LOL!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom