Womens Protection Pistol

lone_hunter

I would like input on type and caliber for a women. I likely will be helping my sister-in-law next week select a pistol. I am not sure if she is necessarily looking for a concealable, or more for car/house protection.

BTW, she lives in Cali has been anti-gun until the recent death of her husband. Does anyone know anything about Cali conceal carry permits?

Thanks

If she has zero to no experience with a gun I would lean towards a hammerless wheel gun in .38 or .357. Idiot proof when it comes to functionality, lightweight, and very capable in either. I would lean towards the .357 and train on lighter loads. Make it hot when she carries and in the event it comes down to pulling the trigger she'll never hear it go off.

As far as permits in Kali, I think you have to summons the local king and beg his permission. I'm not sure of the ins and outs but I think it varies widely depending on which county you reside in as much of it depends on policy driven by the Sheriff. If I remember correctly, some counties hand them out quite readily while others not so much.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-11 AT 04:29PM (MST)[p]....I suggest you get her a phone programmed with 911. She has spent her whole voting career working to relieve me of my personal protection.....let her lay in bed alone and scared now.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-11
>AT 04:29?PM (MST)

>
>....I suggest you get her a
>phone programmed with 911. She
>has spent her whole voting
>career working to relieve me
>of my personal protection.....let her
>lay in bed alone and
>scared now.
>
>
>
>

+1...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

One thing I have learned over the years of selling guns. Never ever buy a gun for a woman without letting her try it out first. 90% of the time there will be something they don't like about it and it will get returned for another. Whether the slide is too hard to pull back, the grips too large/small. Don't like the trigger pull, gun is too heavy/light, wrong color, hard to load, etc.

Have you ever gone shopping for shoes with a woman. It's the same damn idea and I'd rather visit the dentist.

WOW!! some heavy (and for the most part correct) reaction going on here! I'm sorry to hear that it took the loss of someones life lead to this decision.

My big question in this is: If she had to, could she kill another person ? If not, then she really shouldn't get a gun. Conceivably it could be used as a weapon against her. Taking a life is not and should never be a light thing!

If for home protection, have you considered a shotgun? My sisters choice (pump).

If I were wearing your shoes, I'd take her to a shop that also has a range, and she could try different ones. And then have the shop also throw in a safety course/ range instruction with purchase. And then buy her a membership with the NRA and get her involved with their safety programs and Women's groups. 'While the door is open', help her recognize that being PRO-gun is a good thing!

Wheel guns are easiest in function, get a .357 that fits but only load it up with low power .38. Work up to .38 +P. Next thing you know she will prefer a 1911 service, like my wife.

As far as local laws in her area, the best advice has all ready been given; contact the local Sheriffs office. Best of luck-

Thanks guys for the input so far. No offense taken, I should clarify that she is not an anti-gun activists, but has very liberal views, and has supported political fiquires on the dark side. I think if confronted, she could do it. she is assertive. She grew up on Colorado, her dad hunted some so guns are foreign. Definately would find a place to shoot first. I wish I could take my .38 and .22 with me on the plane etc. easier, and I am not shure she will ask, but want to help her if she does.

Ruger LCR is a great light weight revolver, 13.5 oz. My wife and her friend both enjoyed shooting it. Very simple to use! load and pull the trigger. You can get them with a crimson trace laser on them, it is a great option. available in 38 +P or 357 mag.

Ruger Buck mark II they shoot great and has very little recoil, Good home protection gun IMO 10 rounds clips, she will be able to hit a 10" target right off the bat. If someone is breaking in at night that .22 will sound like a cannon. Have her try one before buy any gun regardless what it is you buy.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom