Wyo sheep area 7

M

maaco321

What does everyone think about area 7 (gros ventres) for bighorns? I've deer and elk hunted up there a few times now and always seen a few sheep, but never paid any attention to the quality of rams. Anything helps... thanks

maaco

I used to spend a fair amount of time in that area...the sheep r scattered and can be hard to find ,check out Granite creek,the north end of that drainage,,,most of those rams r the ones that winter on the bald foothills in the elk refuge...also the head of swift creek...from my experience a 155" ram is a shooter but it has been awhile......also wouldn't hurt to get in a plane and fly it to locate the sheep....Alan S out of farson has a super cub and is a great pilot....also check the Clear Creek area....hope this helps...

Thanks BLT. Ive been putting in for area 3 for the last 12 years, but I'm thinking about changing to 7 since I know the country a little better. Of course, it'll probably be another 10 years before I draw. Oh well! Such is life!

Maaco

I slammed in area 7 about 13 years ago and so did a friend. I took a 168 ram and my buddys was 162. The area is great with good sheep numbers. It is one of the easiest to draw. If you are a resident you can use llamas or horses and will need to pack into the back country. Early in the hunt few sheep can be found areas you could hunt on day trips.You will want your trips to be 4 to 7 days. The bad news is as a nonresident you will needlessly be forced to hire an outfitter. At least if you want to hunt where the sheep are the first 2/3rds of the season. Later in the season some sheep can be found in the nonwilderness Gros Ventre where you would not be forced to hire a guide (this is where I took my ram). After making 5 unsuccessfull trips into the wilderness with an outfitter.

It appears that the quality is improving. This is simply based on my own observations. Last year I spoke to an outfitter that covers unit 7 and he agreed that quality appears to be going up. Creampuff peak is one of my favorite day hunts for deer. It is getting harder and harder for my old butt to make it to the top from the highway but it is worth it when you can sit and glass sheep, deer and elk all from the same spot.

As a resident that only has 13 pts. I would consider it a priveledge to join a NR on a sheep hunt into the wilderness areas of Unit 7.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom