Wyoming 21 Antelope

copple2

Howdy Guys,

I posted this in the Wyoming Forum, but figured I'd post it here as well.

We picked up some Wyoming Unit 21 speed goat buck tags. The hunt runs Oct 15-31. There's some public (very little) and a couple of landowners we've contact for trespass fee areas. We will be prepared for mud/weather and have chains and atv's to help with that.

I'm wondering if anyone has any past experiences with 21, landowners to contact, or general suggestions? We have a plan already, but can always stand to learn more.

We are just hoping to fill a few tags with bucks...NOT expecting any trophies. We are just excited to get out and hunt. Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

jonny5

Hunted that last year. There is basically no public land in that unit. With antelope on it anyway.
Lots of hunters. Me and my buddy shot two bucks last year. I shot a young one and he got lucky with a mature one for that unit. But we had to pay a trespass fee to get to some state of Wyoming lands to hunt on.
We didn't hunt private ground per say, but it may as well have been due to it being land locked.
The weather was terrible last year. We had chains and still couldn't drive.
If you find antelope on public ground, you better be on them before the sun comes up opening morning and get them down quick.
We know how to hunt lopes so we came down on top of a herd we found in the dark the first morning while the other gomer hunters came in from the flat sides.
Needless to say they weren't happy with us when two shots rang out and the only bucks in the herd dropped but hey.. You gotta know how to hunt to make it work in your favor.
They never would have gotten a shot at them anyway. The lopes had them pegged.

I don't think we are going to 21 again though. Too long of a drive and too many people

Have hunted it twice and will never go back and one rancher I had been in touch with 2 years ago said we could hunt his place at NO COST...sounded strange but we went there.
Turns out he did NOT OWN all the land he said he had....long story and we never hunted his place per say just the BLM surrounding his small parcels.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Best advice I can give is don't to picky, get a good map, and bring a gps with the Wyoming landownership chip then take the time and put then tools to work...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, guys. Much appreciated. We'll probably be headed out there toward the end of October and will hope to find a few to hang a tag on. Any more info is always great.

Thanks again,

copple2

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom