Wyoming Antelope Help!!

B

bootspearo

Me and my buddy are trying to put together a hunt for ourselves and some new youth hunters one of them being his son. So I thought of Wyo since its close to us (Idaho) and there are lots of tags and they are discounted for youth. And if we get on the ball we can purchase a bonus point. So what would be a good unit with good draw odds with one point, that has a good number of doe tags. This will be our first trip to Wyo. I have a buddy from AZ that went to unit 32 and just got back yesterday and he killed a 76" buck and filled his 3 doe tags in 45 minutes of his hunt. So I thought unit 32 might be good but was woundering if there was a good one closer to us Idaho guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated and were not looking for honey holes just want the kids to have a great hunt and a great time. Thanks, bootspearo

Boot,
There are over 100 units in Wyoming so it is very hard to tell you the right one to put in for. There are also very few bad units, if you are just interested in killing a decent pronghorn and some does. Unfortunately for you, the harder to draw units seem to be the ones closer to the western and southern side of the state. The further east you go, typically the better the draw odds, but you also start to run into more private land over in those units as well.
So study the draw odds and find one you can get with one point. If you aren't successful in the draw, there are typically still some left over tags that you might just buy. I took my son on a "left over" unit several years ago, and while we had to pay a modest trespass fee, we found him a really nice buck. It is a great hunt to take young hunters on and you will have a blast!
Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-10 AT 06:05PM (MST)[p]lbh gives you good advice.
These two "toads" came from a leftover tag unit this year. A guy can spend hours researching harvest and drawing data. Then once you get your tag, :) the hardest part of the hunt is holding out long enough to find an antelope you want. It's all fun stuff :)

9174two_antelope_bucks.jpg

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom