Wyoming Bison tags

grouseslayer

I have just began to look into bison hunt options. I was looking at wyomings draw odds for a cow calf wild bison hunt and it appears to have a 25% chance of draw. This seems almost too good to be true. Is this for the same tags that are just off the refuge? Can you only shoot one in a lifetime cow or bull? Just looking for some general info from someone that has been looking into it for a while. Any other states with decent odds and good success rates. Not really looking to do a ranch hunt. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-16 AT 09:28PM (MST)[p]My resident buddy that lives in Sheridan got his bull up there in 2014. The bulls are a OIL tag, but he just drew a cow tag for there this year. He has a hunt set up for the first week of January. Here it is and it's a nice one.

28670img0026.jpg

We're going on our 3rd cow bison tag since they opened it up. Price for NR with lodging and everything might be same as a ranch hunt.Most all of the cow hunting is on the refuge, usually late in the season. For a resident we figured we have about $850 in our last cow hunt. That includes our lodging, gas, tag and tag and drag services. 7 1/2 year old cow aged 10 days in our garage tastes great!! Now if you fill a cow tag you must wait 5 years to apply again. Bull tags filled are once in a lifetime.

I live close enough I have options for lodging as far as using a camp trailer. What is the deal with the drag service? I believe on Eastmans when Mike shot his on the show they mentioned you have to have a guide drag it out. What is the cost of that? How does the permits work for getting on the refuge?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-16 AT 05:18PM (MST)[p]>I live close enough I have
>options for lodging as far
>as using a camp trailer.
>What is the deal with
>the drag service? I believe
>on Eastmans when Mike shot
>his on the show they
>mentioned you have to have
>a guide drag it out.
>What is the cost of
>that? How does the permits
>work for getting on the
>refuge?

Here's the link to contact Ralph, who is the smaller guy in the top picture. My buddy and his bull are in the photo at the bottom left. I have no idea what just hauling one out costs because he did a full horseback hunt twice with them in 2014 before the weather forced the big bulls he was looking for to come down into the legal hunt area.

http://www.tagndrag.com/

Only 2 outfitters are licensed to tag and drag on the refuge. You can bring your own horses or use man power. They limit the commercial activity as it pertains to tag and drag and guided hunts by outfitters.It cost us $175 to have a 7 1/2 year old cow drug to the retrieval road and finished gutting. It was well worth it. The gutting part could have been done without them but they will hang your bison and gut it and you do not have to deal with the brucellosis issue that way. Refuge permits are a draw but they have plenty fro everyone with a bison tag. You apply for the first round drawing then can pick up a 2nd permit first come after that. You must get a permit in the drawing then call the Jackson office during the season to know when they are moving on to the refuge. They will give out day permits addition to the regular refuge permit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom