Wyoming Buffalo Hunt

A

archerFox

I have a good buddy who drew out for a buffalo hunt on and around the elk refuge in jackson hole, wyoming. needless to say we don't really know what to expect. i was hoping that the mm friends could help me out! we are headed up there this weekend but dont know where to start glassing for them. Where are the herds this time of year?
what should we expect? Are they on the refuge or not? any suggestions or tips would be great! thanks guys!

I also drew that hunt and just got back from there yesterday. We saw about 400 head of buffalo and all were in Grand Teton National Park near Kelly. I came home early because they are holding up right there. The game warden said they will hold up right there until a good snow pushes them onto the rufuge. There were no buffalo on the refuge when I looked. You might get lucky and catch one on the national forest near the park but don't count on it. Look on shadow mountain and ditch creek behind the teton science school. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

http://www.huntaddicts.com/

Chesterwyo is Dead on with his post.. We hunted there last year and took 5 trips up never seen a buff until there was a big storm then they came on to the refuge!!!!

DSCF2945.jpg

Get tag and drags Number when you are up there so if you get one in a bad spot there a TON of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSCF2947.jpg

DSCF2949.jpg

$500-$800 if its the national forest, $300-$500 on the elk refuge seems to be the rates this year

I didnt get one, they were all still on the park. Had a few close calls, but no cigar. Going back out in December.

Well guys we got back late sunday night and we didnt see a thing on the Refuge till sunday morning. there were 3 on the 2 acre piece there in kelly that you have to have the fish and game with you to shoot. 2 of the 3 were killed but not by us, we showed up just after the kill shots and saw the 3rd running off the lot. at the time we didnt know we could have killed it but probably for the better because it was a younger bull and not what we were looking for. before we left we were told to come back middle of dec. and all the buffalo should be well into the refuge so that what we are planning on! thanks for the help everyone who posted. now there are around 1000 hanging on the border near kelly! lets hope they get moving!

I also was up there for a few days this last week it seems to me that the bison do know where they are safe i did see some tracks in the forest but at daylight they moved back on the park. There was one small bull within a few hundred yards of the forest but he seemed to know to just hang out where he was. I am hunting cows and i have seen as i have been told to wait for some snow so i am planning on going up when the snow starts to come in a little more. I did enjoy looking at all the nice bull elk on the forest however.

talked with the game and fish today they said the 500 bison that were hanging around kelly have moved 20 miles to the north and are still hanging out on the park. they said this morning the tag and drag guy could not even find them. so they are not sure where they are at today

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom