Wyoming season updates

teamhoyt

According to A buddy who attended the season setting meeting last week in Rawlins, all of the areas in the Lander district sound like they are going to be 3 points or better for this fall. Also In talking to one of the Rawlins Game Wardens He said they tried to cut non resident tags for this fall but the commission denied their requests. I am supposed to get a copy of the meeting packet but I haven't seen it yet. When I do maybe I can clarify a few more things. Maybe someone else has some info from their local meetings.

I don't believe the commission has approved anything yet, still time to send your comments in.

That is typically why G&F institutes point restrictions.Next year some of those units will be LQ for a test period of 3 yrs.

>According to A buddy who attended
>the season setting meeting last
>week in Rawlins, all of
>the areas in the Lander
>district sound like they are
>going to be 3 points
>or better for this fall.
>Also In talking to one
>of the Rawlins Game Wardens
>He said they tried to
>cut non resident tags for
>this fall but the commission
>denied their requests. I am
>supposed to get a copy
>of the meeting packet but
>I haven't seen it yet.
>When I do maybe I
>can clarify a few more
>things. Maybe someone else has
>some info from their local
>meetings.

Tried to cut the % of NR tags? Doesn't that take a legislative action?

Member RMEF, UBNM, UWC & the SFW Hate Club

The purpose of the three point or better is to stop the harvest of yearling bucks. At least that is how I understand it. Basically, they are trying to give bucks one year with a bone on their head before they start shooting them.
We asked for it in region K but they did not implement it throughout the entire region.

I didn't think the G&F made antler point restrictions after the draw application period in any given year, but rather it usually gives a years notice that they are going to do it.

One of the weird things they did/are doing is reducing the type 1 elk license quota in Laramie Peak, area 7. But the clinker is that the nonresident drawing was already held. The result will be lower license numbers for residents. Since the nonresidents already got their licneses issued on a higher quota, the residents will get fewer licenses and a lower percentage of the elk licenses in area 7 this year.

Seems like there should be an equitable solution for that. Advance planning would really help the residents. But G&F does make more money by selling a higher percentage of nonresident elk licenses in that area this year.

Thats interesting. Seems as though the G&F really struggles to put a plan together. I'm guessing there are LOTS of politics involved. When are the deer quotas going to be set ? I applied for a LQ unit in South Central Wyo so I'm pretty curious about the tag numbers.

ICMDEER---Are the statements you are making about the NR allocation of tags in unit 7 fact or conjecture? I find it hard to believe that they have issued the NR tags based on a higher number of total tags and that the resident hunters will be issued a lower percentage of tags based on a different lower total. I may be wrong, but my guess would be that they had decided what the total tags would be for areas where there would be a reduction so that things were done fairly in the NR draw and it will not be like you ststed. If not, the residents should draise a stink and I'm a NR speaking on this!

It might be hard to believe but it is as I wrote. I'm not one for conjecture or rumor. They announced it at the Wheatland meeting and the question was asked and answered. Nonresidents will get a higher percentage of the elk licenses in area 7 this year due to the reduction in license numbers. The decision was made after the nonres drawing, so the residents get a smaller pool of licenses.

That sure won't endear the G&F to the resident's hearts, but I guess I can see where that could happen sometimes as early as they have the NR elk application period and draw!

They added at least one type 6 Elk tag that was unavailable for the NR draw so I guess it evens out in the end.

Sounds like there will be a little less competition in 7 this year than normal. Probably be the one and only time i ever hunt this unit but every little bit helps.

I have an A plan and a B plan, wish I had a C plan too. Still working on that one.

LAST EDITED ON May-03-12 AT 07:25AM (MST)[p]The 2012 Rules & Regulations have been finalized, signed, and are now up on the G&F website for all animals. I'm worrying now as the antelope unit I put in for got a 25% cut in tags. Looking down the line at all the deer regions it looks like the G&F listened to the public and/or their biologists and really wacked a lot of buck tags off from last year's totals. Even M where I hunt was cut from the usual 1500 NR tags to 1200, which really doesn't bother me. I might have to buy a leftover tag a little sooner during the summer than I usually do though.

Topgun,
Where is that posted on the website - I've tried to find it but I have a heck of a time on their webiste finding things sometimes.
So if you can point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it!!

LAST EDITED ON May-03-12 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/HUNTING-1000179.aspx

I saw where they reduced some Antelope tags but nothing shows here on the amount of Deer tags they are reducing them to unless someone can find them as I do not see Deer total tags for a said unit or Region.

NOTICE: SCROLL DOWN SOME AND THEY ARE THERE.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

If I read it correctly, there was nothing listed allowing residents with general licenses to archery hunt deer 34. That change has been long overdue and I hope the wardens patrol it hard and ticket guys who fail to read the reg's this year...

LAST EDITED ON May-03-12 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]Triple_BB---You misread the archery section because units 1-36 are open for archery the entire month of September for those with General or LQ tags, as long as they buy an archery permit. Sorry to rain on your parade! Here's the section:

4. Special Archery Seasons. Hunt Areas listed in this section shall have special archery hunting seasons during the dates specified in this section. Archers shall possess a general deer
license or a limited quota deer license in addition to an archery license in order to hunt deer during any special archery season.

Hunt Area Dates of Seasons:

37, 120, 127 Aug. 15-Sep. 30
01-36, etc. Sep. 1 -Sep. 30

LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 01:00PM (MST)[p]You sure you didn't get that off yer CD rom. The specific archery language relating to 34 that's been in past years reg's is missing from this years reg's. I'll be checking with the G&F, but I'll bet you $20 I'm right...

I talked to the biologist in 34 and he told me that they were no longer allowing residents to bow hunt it on a general tag starting this year.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 06:14PM (MST)[p]I'll bet $100 I'm right as what is in my post was copied and pasted right off section 4 in the new 2012 rules & regs that just went up on the site yesterday!!! You can apologize and say you're sorry when you get off the phone, LOL! Below is the link for the 2012 deer hunting seasons, so go all the way to section 4 and you will see what I C/Pd. If the biologist that accubond talked to is correct in that they don't want 34 bowhunted like we are talking about, then you better call him back up and tell him they need to take 34 out of the section 4 season showing 1-36 open all of September, because I believe the number 34 still falls within that number sequence the way we do math! Read it for yourself in the attached link!

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/REGULATIONS_CH6_SUMMAP0002165.pdf

Area 34 is limited quota only, so you can't hunt that area with a general license during archery or rifle season.

LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 04:18PM (MST)[p]Please read the friggin regulation link that is in my last post. It doesn't matter that 34 is an LQ unit for the rifle season. It is listed in the area open for bow hunting for the month of Sept. in Section 4 and falls under 1-36. Why is this so hard to understand? The LQ area we hunt for elk is also open the entire month of September if we buy an archery stamp to go with our LQ license and right now 34 deer is still the same way if you have a LQ or general license if you would read the section. If they don't want 34 to be bow hunted in the special season,they need to take it out of being allowed in that category unless they can't figure out that 34 falls between 1 and 36!!!

LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 04:43PM (MST)[p]I'll take your $100 bet...and you'll lose.

There is an archery season in unit 34, but you MUST have drawn the 34 LQ tag. You cant hunt it on a general tag, as there is no general season listed under the section 3 regs.

Section 4. Special Archery Seasons. Hunt Areas listed in this section shall have special archery hunting seasons during the dates specifi ed in this secti on. Archers shall possess a general deer license or a limited quota deer license in additi on to an archery license in order to hunt deer during any special archery season.

Archers with general deer licenses shall only hunt in those Hunt Areas specified in Secti on 3 as open to hunting with a general license and may take any deer.

Its no different than an elk unit like unit 7. Yeah, you can archery hunt it ONLY if you draw and have a unit 7 LQ tag. You cant archery hunt unit 7 with a general elk tag though.

Its pretty simple...no LQ unit 34 deer tag...no archery hunting deer there on general tag. Crystal clear.

Top Gun,
Maybe you need to read the regs at your link. It states right below the statement that you cut and pasted from the link that:

"Archers with general deer licenses shall only hunt in those Hunt Areas specified in Section 3 as open to hunting with a general license and may take any deer."

If you look in Section 3, you'll see that Area 34 is all LQ, not general in any way.

LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 06:23PM (MST)[p]Gentlemen---I apologize and stand corrected and have figured it out after reading the rest of what Rossi and BuzzH posted. Incidentally, welcome to the site Rossi! Reading what I skipped does limit the resident or NR that has a general license to what you said and they would have to have applied under the LQ draw to then buy the archery permit for the September hunt. It seems like the initial paragraph could have ebeen written different instead of having to go further down to read those other qualifying statements, but you guys are definitely right! This was an instance where I just flat fu**ed up by not reading section 4 in it's entirety, instead of just the main paragraph I posted and stopped at. I hope that doesn't happen to anyone who draws a General tag and goes in 34 with that archery permit thinking they are still legal like they were in the past!

PS for Triple_BB: Send me your name and address in a PM so I can send you your $20 check, as I can't afford the $100 right now, LOL!

PPS: Where you been lately BuzzH? I haven't seen you on here in a while and was starting to wonder if it was just your work schedule or if you were under the weather.

LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 06:48PM (MST)[p]This is getting out of control:) From what I was told, residents could hunt 34 with a general bow tag. I talked with the biologist before the meeting and he said his recommendations were to cut tags by 100 and eliminate the loop hole where residents could hunt it with a GENERAL tag (even though he hunted it himself with a bow). I called a few days ago to see if the commision approved his recommendations but he was out of the office. The gentleman I was speaking with at the time told me that he was at the meeting and that the said biologists recommendations were approved for this year. I apologize if I am confusing things even further but I just wanted to clarify what I was told.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 07:23PM (MST)[p]accubond---You are a little confused because now you have stated something that wasn't in your inital post. What the biologist told you in your last post is exactly what they have done this year and what I missed by not reading the rest of section 4 below the main paragraph. They did take that biologist's recommendations and dropped the General Res & NR license people from hunting 34! Only people who draw the unit 34 LQ tag in June will be able to buy an archery permit to hunt the bow season in September, regardless of whether they are a RES or NR. I was the one who got this whole thing going when I contradicted Triple_BB and I again apologize for making that mistake and not reading the entire section 4 to see that he was correct.

I do have a way of complicating things:). I'm glad it's all figured out and hope I draw that tag this year.

TOPGUN,
I agree the first paragraph is poorly written and does make it sound as though you could hunt any of those units during archery season with a general license.

I'm not necessarily new to the site, but I tend to just read unless I see an obvious opportunity to contribute.

I'm looking at the approved permit figures for 2012. I see the reductions in non-res tags for units, but I don't see any cap on general tags for the resident. Is there one and, if so, has it decreased as well in 2012?

I'm not whining about res vs. non-res...just curious about Wyoming's management.

Thanks

>No limit on general resident tags
>in Wyoming for any species.
>

That is their Albatross. Until they come to grips with this issue the deer herds will likely never substantially improve.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-12 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]Just a dumb way to handle things when herds in particular areas are struggling. I'm all about residents having opportunity but sometimes there needs to be sacrifice for the benefit of the animals.

This along with the stupid wilderness rule bugs me about WY.

The wilderness thing is a farce that most residents agree is bogus.

As a resident of G, I would agree that limiting resident hunters in some areas would be beneficial. However, it would likely need to be more based on specific hunt area than general region as a whole.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom