x-12

huntermick

Have 8 points putting in x-12 opener is Sep 15 never been there but going to do some scouting if possible for 1 weekend at least if you had hunted there befor should I hunt high or low on the opener.And were is a good spot to start .THANKS

Bodie Hills is a good place to start. There will be other hunters, but lots of room to roam. GEt off the roads, find a high point and glass, glass, glass....all day if need be. The animals are there. But it takes patience to systematically pick the country apart to find the big boys. Water plays a huge role in any desert environment. I'd concentrate your efforts within 1-2 miles of a consistent water source.
Good Luck! -HS

My only question is why have you waited so long to hunt this hunt? You probably could have hunted it 3 times by now. Do someone a favor and share your points with them

It's as simple as this....Google x-12 deer hunting and you will find every post from this site and others for the last ten years. Every peak, valley, river, hill, and range will be talked about. Get a map and check them out. I hunted this zone last year. I found over 50 posts talking about this zone. There are no secrets about it if you do your research. If you get 1 mile off any road in this zone, you will harvest a buck.
Aaron

X-12 has lots of potential and I have hunted that zone about 9 or 10 seasons. The Bodie hills are a prime area but with hunting pressure during the first week it can be a little tough to find a quality buck. I suggest you go "high", if you concentrate along the high mountain passes you will find more deer and less hunters. At the top of "Glines Canyon" you reach "Virginia Pass" the deer migrate from Yosemite and move through the pass. It's about a 6 mile hike uphill through the canyon along "Green creek" but you will see deer along the way if you hike during the am.
Good luck,
Paul, "Nice Rack" Taxidermy

Couple of points to ponder.

1. There ain't going to be many deer down on the 15th of September.......way too hot! They moved the opener up a week. So, the deer have a choice, the Mono Basin at 100 degrees or Yosemite Park at 78 degrees.

2. We are already done with the winter runoff, so there will be very little water in springs and creeks. You better plan on hunting high and know where the water is.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

>Couple of points to ponder.
>
>1. There ain't going to be
>many deer down on the
>15th of September.......way too hot!
>They moved the opener up
>a week. So, the deer
>have a choice, the Mono
>Basin at 100 degrees or
>Yosemite Park at 78 degrees.
>
>
>2. We are already done with
>the winter runoff, so there
>will be very little water
>in springs and creeks. You
>better plan on hunting high
>and know where the water
>is.
>
>"I could eat a bowl of
>Alphabet Soup and
>sh!t a better argument than that!"
>

They didnt move the opener its always been the third saturday in september the calender is just on end this year'

(B) Season: The season in Zone X-12 shall open on the third Saturday in September and extend for 24 consecutive days

It closes on columbus day just like every year

Yes it is early on the calendar but you never know when that first big storm will come. Granted it has been a long time since one came that erly

OK I stand corrected......they did not "officially" move the season.

Regardless, it is still starting several days earlier than most years......Several days of WAY too hot weather to force any sort of migration into the winter range.

The summer range is mostly in the park, good luck hunting in there.

If hunting in the Sierra side of the zone, you are going to have to be on the very edge of the boundary.

The Bodie Hills, 2 miles from a water source and at the edge of the trees would be my choice.
Spotting scopes and Vienna wieners, prepared for a long day "on the glass".

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Thanks again for all you information we are going up on Memorial weekend for are first scouting trip . will kept you up dated. Thanks again and the best of luck hunting this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom