Y is Swarovski so good?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I've never looked through Swarovski glass but you see most of the outfitters using this glass. I'm a Leupold ($400) range kind of a bino guy. I don't have the kind of money that warrants me spending $2000 for a pair of binos. What makes Swarovski so good? What does it do that the $400 binos don't?

M'Balz Es Hari

I notice in the classified ads seems like everyone is selling their Swaro's. vortex suits me just fine.. 1/4 of the price and just as good

In the hills I have compared side by side my pawn shop Redfield spotter against my buddy's top end swaro. I can not honestly say I could notice any difference.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Probably won't convince anyone who already has their mind made up, but there is a MAJOR difference in Swaros, Zeiss and Leica high end glass.

Won't matter much if you only use them a couple weeks a year, but if you are using them several days a month, they are worth the money.

I just last month, stepped up to a Zeiss Conquest rifle scope for a new varmint rifle and after using it 4 days a week since, I still cannot believe the clarity.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Well Wisz?

You wanna be called a Pussssyy?

My old Wore out POS Bushnell had treated me Well over the last 25 years!

Decided it was time to make that Purchase I'd waited a Life-Time to do with an Up-Grade but not Top End Glass!

REDDOG & CUPSY said:SWARO or be called a PUZZY!

So I bought this High Dollar SWARO!

It ain't all that neat,Nice but Worth the Money?

They want 250.00 f'n Dollars just for a Soft Cover for it,No,they Ain't Gougin anybody!

I'll Admit it's better,but not good enough to show me that 30" Buck I've been lookin for!:D

Buy the SWARO Wisz!

Or be called a Puusssyy!

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

Besides Wisz!

Ms Wisz will never know when you Break in to that Stash of Cash you've been Hiding in your Wallet!

I had Leupolds for a few years and then bought Zeiss? BIG DIFFERENCE for my eye's. My partner has swaro's and he swears by them but when I have compared them it's Zeiss hands down for me. Maybe Zeiss just suits my eye better?? My brother still uses Leupold and he doesn't see detail like I do and I attribute that to the glasses..

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I have a Swarovski spotting scope and use Zeiss Binos alot for antler pickin'...I can't tell the difference...had the binos rebuilt twice free of charge and they have a good turn around time..

>I had Leupolds for a few
>years and then bought Zeiss?
>BIG DIFFERENCE for my eye's.
>My partner has swaro's and
>he swears by them but
>when I have compared them
>it's Zeiss hands down for
>me. Maybe Zeiss just suits
>my eye better?? My brother
>still uses Leupold and he
>doesn't see detail like I
>do and I attribute that
>to the glasses..
>
>
>Government doesn't fix anything and has
>spent trillions proving it!!!
>Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday,
>even the calender says WTF!
>
I have to agree with KF here. I use all three, Swaro, Zeiss and Leica.......my Zeiss are the easiest on my eyes for long hours of glassing. But i do love my Leica spotter!

I want to take a pair of Vortex binos and make em up to look like Swaros and see if the swaro fanatics can really "see a difference"

Buying Swaros is like buying Sitka camo @ $1,000 for a shirt, pant coat combo...

A sucker is born every minute...

You can see better early morning and better late in the day just before dark is the only difference I can tell.I have a pair and during the day not much differnce in other binos.

Agreed Devlin,

If you are using high end glass then you will not likely see much difference between the top three (Zeiss, Leica Swaro). However, if you compare any of the top end glass to the cheaper stuff you definitely start to see a difference, especially at low light.

Travishunter - I disagree as I have compared Swaro's to Vortex multiple times at low light and I still get better performance than the Vortex. I will say that Vortex does better than most though.

Is it worth the money? Personal choice, but if you spend much time behind your glass your eyes will thank you and you will have no headaches from flaws in cheaper glass.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

The only real difference that you run into, is in low light situations.....the high dollar glass will get you into times and hours where the others do not.....

littlebeaver.jpg

IMO the only thing stupid about buying swarovski glass, is waiting til your 40 to do it. Had I of done it sooner, that'd be 20+ more years of enjoying top shelf glass. If binoculars were all the same price, theres no doubt in my mind which one would be outta stock.

Completly agree withposts 10 and 11. For 60% of the hunters mid-range optics will do just fine. But for those looking long distances for hours(sheep hunters) the high end optics are worth the cost.

As noted world class sheep hunter once said "binocs weigh nothing and cost nothing".

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-13 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]Steve--

I just recently came back from a bino display/compare sales gig.

They had 8 brands of 10x42 bino's set-up on tripods and covered so ya wouldn't really know which glass ya looked thru during the compare viewing.

It was right @ 328 yards to the oposite store front (with that stores customers walking in and out--'moving targets', if you will) to compare equal distance and viewing clearness, light gathering, field of view ect...floating cloud cover and about 1000 in the morning.

I picked # 4 and # 7 as my top two choices.

I went back and forth like 2-3 times and still could not pick a difference/winner between #4 and #7.

#4 was Euro HD's (Cabela's Brand) and #7 was the Swaro EL's.

I came home, got on-line and ordered the Euro HD's...

That is my best input on your pursuit of quality bino's.

Robb

i have swaros have compared zeiss doctors swaro. you will see more game an judge them better. with these high end bino.i wish i would of had these when i was younger. i would of had more big bucks on wall.these bino an spotter are swaros. i have 4 30inchers on wall one 28 incher with 9 inch drop tine thank to these optics.yes high dollar optics are worth it if sombody say they are not ask them how many 30 inchers they have. only problem is cost. i could not afford these when i was younger cant afford them now lol. won a couple poker tournaments so bought both with the winnings. glad i did. buy the best you can afford an be happy with them. good luck

Only glass that I will use. I have had Nikon,gold rings, and they don't even compare. My Swarovskies are sweet and I glass for hours a day. Map test the others and you will see that they are more money because they are the better glass hands down. I got mine when I was 35 and I wish I had them 10 years sooner. My hunting buddy used my binocs at deer camp and 3 months later he owned a spotter,binos, and a z5 scope.most people don't need them but for people who glass long they r very nice on the eyes and the best in low light.
Ryan

Robb- thats about the best way to find out which bino works best for you. It seems that this debate will go on forever. I think it would be hard for me to drop over $1800 on binos....my wife would say the same. :)

M'Balz Es Hari

+1 longrangeshooter338. Low light, rain, snow, fog, long distance.Thats when the high end binos show you that you get what you pay for. Im glad I bought a pair of EL's when I did. I see them going for $2500 to $2900 now. You can live without them but they sure are nice !

Come on Wisz!

If you were just Gazin at Ms Wisz's Ta-Ta's you wouldn't need any Magnification!

But Damn Man!

You're tryin to improve and Magnify The Size of TARDville PISSCUTTERS!

Best get the Best/Most Expensive Glass available!:D:D:D

Back in early 2001 I decided to get some GOOD GLASS so I had heard or read about a place over in the town of Mendocino called "Out of this World Optics". So one weekend I drove over to see what they had beside Swarovski....they had all the major brands like Leica, Zeiss, Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon.
The salesman said here is the way to tell which one is best for you and proceded to gather up 3 different Tripods and then got the Swaro, Zeiss and Leica (10x40's) that is what size I wanted.
He carried two setups and I carried the other and went outside the store and across the street on the sidewalk. Then he pointed them to a house across the harbor there on a point.
He said look thru all 3 of these and focus to YOUR EYES and see which one is better for you and if more than one is equal, then your pocketbook is your guideline and left me there for about 20 minutes.

Well after looking and adjusting all 3 set ups to MY EYES, the Swarovski 10x40SLC was the clearest ones for me because I was also being hindered by afternoon sunshine and glare from the ocean in my eyes....I could see a man in his house walking around and was waiting to see if his wife or lady friend was going to walk around in there "naked:...No such luck.

So the salesman said which one is best for you and I said "I will take the Swaro's" and told him why...he laughed and said Gee, guess his girlfriend is not here yet.

I went back a year later and bought the Swaro Spotter too. Best investment I have done.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

It was all outside Russ....anything else ya want to bring to the thread?

Yes -- Steve, I do wear glasses.

Robb

I was sold on a deer hunt in Wyoming when my bro's bro-in-law said look at all the antelope on that hill over there and I could not see them thru my 14x cheapies. Then I looked thru his 10x SLCs and there they all were, crystal clear.

I had owned a few different binos and always found myself wanting to upgrade. About 12 years ago I was able to score some SLCs thru a sweet deal from one of the good guys on here. I have not had the urge to upgrade since. Only thing I wish was different is that I had waited until I was almost 40 before I got them. It was still a lot of money to me at the time, but after 12 years and still going strong it now seems like a bargain. What's a lifetime a better hunting worth to you?

It's a common thing for me to look at hillside and think nothing is on it, and then look thru my swaros and see animals where I thought there was nothing...

More than a few of my hunting buds have done the same thing I did after looking thru mine. I'm not saying Swaros are for everybody--I like the advice someone said above about looking thru several without knowing which is which, and then go with the pair that's best for your eyes.

I do know that my old eyes love those swarovski 15's on a tripod.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I've got more $ tied up in optics (spotting scopes, binos & rifle scopes) than vehicles........maybe crazy but it's true.

Can't see the difference between Zeiss and Swaro...but Swaro's customer service is INFINITELY BETTER. (Never really liked the feel of Leica so no experience with them.)

Leupold is great...all the "good stuff" is great, when it's bright outside.

Swarovski works better earlier and later and results in less eye fatigue. If you USE them, they ARE better. (Have Vortex, too and it's silly to say that name in the same sentence.)

Are they "worth the money"......up to your individual budget but they do make LOOKING more pleasant and FINDING more realistic in low light....and there is a world of difference between the Euros (have them, too) and Swarovski.

Yeah, I should probably sell some of them......but everybody needs a vice or two.

Wouldn't spend the money for high-end rifle scopes another time (already have several)....after all, you've already found the target.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

As for WHY........the effort and "perfection" of the shaping and polishing of the lenses and the coatings of those lenses. All of the "good stuff" is solidly built.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

First off, i'll start by saying that i don't own any high dollar glass. Whenever i was really flush and had the coin, seems the idea of upgrading didn't come up or i probably would have the good stuff. I don't.

Maybe half a dozen years ago, while out on the lake fishing, i proudly showed off my new binoculars to my pard who still favors his old Zeiss Classics though he also has newer and even more expensive glass.

He looked thru mine kinda like he was afraid spikes would suddenly fly out the lenses and stick his eyes out but he did look. His comment, this finally gets right to the point of my post, " Yeah, they do look very clear but bring them back out in 10 years and we'll do this test again".

He was never more right. I have had two other pair since then. Really good glass should stay really good glass for a long, long time!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I can tell a difference....I use my binos year round scouting, hunting, wildlife watching, and shed hunting. My eyes spend alot of time looking through the glass so I made the big purchase and got the 10x50 el's. I LOVE them! I looked through all the name brands and decided on the swaros. I love the customer service and the quality of their product. Personally if I was not buying the swaro I would get KOWA. KOWA has top end glass and is right up there with the "top three"

I decided a few years ago to save up & buy the best glass I could get. Kind of a bucket list deal. I ended up with 10X32 Swaro El's and a 65 standard spotter. Never regreted either deal. The bino's are awsome. You can look through them for several minuets & when you put them down you don't feel like your eyes are crossed.

Now as for the spotter. I'm not sure it's worth 2 grand just because it doesn't get as much use. Spotters are a pain to set up. However once you get it on the tri-pod, once again.. very easy on the eyes.

Sorry for the rant but if you can afford them I don't think you will be sorry.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

I heard the Locals in Cedar are trying to get High Powered Glass outlawed/Banned?

Tascos work just fine for me!

Of course, here in Texas you just have to be careful where you use them and of what you are (not) looking at!

I'm just a poor boy though, probably always will be.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Well Roy!

You been checkin out any Kitties through the Neighbors Window lately?

"""The Peepin Roy of Texas"""!:D

>Why are all the Vortex owners
>always so defensive?

Because they overpaid for a sub par product..

The fact is that none of the Asian glass can keep up with the big three.

And what make swaro's the best is the edge to edge clarity. Vortex doesn't even come close. To judge that you need to map the glass and look at how clear the edges are. the edge distortion is what prevents you from seeing as much game and gives you tension headaches.

If someone gives you an opinion on glass, if they don't mention mapping the glass and edge clarity, they don't know how to evaluate glass properly.

Remember Roy!

The Day they Confiscated your TASCO's it coulda been worse!

Coulda been SWARO's!:D

RAZZIN Ya!

Me & Jenn Still laugh over that Incident!

My biggest reason for not buying one is the weight in their full size glass. Where I really want to use them (the mountains) it makes a difference to have lighter glass! Compact glass (ex: 10x25) doesn't cut it at dusk in any brand. My Nikon ATBs are decent glass at a reasonable weight. Why can't swarovski make a lighter model?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I don't know how you can think a 300.00 pair of glass compares to a 2500.00 pair of glass. The 8x32ELs and 10 x 32's both weigh 20 oz. The 10x42EL and 8.5 x 42El weigh 27.5 oz. The ATB's you mentioned weigh 23oz.

The reason Swaros aren't super light is because they have 13 lenses in them. They do make the bodies out of magnesium though to cut weight.

>Remember Roy!
>
>The Day they Confiscated your TASCO's
>it coulda been worse!
>
>Coulda been SWARO's!:D
>
>RAZZIN Ya!
>
>Me & Jenn Still laugh over
>that Incident!

Well - maybe if I would have had Swaros then I would have actually seen what I was accused of seeing! Just glad I don't live by that crazy old bird anymore.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom