Yamaha vs Polaris SidexSide?

P

Prism

Disclaimer-"I think all ATV users that knowingly break the law should be entitled to a complimentary "tune up" by Bess!"

OK, with that being said I'm really thinking about getting a side by side. I don't have a lot of experience with any of them.

I've spent some time in a Rhino and a Ranger, and there's things I like about both of them. As of now, I'm leaning towards the Rhino. I've also got some interest in Polaris' new Razor, but I hear it has a lot of ground clearance issues and is supper noisy.

What do you think?

Theres already a ton of aftermarket kits to improve everything about a stock razor. But if your planning on using it for hunting/outdoor type stuff I'd stay more towards the Polaris Ranger or Yamaha Rhino. The 2008 rihno is supposidly a beats of a 700 that blows the 2007 away. Arctic Cat has a good looking sideXside too but don't know much about it.If I were gonna get one , hands down 2008 Yamaha Rihno.Go look at some of the ones for sale on ebay, some nice get ups...

Forgot to add the reason I'd choose something other that the razor is there just isn't much room in it.Would be fine for antelope hauling but thats about it...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-07 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]Bah... they are getting so big now why not just get a Jeep? Then you have a roof during rain and a heater on those cold days and its road legal.

-DallanC

Honda will have their new side x side out in May. Looks like a winner. Have talked to some guys who have seen them and they were very impressed.

Here is the link.

I am looking very closely at this before I make a decision. All are probably more than I need and all are probably excellent.

http://powersports.honda.com/2008models/#BigRed

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Thanks guys. I've looked at the new Honda online, but they don't give much info. I'm sure it will be a good machine but it looks really big.

I think Arctic Cat makes a pretty good snowmobile, but I've never been too impressed with thier ATVs.

I kind of agree with the Jeep thing, but I've owned 3 of those and it seems like I spend more time on the ground underneath them than I do enjoying them in the hills...:)

Ah, kind of just dreaming right now. Them things are spendy!

I'm suprised that Suzuki hasn't jumped into the sidexside market. Seems like they're losing out on a lot of potential $$$.

That thing should say TORO and be used on a golf course to haul rakes, shovels, and a hole cutter. Man Honda should fire there side x side guy he really dropped the ball on this one!!!

Just think it should be a little more sporty!!!

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-07
>AT 09:14?PM (MST)

>
>Bah... they are getting so big
>now why not just get
>a Jeep? Then you have
>a roof during rain and
>a heater on those cold
>days and its road legal.
>
>
>
>-DallanC

I use the same logic,LOL My father in-law has a 2007 rhino that I can use anytime, and with that being said I dont think I've needed it once. All the areas I hunt are wilderness and you can't use em anyways. We were going to take it to Co this year for an elk hunt with my grandfather who's 80 but he ended up not being able to go so we left it at home. Turns out we did'nt need it anyways....No elk plus you can get a pick-up anywhere you needed to. But I'm with DallanC, you could get a decent jeep for $5000 vs. $10,000 for a new sidexside with heat,air,winshield,hardtop,street legal, 75mph, and a back-up vehicle to boot.

If huntin is a sport.....Well your lookin at an athlete!

Just a heads-up.....

The FS travel managemnt plans are going to a 'width restriction' on many of the LEGAL ATV trails.

The wider an ATV is the less area's of LEGAL access there is.

45 inches wide or less on many LEGAL trails...

I would hate to see a bud dump $10k and be LEGAL on FS dirt roads only.

Robb

The Razor is the way to go. It was made so it is less then 50 inches wide and will fit through the ATV only gates. The Rhino is wider and will barley fit (scrapping) The Ranger is even wider and will not fit and is not leagal on 4 wheeler only trails so at that point get a jeep.

My Father In Law has a Razor and I love it. It is great to ride and I have never had a ground clearence problem as it has the same as any 4 wheeler, you sit lower then the others so it feels like you are going to scrape but I have yet to have a problem with it. If I had the money for one I would have bought it already. It is a blast and I definatly recomend it.

Here's one I liked.
Its diesel, which I always have on my hacienda, plus it has AC & a heater.

476004cf2dd89694.jpg

>Just a heads-up.....
>
>The FS travel managemnt plans are
>going to a 'width restriction'
>on many of the LEGAL
>ATV trails.
>
>The wider an ATV is the
>less area's of LEGAL access
>there is.
>
>45 inches wide or less on
>many LEGAL trails...
>
>I would hate to see a
>bud dump $10k and be
>LEGAL on FS dirt roads
>only.
>
>Robb

and a Polaris 500 is 48+

Locally they just restructured alot of trails making them <44" wide vehicle use only... which basically turned them into motorcycle trails. Which is cool, because they opened up some previously closed trails under the same restriction... and is a major reason I bought a mountain-capable dirt bike this past summer.

-DallanC

Dude, buy a yamaha! We have a 2004 and 2005 Rhino, and I've worked at a SideXSide shop for years.

I also write for SideXSide Action Magazine. We bought a few 2008 Rhino's and sold them to friends, that machine is sweet, they made some very good changes from the previous ones.

Buy a Rhino.

Also look for a hunting/utility issue of SideXSide Action Magazine coming out early this next year. I've got some hunting stories of mine in it

PleaseDear,

Nice they have laws, but nobody will follow them anyway. Well, maybe Prism.:)

I kind of thought about a Jeep also? Less money, heat, AC, and street legal?

I thought you were buying a Jeep JACKMASTER? One of them ugly green ones?;-)

Crimedog or anyone,
Will the Razor fit in the back of a pickup truck? If so, what bed length does it take?
Bob

">Bah... they are getting so big
>now why not just get
>a Jeep? Then you have
>a roof during rain and
>a heater on those cold
>days and its road legal.
>
>
>
>-DallanC"

That is what I think. However, I do like the side by sides. Not sure how the side by sides compare with suspension, but that is the reason I the polaris 4-wheelers.

I have a 96 Isuzu Rodeo that usually replaces my four wheeler. It gets me to the trailhead, has a good heater and air conditioner, street legal, and I can put 20 gallons of fuel in it...

>Crimedog or anyone,
>Will the Razor fit in the
>back of a pickup truck?
> If so, what bed
>length does it take?
>Bob

Well its certainly not going to fit between the wheel wells. I'd think that would be a bigger concern than the overall length.

-DallanC

Paul,
Depends on what you are doing with it. I am a Polaris guy all the way. But saying that, I use mine mostly for guiding. And when I have a 2 on 1 hunt, the bench seat makes that possible. Also you can not beat the suspension. They also can haul a ton more than the rest. Try to put a moose in a Rhino, squats that baby to the ground.
I like the Razr if the bed was bigger, but as already posted, only an antelope would fit in there. You can get them into the bed of a truck, but it is pretty tight. I went with a 5th wheel this year and pull a trailer with my ranger on the back of that.
Been in a few Rhinos as well. They are not to bad either. But like I said if you want to take more than one other person, you are out of luck. I can take the wife and 2 kids with me which is nice.
By the way, selling my Ranger to buy an '08. I'll give you a deal.

Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

Prism,
I own the RZR and love it! 1st time out could'nt quit smiling the whole time. It is a ton of fun! I have owned many atv's and this is a different game. This is my first Polaris. I've had the RZR since July and have put 1085 miles on it and no problems. I hauled my nice buck to camp with plenty of room. It's not as quick as atv's on trails but by far better than any other UTV's hands down!

I thought about buying one and decided to buy a jeep rubicon instead. Love the thing. It has sway bar disconnects and lockers, the works!

I am with Dallen except I would go the Toyota route.

Get a SWB toyota and you'll go everywhere a sidexside goes except warmer, dryer and with more cargo room.

I've put maybe 50 miles on my ATV this year, I left it in camp and used the toyota.

Joking aside, I would get a Rhino from the RIDING I have done on both of them I liked the yamaha better.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

I was seriously thinking of getting a side by side for Colorado, but then found out that over 50 inches is not legal on ATV trails there, so will have to settle for a normal ATV.

\
txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Here is the way it is stated in Colorado regs:

"Only vehicles LESS THAN 50 inches wide are allowed on trails that are open to motorized travel.

Specs on RZR list it AT 50" in width, so by the letter of the law, it would not be legal, would it?

txhunter58

http://www.asvi.com/scout_main.cfm

I know you weren't asking about this, but this company is awesome and is the industry leader in tracked vehicle inovations. they are made in Grand Rapids MN. It is more than likely expensive, havent seen a price for it but wow!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/uploads/post-225-1187067843_thumb.jpg[./img]

ROFL...

-DallanC

Thats funny,

On a side not I have completed step two on my jeep hunt.

Step 1 was to clean out the 72cj5 of 20 years worth of dirt, dust, spider webs, hornet/wasp nests etc..

Step 2. find an engine!! I found an AMC 304v8 for it that is not seized!! now I need to start the rebuild on it.

I did send an email to the San Juan National Forest headquarters and they replied that the current regs state that you are OK as long as the vehicle is not WIDER than 50 inches. Therefore the RZR would be OK.

Still, over $10,000 for such a vehicle is a big chunk of change.

txhunter58

I have hauled over 15 bulls and 5 dear out of some pretty nasty stuff and in all kinds of terrain and weather with my Rhino. I have had a whole bull myself and my hunter along with are gear on more than one occasion and had no problems!! This thing is a serious work horse, it's the hardest working bike I have had period!!

Son

I have not had any problems with the razor and ground clearnce when I have been on it. You feel like you will hit because you sit so low (different feeling then riding a sportsman where you feel like you will roll after every turn) but I have yet to scrap the bottom and this includes coming out of creek beds where it goes straight up and then back down.

Prism -

If you know cat sleds then you must know that Arctic Cat = Suzuki! Same thing -different plastic -on the wheelers is all!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom