Yote hunting

This may sound like a dumb question but what do you do with the yotes after you shoot them? I want to start taking my boys out hunting, but am unsure as to what to do with the dead ones.

Thanks.

I usually just leave them where they fell but you can skin them out and have them tanned..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I also just leave them lay unless i know somebody that wants them to skin and tan i'll keep them.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-09 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]COLLECT ALL YOUR KILLS TILL THE END OF THE DAY,
THEN TAKE A NICE PACK PHOTO AND LEAVE THEM FOR THE BUZZARDS & RAVENS!! THEY GOTA EAT TOO!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
4af09d0a22bed418.jpg

Leave it, then come back the next day and shoot another one while he's chewing on it.

You won't want to get 10 feet from, let alone skin out a big, STINKY (and I mean stinky) male. The first dog I killed was a mature male, and I about barfed from the reek! Amazing the buzzards will even eat them!

+1 x10!! Hell I think coyotes give a skunk competion when it comes to reeking!! I skinned one big old male and got fleas all over me and the funk was so bad I was gagging. That was the first and last for me, I don't know how them fur hunters do it.

Just details.
4af1c2d7424c4a75.jpg

I killed a BIG STINKING male coyote a few years ago. He was so big and pretty I wanted the hide tanned.

My taxidermist tried and tried to get me to skin it for him but I wouldn't and I don't know how he did it.

Like someone posted above, when I walked up on him I noticed the BAD smell from about 12' away.

I almost always leave them there. What I have wanted to do with them is cut off the tails and hang a bunch of them on a rope like turkey beards. The tails look pretty to me and is a good way to make a trophy out of a yote. Just put some borax on them so that the bugs dont get on them. Or you could skin them and tan them.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-09 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-09 AT 09:14?AM (MST)

Elksniper, That's a cool idea ! I think you will still have to split the tails and take the bone out cause even with borax those damn carpet beetles will start munching on them and you will have a mess. I like collecting skulls and big yote skulls make a nice trophy that is bug resistant. I just cut the head off and put in a black garbage bag under an upsidedown metal shopping cart. ( so other critters don't make off with it) down on the North end of my property. leave it there till the bugs flesh it out completely then after a month retrieve the skull and simmer it in a tub of water and 4 scoops of oxyclean powder to finish the cleaning & degreasing process as it whitens it real nice.
4afc4b9a696586de.jpg

Just details.
4afc2eea4df740ec.jpg

thats a cool idea OLBUZZTAIL. never though of oxiclean! do you have any problems with the teeth fallin out?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-09 AT 07:20AM (MST)[p]Dogkiller82, Using the insect/bacteria method you will have some teeth that come loose sometimes and I just put a dab of Elmers glueall on any that are loose,and I forgot to mention that this method only works in warmer weather when the insects are active.. If you have more patience and time to mess with it then adding the oxyclean to your water while simmering the freshly skinned out skull you will be amazed at how fast and easy the meat disolves and loosens from from the bone all the while whitening the skull really nice. you still have to scrape and pull meat from the skull but it is a hell of alot easier than with just plain water. and you won't have a yellowy greasy skull when finished. I do alot of European deer/antelope/elk etc as well and this has always worked great for me.

Just details.
4b191a8c2bc68a59.jpg

Both the tail and skull ideas are awsome. Thanks for sharing guys. I think I might start doing that with the tails for sure.

we usually roll the tails you have to cut em about half way down the cartilage then grab ahold of the bone and pull the rest way. then shove a tube to the bottom and pack with salt or borax.no probem with bugs and hang just fine.
simo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom